3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just got a Magnaflow... But it sounds like CRAP! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Just got a Magnaflow... But it sounds like CRAP! Need Help

Just went to the muffler shop to get a few things fixed and installed on my 91:

I went there with the intentions of finding the leak around my manifold. While searching, they found a stud broken off. But told me they didnt do work like that. They also found leaking around my flex pipe and re-welded for free. Next, They put on a magnaflow muffler (Dont know the part number)

While there, before they installed it they held it on and revved the engine and it sounded great! But NOW with the leak around my manifold sounding worse than ever, Coming out of first gear (Its an automatic) it sounds terrible, but once it gets around 3/4k rpm it doesnt sound bad.

Not really trying to go to a midas to get this done b/c they were the ones who welded on the leaking flex pipe :/, but is there a way I can do this on my own? I really hate driving around sounding like i have a fart can on my car now...

Last edited by -ReLLiK-; 08-02-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm sure that's the 6" round with the 14" body ( too small for a Maxima)... Why not a 6" round, 18" body, with a 18-24" resonator? Do you still have a resonator?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Threadjack:

What size tires are you running? I have those same wheels on my new black VE (with the stock 5th gen tires), and the fat tires make them look pretty fugly. Yours look pretty good though
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM

i ono sounds legit to me
Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 AM

Do u have an Equal length y-pipe?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 AM

of course it sounds like crap, its an aftermarket MUFFLER. if you're gonna do exhaust mods why not get a full catback??
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM

OK Went to Tuffy :/. They lifted it up and seen that the Y-Pipe was pretty much hanging there by a thread (of rust lol). Im guessing that the muffler shop that re-welded the flex pipe was pretty much trying to weld over the rust which only held for about a day. So I got a new Y-Pipe installed and now it purrs like a kitten. Or maybe a Mustang?? And the broken stud is still there but they were saying that I may possibly have to pull the head in order to get to it, but its not really a prob at all for now.
Ill post a vid of it with the new Y-Pipe installed soon.

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm sure that's the 6" round with the 14" body ( too small for a Maxima)... Why not a 6" round, 18" body, with a 18-24" resonator? Do you still have a resonator?
Eh I dont know. I traded a golf putter i dont even use for it so I didnt really purchase it. And no I got my resonator removed.

Originally Posted by James92SE
Threadjack:

What size tires are you running? I have those same wheels on my new black VE (with the stock 5th gen tires), and the fat tires make them look pretty fugly. Yours look pretty good though
Lol its all good. Omg I had 225/55/17s on it and it was terrible so I know what u mean. It wasnt good AT ALL for the car. I have Continental ContiPro 225/45/17s on it now. It hugs the road like a beast!

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Do u have an Equal length y-pipe?
Nah not at all.

Originally Posted by austin from texas
of course it sounds like crap, its an aftermarket MUFFLER. if you're gonna do exhaust mods why not get a full catback??
Lol not anymorreeee. And I would have gotten a pacesetter catback. But Like I said I got it for free and plus I hate putting money into an Automatic :/.

Last edited by -ReLLiK-; 08-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-

Lol not anymorreeee. And I would have gotten a pacesetter catback. But Like I said I got it for free and plus I hate putting money into an Automatic :/.
true, you could always make it a manuuuaaaaal
Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Nuttin wrong wit puttin money into an auto, juss dont do performance upgrades. but this muffler sux, and yea dont waste ur time on a catback why dont u go 2 junk yard and get a stock 1???
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM

For some reason when you turned your car off , it sounded kinda funky. i use to have a magnaflow, never liked it too much. now i have a g35 sedan exhuast with 2.25 custom piping, sounds way better.heres my difference :

magnaflow: http://vimeo.com/2945250

G35 Sedan exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiKVcJxvkg
Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

any chance OP and stwodahorty could make videos of these under load? like uh... put the camera up underneath the car (where the wheels won't run over it) and then just floor it as you are driving away from the camera? lots of exhausts sound good at idle, but not all sound great under load......... like mine.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:47 PM

i could do it, so you just wanted me to turn the camera on and drive passed it? lol
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM

haha was kinda scary doin it, was afraid i was gonna run over my cam, but im uploading right now. post soon.

