3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Does this rear main seal need replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:34 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Does this rear main seal need replacing?

Old 07-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Nehhhh, just clean it up and throw some RTV on there hahah.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM

No just for practice just put the transmission back in the car and see how long it takes before it's locked up?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

in for pics of the backside of your flywheel....
Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM

No flywheel pics This is my blue automatic VE that I'm currently swapping to a 5 speed. That is if I can ever track down all the piddly little crap I still need
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM

wow and i thought mine was bad...
Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by James92SE
No flywheel pics This is my blue automatic VE that I'm currently swapping to a 5 speed. That is if I can ever track down all the piddly little crap I still need
oic. i noticed you already did the pilot bushing and installed the shifter. what are you still missing, specifically?

and wat about flexplate pics?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
oic. i noticed you already did the pilot bushing and installed the shifter. what are you still missing, specifically?

and wat about flexplate pics?
Wait, you have me confused now, what do you mean by "did the pilot bushing"? I took that picture before I pulled the pilot bushing out. In all the threads I read, people said you didn't HAVE to remove the pilot bushing (but then have to do the align-the-clutch-with-the-tranny-on method), but I have a pilot bushing puller tool so I pulled it right out. So, as of right now, the pilot bushing is out and I was planning on pushing in the copper (?) bushing from my clutch kit when it arrives. Isn't this the stock way?

I still need 1 flywheel bolt (found all but one scrounging through the garage), as well as the pressure plate bolts/washers, and the front chassis mount (I thought these were the same between auto and manual and they look identical but one is just slightly wider). I think I may need a few of the actual transmission to bock bolts as well, but I haven't looked through my box of stuff in the attic yet (pretty sure I have them in my VE30DE goodies box up there).

Although, I have realized that I bought VE-5 axles for nothing. Of all the dozens of threads I read, there was one guy in several of the threads (can't remember his name) who claimed VE-5 and VE auto axles were the same, and he was soundly "corrected" (nearly flamed in some threads) by everybody else. So, I believed everybody else and bought VE-5 axles. Well, that guy was right, VE auto and VE-5 axles ARE the same as well as the carrier bracket.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Wait, you have me confused now, what do you mean by "did the pilot bushing"? I took that picture before I pulled the pilot bushing out. In all the threads I read, people said you didn't HAVE to remove the pilot bushing (but then have to do the align-the-clutch-with-the-tranny-on method), but I have a pilot bushing puller tool so I pulled it right out. So, as of right now, the pilot bushing is out and I was planning on pushing in the copper (?) bushing from my clutch kit when it arrives. Isn't this the stock way?

I still need 1 flywheel bolt (found all but one scrounging through the garage), as well as the pressure plate bolts/washers, and the front chassis mount (I thought these were the same between auto and manual and they look identical but one is just slightly wider). I think I may need a few of the actual transmission to bock bolts as well, but I haven't looked through my box of stuff in the attic yet (pretty sure I have them in my VE30DE goodies box up there).

Although, I have realized that I bought VE-5 axles for nothing. Of all the dozens of threads I read, there was one guy in several of the threads (can't remember his name) who claimed VE-5 and VE auto axles were the same, and he was soundly "corrected" (nearly flamed in some threads) by everybody else. So, I believed everybody else and bought VE-5 axles. Well, that guy was right, VE auto and VE-5 axles ARE the same as well as the carrier bracket.
i'm pretty sure the tranny-end of the driverside axle is different from VEA to VEM....... passenger side is probably the same for either tho.

anyhow your pilot bushing is for the m/t in that pic. the a/t pilot bushing is different (note how it's thicker and flush with the lip of the crank... and has a slightly larger bore?) . if you are installing a 5spd on that car, you're good to go with regards to the bushing (which is only for the clutch alignment tool). If you didn't have the bushing in there you would have to leave the clutch loose, install the tranny, tighten the clutch bolts via the starter hole, then pull the tranny, torque the clutch bolts, and THEN reinstall the tranny.

and i MIGHT have a spare flywheel bolt that i got from Greeny (since he gave me 8 from his VE but i only needed 6 on nc90gxe's VG). next time i go over to sam's house i'll see if i can find one.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM

i'm pretty sure the tranny-end of the driverside axle is different from VEA to VEM....... passenger side is probably the same for either tho.

anyhow your pilot bushing is for the m/t in that pic. the a/t pilot bushing is different (note how it's thicker and flush with the lip of the crank... and has a slightly larger bore?) . if you are installing a 5spd on that car, you're good to go with regards to the bushing (which is only for the clutch alignment tool). If you didn't have the bushing in there you would have to leave the clutch loose, install the tranny, tighten the clutch bolts via the starter hole, then pull the tranny, torque the clutch bolts, and THEN reinstall the tranny.

and i MIGHT have a spare flywheel bolt that i got from Greeny (since he gave me 8 from his VE but i only needed 6 on nc90gxe's VG). next time i go over to sam's house i'll see if i can find one.
I guess I shall have to check. I measured them and they certainly look identical, although I haven't drug out either of my spare 5 speed transmissions yet but I'll verify shortly by seeing if the auto axle will go into the manual transmission. I remember a guy in one of the threads stated he was running auto axles in his VE 5 swapped car and I'm not sure why he'd make that up? Nonetheless, I will verify 100% for future reference

How could that be the m/t pilot bushing? That engine is a factory VE auto, and I took that pic immediately after taking off the flexplate and t/c. All the JDM VE swap threads I read the guys took that bushing out (Jeff I remember for sure, Matt I remember mentioning cutting his out in another thread) and installed the m/t pilot bushing (which I understand to be just the thin copper sleeve). I dunno, our pics look identical to me

I could have sworn the m/t bushing is literally just a copper thin sleeve thing?

