3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Thinking about selling, what should I ask

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Thanks maxinout93

I have only entered 3 shows here, 2 first and a 2nd. Problem is here they worship Corvettes and don't have many shows that even have a class for imports. You tend to get a lot of "who cares, all imports are crap" statements. Sitting on a parking lot for 5 hours isn't very fun for just a piece of plastic. Car shows bore me. I would rather drive and enjoy or just sit the back yard smoking a cigar.

Plus my job has me working 60-90 hours a week so my rare time off is better spent doing laundry and trying to relax and unwind.
dunno if you've read every single post.... but what sort of insight have you drawn from the thread thus far?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 PM

If you really what to sell it start @ $10K for the serious only! It's truly a beauty! What are the performance numbers as far as 0-60 mph, 60-0 braking distance, 1/4mile times, 0-100 mph/sec, you know etc...Someone will take that off your hands but I would make them pay for it do give it away....I'll only regret it for the rest of your life...especially everytime you see a 3rd Gen!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Problem is here they worship Corvettes and don't have many shows that even have a class for imports. You tend to get a lot of "who cares, all imports are crap" statements.
i know what you mean, everyone that i knew from highschool called my maxima Jap Crap except for one of my friends who likes skylines, supras, silvias, etc. too. i was always there with the clean maxima and few people noticed me but when a 16 year old girl came in some crazy $40,000 muscle car that her parents got her (GTO or something like it) there was always a crowd around it and i to this day cant stand muscle cars still.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM

I don't dislike muscle cars or Corvettes. I love muscle cars and if I wasn't offered more than I paid for my Challenger, I would still have one. My issues with Corvettes is never with the car, it is with owners that feel they have a right disrespect others simply because they own one. They are still the best sports car America has. It may be the only world class American car.

Caped, I have read every post. I would be disrespectful to post the question and not read the responses. I appreciate all of the response. A swap is not going to happen. If I were to go that route, it would be much more dramatic than a VE5 swap. I would have to go more extreme, or why do it.

I have thought about posting it on craigslist and ebay and a few modified car for sale sites and asking aroud $9k and see what response I get. But I have also considered what most here have said..just keep it.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I don't dislike muscle cars or Corvettes. I love muscle cars and if I wasn't offered more than I paid for my Challenger, I would still have one. My issues with Corvettes is never with the car, it is with owners that feel they have a right disrespect others simply because they own one. They are still the best sports car America has. It may be the only world class American car.

Caped, I have read every post. I would be disrespectful to post the question and not read the responses. I appreciate all of the response. A swap is not going to happen. If I were to go that route, it would be much more dramatic than a VE5 swap. I would have to go more extreme, or why do it.

I have thought about posting it on craigslist and ebay and a few modified car for sale sites and asking aroud $9k and see what response I get. But I have also considered what most here have said..just keep it.
well unfortunately i think one thing that really hurts the asking price is the fact that you still have a n/a VG in it, and tho you have most all of the power bolt-ons, you still don't have much more than 180ish crank HP, and a non-LSD automatic. If it were turbo with manual and LSD, it would easily get much higher offers... it's nothing against what you've done, because you certainly have done alot to the car, and did it well, but you didn't do as many 'money maker' mods, so to speak.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 PM

thats true, a turbo would make it worth alot more.

i still say keep that thing, 3rd gens wont be around forever and remember, these cars had good technology for the year. if they become rare you'll regret getting rid of it
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn man!! so are u gonna sell it!? Cause iam sooooooooooo interested!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Max93sePat
Damn man!! so are u gonna sell it!? Cause iam sooooooooooo interested!!!
So don't sell it to him ^^
Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Thanks guys. You are all probably right. I was hoping, if I did sell to see north of $7K.
No way I sold mine for less and that was 3 or 4 years ago. Kinda wish I hadn't though didn't even get close to a quarter of what I put into it but oh well
Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 AM

jonmandude, just jump on the bandwagon with the rest of us and stop modding the max and store it in the garage (if you have one) and buy another newer car. but you have to understand that no one will give you more than $2500 for your car just because it is nearly 20 years old and you have modded the hell out of it. there is just no way. even Jason (N34JZ) said that he didn't get what he thought he was going to get and he dumped a lot into his '92 SE, still one of the most beautiful red SE's i have ever seen.

Jason: whats up buddy? long time? hows the 5 doing?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
jonmandude, just jump on the bandwagon with the rest of us and stop modding the max and store it in the garage (if you have one) and buy another newer car. but you have to understand that no one will give you more than $2500 for your car just because it is nearly 20 years old and you have modded the hell out of it. there is just no way. even Jason (N34JZ) said that he didn't get what he thought he was going to get and he dumped a lot into his '92 SE, still one of the most beautiful red SE's i have ever seen.

Jason: whats up buddy? long time? hows the 5 doing?
Good, I would love a 6 though. Funny I keep going from sedans to coupes then back do sedans.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
Good, I would love a 6 though. Funny I keep going from sedans to coupes then back do sedans.
yeah those things are amazing but the rear are so damn uncomfortable. sorry jon we will be back on topic and Jason don't be a stranger buddy.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should try to get rid of it, no point in wasting a car and paying insurance on it if you don't use it. besides, it'll rust to hell in no time if you don't drive it and constantly car for it.

IMO, that car is worth as much as that engine does. I can tell you put alot of time and money into it, but frankly, the rear of the car trunk/lights/bumper do not line up well at all. the car is an old car. but that engine is sweet.

good luck with whatever you decide, it'll be an expensive lesson either way.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
sorry jon we will be back on topic
No worries. this topic has pretty much run it's course anyway.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

you should ask....''who wants to buy my car?''

imho
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
No turbo, no care!

No worries. this topic has pretty much run it's course anyway.
I am currently looking for a CLEAN shell, so you should sell it to me and see it live on as a turbo maxima! I would even let you drive it
Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
I am currently looking for a CLEAN shell, so you should sell it to me and see it live on as a turbo maxima! I would even let you drive it
This would be interesting. Can you imagine how many people would see that distinctive paint job in a place like Chiago?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

If you decide to part it out, I'm in for the shell... I've got a rusted strut tower on my 3rd gen and I'm dying to drive the damn thing but I cant
Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 AM

first i was going to suggest putting it in shows, due to the rarity i figured it would win pretty easily. however when i read further i found youre not fond of car shows

then i was going to suggest taking it to the track and smoking hondas. upon reading further still i found that it still hasnt learned how to run

why would you modify a car in the "all show, no go" manner??
to me, if a car isnt fast, it shouldnt look fast no matter what it is.
there is no sense in putting tons of money into a lot of exterior mods when the heart is barely beating

no disrespect intended, the thing looks amazing to say the least. but why, oh why would you put a gtr badge on something that doesnt run like a gtr????? at least a standard swap would make it worthwhile to me.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 PM

no offense, but yeah, i was going to say too the GTR badge is a bit riced if the car has stock horsepower
Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Keep it and mod the engine and trans. I have a stock VG also and want to do all the stuff you have (almost) but want to either do a VQ35 swap or build and turbo the VG. With addition of a LSD built auto or manual trans, that would make it lots of fun too. That's what I would do next and just keep it for posterity. 300-400+ HP here we come
Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Sell the Frontier instead! its a gas guzzler that probably is as fast as the max if not slower!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Sell the Frontier instead! its a gas guzzler that probably is as fast as the max if not slower!
No way. Once you own a truck, you realize that you almost need one. Besides I just put a smaller pulley on the blower.