Last edited by Stwodahorty; 08-03-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
For some reason when you turned your car off , it sounded kinda funky. i use to have a magnaflow, never liked it too much. now i have a g35 sedan exhuast with 2.25 custom piping, sounds way better.heres my difference :

magnaflow: http://vimeo.com/2945250

G35 Sedan exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiKVcJxvkg
i like magnnflow better tho ...wat magnaflow series is that?...
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM

street series 14815
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8145
paid 150 bucks for it on ebay with free shipping.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM

Here you go Capedcadaver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgBZNN5VOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-xWmiERjV0
"This video is still being processed. Video quality may improve once processing is complete."
Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM

dude lol....i think we wanted to see it the other way like u put the cam on the back where u start the car and just take off so we can hear it from the back how it sounds, something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3bI...eature=related
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM

well he wanted to hear how it sounded, so i didnt think it would matter lol
Old 08-03-2009, 05:43 PM

weird, ive got a magnaflow on my 3rd gen and its awesome, it gives a good sound without being loud or riced
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM

well he wanted to hear how it sounded, so i didnt think it would matter lol
I think what Caped meant was to place the camera inside the car while driving it, to get a better impression under a load which is so true! By the way did that lttle 14" Magnaflow twin muffler drone alot during driving? IMO it sounds better than the G35 just revving it. You seem to have a really big resonator which explains why your exhaust sounds so mello. How big is the resonator? How's the G35 during highway cruisin? It sounds really quiet!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Here you go Capedcadaver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgBZNN5VOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-xWmiERjV0
"This video is still being processed. Video quality may improve once processing is complete."
Originally Posted by burhan92SE
dude lol....i think we wanted to see it the other way like u put the cam on the back where u start the car and just take off so we can hear it from the back how it sounds, something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3bI...eature=related
heh yea, i meant something like burhan's link. i really thought my idea would work better... that or your car is just REEEEALLY quiet haha. o well... i guess i'm kinda like what the Top Gear guys always say... "Ambitious... but rubbish". maybe cuz the mic was facing up instead of toward the back of the car? hmm who knows...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by biggz2332
Nuttin wrong wit puttin money into an auto, juss dont do performance upgrades. but this muffler sux, and yea dont waste ur time on a catback why dont u go 2 junk yard and get a stock 1???
The point of me putting money into any car woult be either:
1.- Fix what is broken or missing
2.- Performance

and you can only get so much out of an auto. And its not the muffler that sucks, it was the y-pipe that was rusted to hell.
And im uploadin a vid similar to the mustang drive away vid that was posted, so u can hear it under load
Old 08-04-2009, 03:22 PM

Lolz ok dont mind the rust over my license plate. but here it IS! It sounds a lot different inside the car (of course). But still very deep

hmm. later ill post another vid. The mic on the camera is pretty much directly lined up with the exhaust and its kinda distorting the sound. Still pretty ok tho IMO.

Last edited by -ReLLiK-; 08-04-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Lolz ok dont mind the rust over my license plate. but here it IS! It sounds a lot different inside the car (of course). But still very deep

hmm. later ill post another vid. The mic on the camera is pretty much directly lined up with the exhaust and its kinda distorting the sound. Still pretty ok tho IMO.
yea that's more the kind of video i meant. if swaoaraoaty (sp.) can do the same then we'll have a good comparison
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yea that's more the kind of video i meant. if swaoaraoaty (sp.) can do the same then we'll have a good comparison
Yea lolz i couldnt hear his muffler
Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 PM

Granted its only a vid and you have to account for sound distortion, but that sounds a little too raspy.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by All*Pro
Granted its only a vid and you have to account for sound distortion, but that sounds a little too raspy.
Yea its actually not as raspy as the vid makes it sound. ill try again tomorrow and put the camera diagonal to the muffler and do the same thing.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM

good video -ReLLiK- ....thats the video i wanted to see and it doesn't sound that bad (minus the distortion of the mic, i can imagine lol)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM

mine doesnt sound like that, you must have a different one. mine makes a constant deep noise at idle and driving its a smooth deep tone, not raspy like that
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 AM

IME, and I have actually done a lot of experimentation on this, this type of "absorption" performance muffler needs a longer exhaust pipe after the muffler (AKA: exhaust tip) to muffle effectively.