I did the same thing on my JDM VE that's on the stand in my garage ready to go in one of my cars, and already installed the flywheel and everything so now I'm hoping I didn't remove it for nothing. Although, crap, now I just remembered I didn't put that stupid plate in between the flywheel and the block first
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I guess I shall have to check. I measured them and they certainly look identical, although I haven't drug out either of my spare 5 speed transmissions yet but I'll verify shortly by seeing if the auto axle will go into the manual transmission. I remember a guy in one of the threads stated he was running auto axles in his VE 5 swapped car and I'm not sure why he'd make that up? Nonetheless, I will verify 100% for future reference

How could that be the m/t pilot bushing? That engine is a factory VE auto, and I took that pic immediately after taking off the flexplate and t/c. All the JDM VE swap threads I read the guys took that bushing out (Jeff I remember for sure, Matt I remember mentioning cutting his out in another thread) and installed the m/t pilot bushing (which I understand to be just the thin copper sleeve). I dunno, our pics look identical to me

I could have sworn the m/t bushing is literally just a copper thin sleeve thing?

I did the same thing on my JDM VE that's on the stand in my garage ready to go in one of my cars, and already installed the flywheel and everything so now I'm hoping I didn't remove it for nothing. Although, crap, now I just remembered I didn't put that stupid plate in between the flywheel and the block first
i know in my thread Alex_V (phaggot extraordinaire) stated he was running VG auto axles on his VG5 car. I haven't seen anyone say anything about VE axles.

As for the bushing... i am blind or tired, one.... because your pic still shows the a/t bushing clear as day. how i missed that, i have NO idea. anyhow... aligning the clutch will be easier if you pull that chunky bushing out and put a m/t bushing in.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 PM

i know in my thread Alex_V (phaggot extraordinaire) stated he was running VG auto axles on his VG5 car. I haven't seen anyone say anything about VE axles.

As for the bushing... i am blind or tired, one.... because your pic still shows the a/t bushing clear as day. how i missed that, i have NO idea. anyhow... aligning the clutch will be easier if you pull that chunky bushing out and put a m/t bushing in.
todamax said he's running VE auto axles in his VE 5, and I tend to believe him after comparing mine. Again, I'll verify in a week or two, but I don't see why he'd be randomly lying. Plus, they're most definitely the exact same length driver side to driver side and passenger to passenger (contrary to Brian's specs he posted) and all the "measurables" are identical between my VE 5 and VE auto set.

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-sticky-2.html

Okay, so I did remove that bushing. And I shall install the thin m/t bushing when my clutch arrives. I think we are good to go then
Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 AM

some VE AUTOS are not the same cuz some of the VE AUTOS did not come with VLSD so inner joint wont work but outer joint will just work fine...ask me, i had to make a hybrid axle to make my transmission and ABS happy...inner joint from a NON-VLSD axle and outer joint from my current VLSD axle ( which someone probably put it in before me and it was just working fine i didnt even notice it...i noticed it wen i was inspecting my control arms and i saw that the axle wasnt fully engaged in the transmission we pulled it out and saw that the transmission had only one groove for the axle and the second groove of the VLSD axle was just working as flowing the fluid around in tranny but since it was longer than NON-VLSD it had a little space between seal and the sealing point of the axle....long story u can see this thread lol....

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...e-problem.html

Last edited by burhan92SE; 07-19-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
some VE AUTOS are not the same cuz some of the VE AUTOS did not come with VLSD so inner joint wont work but outer joint will just work fine...ask me, i had to make a hybrid axle to make my transmission and ABS happy...inner joint from a NON-VLSD axle and outer joint from my current VLSD axle ( which someone probably put it in before me and it was just working fine i didnt even notice it...i noticed it wen i was inspecting my control arms and i saw that the axle wasnt fully engaged in the transmission we pulled it out and saw that the transmission had only one groove for the axle and the second groove of the VLSD axle was just working as flowing the fluid around in tranny but since it was longer than NON-VLSD it had a little space between seal and the sealing point of the axle....long story u can see this thread lol....

Well, I read your thread and it gave me a headache

Anyway, I see that your particular VE auto does not have VLSD but since your factory transmission code on your car from the factory ended in "V" it means your car HAD to have come with VLSD originally (and again, I haven't and nobody else has ever seen a non-VLSD factory VE auto).

Unfortunately, your case must have been an issue with the rebuilder doing that and not making it clear. So, assuming random rebuild jobs that turn the VLSD tranny to non-VLSD tranny aside, I'll still venture to that ABS aside VE auto and VE 5 speed axles are the same.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE

yea.. well with yours, the rebuilder did not have any V trannies so he probably just put your bellhousing on an A tranny... cuz the 3rd and 4th gen DOHC auto trannies actually have interchangeable bellhousings and identical harnesses and shift cable hookups (hence how come aaron92se has his stock 3rd gen tranny bolted onto his vq35 engine, just using a 4th gen bellhousing)