3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

DOHC swap on VG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM

DOHC swap on VG?

is it possible??
from what ive read, the 84-89 300zx has the same block but a different top end. i could be wrong. im sure you would have to swap the whole top end would this even be plausible?
what customization/fabrication might be needed?
$$?

im really just opposed to swapping for a ve since i have had absolutely no luck finding a standard SE to swap in place of my auto
Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

z31 has the exact same engine as the maxima. sorry.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by austin from texas
is it possible??
from what ive read, the 84-89 300zx has the same block but a different top end. i could be wrong. im sure you would have to swap the whole top end would this even be plausible?
$$?

im really just opposed to swapping for a ve since i have had absolutely no luck finding a standard SE to swap in place of my auto
the 84-89 engine is the SAME as the maxima engine. matter of fact i'm putting a maxima engine in my Z31 later this month or early next month. the DOHC came on 90-96 models, whose block AND heads are different. Well technically the 84-89 300ZR (very very rare) came with the DOHC engine.. but not the same-years ZX.

If you want DOHC in your Maxima, then the VE is really the way to go. You can do a 5spd swap like I did, and just keep the actual car body you have right now.

what size wheels do you have on the car right now? it is actually semi-related. i can explain more later.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM

aaaah no way! f$%#$ing wikipedia. im still looking for a 5spd, still havent decided if i want to put the VE in. im going through engine rebuild class the last 5 weeks of this semester and have a spare VG that i got for $200 to put in. my engine as it stands has a dead piston, most likely due to a worn piston ring. also the new auto tran i put in is already having problems after 4 months, but i do drive it like a damn rally car.

so im really not sure if i want to rebuild an engine, then most likely soon swap it for another one which may have problems, but instead just put in a manual and have a new engine and take it to 500,000 and beyond. its currently at 240,000 or so

right now i have the stock 15s
dont like the z31s but i plan on buying a z32 when i get out of college in a year
Old 08-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

aaaah no way! f$%#$ing wikipedia. im still looking for a 5spd, still havent decided if i want to put the VE in. im going through engine rebuild class the last 5 weeks of this semester and have a spare VG that i got for $200 to put in. my engine as it stands has a dead piston, most likely due to a worn piston ring. also the new auto tran i put in is already having problems after 4 months, but i do drive it like a damn rally car.

so im really not sure if i want to rebuild an engine, then most likely soon swap it for another one which may have problems, but instead just put in a manual and have a new engine and take it to 500,000 and beyond. its currently at 240,000 or so

right now i have the stock 15s
dont like the z31s but i plan on buying a z32 when i get out of college in a year
k. cuz my VLSD setup will be for sale in a few months, but since i bored out the brake mount holes to attach the 5.5th gen brake calipers to it, you have to have at least 16" wheels to use those hubs... OR you could open up the CV boots on your stock VG axles and swap the VE outer joints onto the VE innerjoint/shafts that I have, and use the VG hubs that are already on your car.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM

hmmm, ya i doubt ill rebuild the cv joints. dont think ill have saved the money to get bigger rims. which brake mount holes do you mean?

and also while were talking about brakes, do the z31 calipers bolt on to the max hub?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:37 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

A VE swap can't be as bad as people think. Assuming you'd be pulling an engine anyway and doing all that work, you could just do a little extra work and swap in the VE harness and ECU and whatnot. There's probably some extra smallish stuff you'd have to change like ps hoses and stuff too, not sure

Now, the only debate would be if you want to do "all" that work for ~30 hp*. Although, if you think about it, you'd be doing about 85% of the same work for no hp increase.

Just my $.02

*plus, even though it's "only" 30 hp, the difference certainly "feels" like about 50 or so
Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Buy a VE...if u cant find 5sp VE then Auto would do too cuz auto transmissions on VEs are way stronger than VGs...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hmmm, ya i doubt ill rebuild the cv joints. dont think ill have saved the money to get bigger rims. which brake mount holes do you mean?

and also while were talking about brakes, do the z31 calipers bolt on to the max hub?
not sure if the z31 brakes will bolt up, but there's benefit from it. not the single-piston ones anyhow. perhaps the later turbo dual piston (i think..) calipers, which are similar to J30 and Q45 calipers would fit similarly.

easiest stockish-size front brake upgrade is the Infiniti j30 calipers, pads and rotors with 3mm shaved off the diameter of the rotors.

in the rear you can use the (11.3") 86 z31 rear rotors, with the 89-90 maxima hub adapter bracket (it's bolted onto the strut housing around the spindle) and the 91-94 maxima semi-loaded calipers (ie caliper and torque member [the thing that holds the pads]), 91-94 pads and 91-94 ebrake cables.

honestly that's the best bang for your buck in terms of brakes that will fit under stock wheels. as for pads, go with Hawk HPS or something like that.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:17 AM

I found mine here in San Antonio back in January on craigslist. There were quite a few 3rd gens for sale here and in Atx. Every month it would move from SA to Austin to Hou then Dallas. If you try hard enough you'll find a ve 5spd. Trick is to ask ppl u see in the streets with one. That way you know it runs. A lot of them aren't really advertised a lot. Its one of those you see it for sale as your driving buy or word of mouth. Its worth it!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Hey this do you any good? Its already been started for you. A bit high, but I'm sure u see it in person and you can find several things besides the paint to drop the price. http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1284321631.html

hell I found that in less than an hour.

