3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New Strange Problem(s) going on now?....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM

New Strange Problem(s) going on now?....

Well guys it's been a few months since I dropped the new engine(used) engine in and then had to swap out some injectors...

It had been running pretty well for the most part except for the fact that one of the original injectors had developed a leak/crack in it and was physically leaking fuel out of the top of the injector.. I had also had some intermittent problems with some of the injector elec. connectors as well,.. but I think I've got that all cleaned up now...

Anyway on to the "new" problem...

This past weekend I finally got around to changing out that "leaking" injector (#1 cylinder)... I put all of that back together,. .fired it up,.. runs like a top!.... let it warm up a bit, take it out on a couple mile test run getting it "up to speed" around 55 or so... and on the way back to the house it starts sputtering/loosing power/missing .... sort of like it's starving for fuel. If I smash on the gas it'll rev up and go,... but still missing a bit..

I got it home and pretty much thought it was another bad connection on one of the injectors,. .or that new re-man injector was bad... With the engine running I pulled #1 plug wire and it was "snapping",.. but with it completely removed there was no change in the idle speed... then I moved over to the left bank (Radiator side) and pulled #2 plug wire,... the idle dropped down... then I started pulling them all one at a time just to see what was up... Turns out that 1, 3, & 5 were DEAD!.... and the thing was still running rather smoothly...not bucking like a bronco or anything... I even removed those three cylinders injector connectors as well .. still running... I plug all three back up and no change what so ever in idle... by this time I'm totally dismayed to say the least.. I checked the resistance of all the injectors and plug wires,.. changed those three plugs,.. checked the pulse of the injector connectors with a noid light...all seemed good..

I finally was a bit bent so I decided just to run the crap out of it a bit so I hopped in and tore off down the road,... then all of a sudden the thing perks up and is running on all 6!..

I changed the fuel filter right after that as well and got a fresh tank of gas.

Moving right along in this novel (Sorry!) ..

So then I come out to start it and it wont start,.. cranks like crazy buy it's not even trying to pop off ... after a while messing with it, it finally fires up and is running fine (???) .. Then I drove it to Wal-mart which is about 10 min down the road,.. right before we got there it started sputtering and dieing out again (Missing on one or more cylinders...) ... I milk it to a parking spot,.. go in shopping for about a 1/2 hour.. come out... crank crank crank...but no fire!,.. (Plugs were snapping too!).. So after about a 1/2 hour of trying off and on it finally fires up and is running fine..

NOTE: When it's running ruff,. and with the injectors unplugged and plug wires off of the "dead" cylinders,.. It still seems like I"m getting some fuel pumped out the exhaust ... getting some white smoke then (??) .. but when they're all hitting everything is burning clean

Best short expination of the problem,.. When engine is cold it fires up fine typically, but after about 15 min of running it starts to devlope problems (Missing, cutting out,..loss of power..) I can smell the cat working over time when this occurs..

Well sorry for the painfully long post, but I wanted you all to have the most accurate info that I could offer...

Any suggestions and or insite to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by WERNER1
.or that new re-man injector was bad...
Rick
found your problem.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 AM

I know you guys are pretty down on the re-man injectors,.. but I've got three in that motor now,.. #1, #3, #6 .. .. and they all seem to be working pretty well thus far.. and just one injector bad is not going to keep the engine from starting

Rick
Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by WERNER1
I know you guys are pretty down on the re-man injectors,.. but I've got three in that motor now,.. #1, #3, #6 .. .. and they all seem to be working pretty well thus far.. and just one injector bad is not going to keep the engine from starting

Rick
Turns out that 1, 3, & 5 were DEAD!
well, one out of three, not a bad investment.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Yeah

That statement of 1,3, and 5 being dead was in reference to the whole right bank of the motor not working at all,.. all though I was getting pulse there on each inj. connector and spark,..

Just some weird stuff going on that's for sure..
Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 AM

Drove it around most of the day yesterday off and on and didn't have any problems ... it started cutting out at one point, but cleared up after I mashed on the gas a bit..

All thought I didn't take it out on the highway and get it up to speed really,.. that's where the problem really starts to show it's self I think,.. .when it's being ran hard and fast down the highway or open stretches of road ... hmmm...

very weird...

Rick
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM

This was a constant problem on my 92 SE. It was always missing and I could never find the cause of it. I changed all the plugs, tested the coils, replace 6 injectors twice. I even did a compression test on all the cylinders to make sure everything was ok, and it was. I sold the car and haven't heard anything on it since.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

Was it missing constantly,..or intermittently? .. ..

I'm wondering if the ECM is going south or something... guess I need to snag one at the junk yard and see what's up ??