Longer exhaust tip effective in quieting WSP+magnaflow exhaust

Alternately to a long tip, you can install a restrictor, but I know with a performance exhaust that's a bit sacreligious.

If you can relocate your muffler farther forward you can fit a longer tip behind it. Alternately, I've had a thought about making a 90 degree bend and having the exhaust terminate with a side-out to make it a bit longer too.

My setup is really improved with the longer tip I used, but I still want it even quieter.

The magnaflow muffler I have is larger chamber, but even it didn't muffle barely at all with too short a tip on there. Really, it wasn't all that much quieter than with the muffler removed completely. So, the length of tip after the muffler is really key to making it muffle properly. I hope this helps!

Last edited by jakeru; 08-05-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 AM

I was just reading up on something that might explain the exhaust tip's importance on "absorbtion" type mufflers. (Which are basically a big air chamber inside.)

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jone...helmholtz.html

The muffler + tip might be functioning like a Helmholtz resonator. Both lengthening the tip (increasing the "neck length"), or decreasing its diameter (reducing the "opening area") has the same effect: lowering the resonant frequency. Perhaps when the resonant frequency is too high (so that it is in the normal engine's operating RPM range), then the helmholtz resonator action causes the awful drone at those certain RPMs, while revving the engine up higher results in nice muffling of the noise.

The helmholtz resonator equation might just explain my observations with exhaust tips and their influence on the effectiveness of an "absorption" (aka "glasspack", straight-through, etc) type performance muffler!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 AM

Is the broken studd on the front or back? and how much studd is left to work with?

In any case, the head shouldnt need to come out, regardless. If you're going to replace it, replace them all while you're at it.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
mine doesnt sound like that, you must have a different one. mine makes a constant deep noise at idle and driving its a smooth deep tone, not raspy like that
Yea. Mine sounds exactly the way you described it. The raspiness (is that a word? lol) is from the distortion. Im tryin again today.

Originally Posted by Niccos89
Is the broken studd on the front or back? and how much studd is left to work with?

In any case, the head shouldnt need to come out, regardless. If you're going to replace it, replace them all while you're at it.
The stud is kinda to the left of the flex pipe. Like, when you look to the left and then a little upwards, its just sitting there. But its not long enough to pull out... Ill just wait cuz its not really a major deal at this point
Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Yea. Mine sounds exactly the way you described it. The raspiness (is that a word? lol) is from the distortion. Im tryin again today.
hmm, gotta hear a clearer vid then. back in high school is when i got my magnaflow on and everyone thought it was the shiz because it sounded good without being riced.

ive got a different exhaust tip though, i didnt want one but when they installed it they said they would throw one in for free, its not as small as yours, mines a tad smaller than the muffler itself
Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 PM

ill do it over when i get a chance. sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 AM

The stud is kinda to the left of the flex pipe. Like, when you look to the left and then a little upwards, its just sitting there. But its not long enough to pull out... Ill just wait cuz its not really a major deal at this point
I only had 5mm or soo of stud to pull out of mine, "not enough to pull out"? Dunno how it can be broken and not really be a problem, unless you enjoy the sound or something? exhaust leaks drive me nuts. When it does become worse, find someone who knows what they're doing because the head wont need to be removed.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Niccos89
I only had 5mm or soo of stud to pull out of mine, "not enough to pull out"? Dunno how it can be broken and not really be a problem, unless you enjoy the sound or something? exhaust leaks drive me nuts. When it does become worse, find someone who knows what they're doing because the head wont need to be removed.
Yea I mean, I dnt know how much of it is still there, but after having the new y-pipe installed and with the magnaflow, you wouldnt even know I had a stud broken on my manifold. But yea Im going to school for automotive so ill get it soon.