Last edited by maximo018; 08-16-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 AM

^^^ price is definitely too high

I'd immediately try to knock at least $1400 off that if I were to buy it, but a nice find indeed
Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
not sure if the z31 brakes will bolt up, but there's benefit from it. not the single-piston ones anyhow. perhaps the later turbo dual piston (i think..) calipers, which are similar to J30 and Q45 calipers would fit similarly.

easiest stockish-size front brake upgrade is the Infiniti j30 calipers, pads and rotors with 3mm shaved off the diameter of the rotors.

in the rear you can use the (11.3") 86 z31 rear rotors, with the 89-90 maxima hub adapter bracket (it's bolted onto the strut housing around the spindle) and the 91-94 maxima semi-loaded calipers (ie caliper and torque member [the thing that holds the pads]), 91-94 pads and 91-94 ebrake cables.

honestly that's the best bang for your buck in terms of brakes that will fit under stock wheels. as for pads, go with Hawk HPS or something like that.
reason i ask, i have some brembo rotors on the front and they didnt have any for the back, but sent me some ebc's instead. problem is, they sent me the rotors for the 4th gen and my calipers arent wide enough to fit over them. i figured if i got swapped the calipers for something bigger they would fit over it. i could just be dumb and not have realized why theyre not fitting over it. any reccommendations?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

reason i ask, i have some brembo rotors on the front and they didnt have any for the back, but sent me some ebc's instead. problem is, they sent me the rotors for the 4th gen and my calipers arent wide enough to fit over them. i figured if i got swapped the calipers for something bigger they would fit over it. i could just be dumb and not have realized why theyre not fitting over it. any reccommendations?
89-01 max all use the same calipers and stuff. i THINK the rotors are identical as well.

you sure you fully retracted the piston on the caliper? if all else fails, pics always help
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
89-01 max all use the same calipers and stuff. i THINK the rotors are identical as well.

you sure you fully retracted the piston on the caliper? if all else fails, pics always help
thats what i was thinking happened, but i couldnt figure out how to compress it anymore than it was and i needed to get it off the rack since the instructors wanted me out of the shop. i just havent messed with it since.

ill try to think of something that might help if i cant get it figured out when i get my rear struts in
Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

thats what i was thinking happened, but i couldnt figure out how to compress it anymore than it was and i needed to get it off the rack since the instructors wanted me out of the shop. i just havent messed with it since.

ill try to think of something that might help if i cant get it figured out when i get my rear struts in
if you break open the bleeder bolt then a 4-5" c-clamp and a small socket to distribute load inside the piston SHOULD be plenty enough to fully retract the piston. make sure your slidepins are clean and lubed, so that your caliper will center properly over the rotor also.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

IIRC the front brakes are identical 89-99 for sure but possibly up to 01. I dont think the rear are the same though
Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 AM
mod or sell?

fronts are the same, rears change 89-91 92-94 95-99.
I do have a set of brembo rear rotors for 92-94 that I am selling for only a bit more than the cost of cheap china rotors if anyone is interested
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by internetautomar
fronts are the same, rears change 89-91 92-94 95-99.
I do have a set of brembo rear rotors for 92-94 that I am selling for only a bit more than the cost of cheap china rotors if anyone is interested
only if you give me that price for some brembo fronts!

to the OP:

This topic has been posted in the past and there are a lot of different ways to look at what you are looking to do.

One thing I have said before is that on the street (away from this board) a GXE and SE Maxima have about the same value, all things being equal (mileage, condition,etc). Finding a 5-speed is tougher, but not impossible. I see maybe 2-3 a week on my local CL. I don't know why, but I always check.

If you really want a 5-speed, either VE or VG, I recommend you sell your car, take the money and buy a 5-speed. The nicer you want it to start out, the more you will have to add, but they are available from <$1k to $4k. Maybe be willing to drive a few hundred miles to find one.

Just start new with something that came more how you want it. If you car is worth $1500, you could find a $1500 5-speed in probably a similar condition. Many people on this board can help you with deciding to buy, what to look for and how to fix problems.

Engine swaps are a lot of work and a fairly big headache. 5-speed swaps are a lot of work, but I think less of a headache. Doing a VE swap into a VG car is doable, but man, that is a lot of extra work.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Location: Long Beach, CA is where i live. Queens NYC is always home.
i agree... for the amount of work to do a swap, ya might s well find a VE equipped car. Personally, I like the VG cars cuz of their upgrade ability w/ z31 parts. That w/ a VE 5 speed. I have a VE and it can be a pain w/ the sicknesses they have like VTC failures. and it cost ALOT to fix those as oppose to doing a routine timing belt on a VG.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Well almost 10 years ago we found out that the 88-89 Z31 block is the same as the 90+ Z32 block. Which means you can put the DOHC heads onto it. However in the maxima I believe the block is slightly different due to the crank snout IIRC. All you have to do is get head gaskets for both engines and compare them, if all lines up your good to go. The main problem is the DOHC heads are huge!! I did a tape measure of my uncle's Z32 head to head clearance vs radiator to fire wall in a 3rd gen. I believe head to head is like 27" and engine bay is 30" or so, you'd only have an inch on either side before you hit the fans or wall!!!!

is it possible??
$$?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
Well almost 10 years ago we found out that the 88-89 Z31 block is the same as the 90+ Z32 block. Which means you can put the DOHC heads onto it. However in the maxima I believe the block is slightly different due to the crank snout IIRC. All you have to do is get head gaskets for both engines and compare them, if all lines up your good to go. The main problem is the DOHC heads are huge!! I did a tape measure of my uncle's Z32 head to head clearance vs radiator to fire wall in a 3rd gen. I believe head to head is like 27" and engine bay is 30" or so, you'd only have an inch on either side before you hit the fans or wall!!!!
Nope, they are completely different on the top end, nothing bolts up anywhere.

unless you show me where this decade old knowledge came from this pic says otherwise

the Vg30e heads are swappable with vg33e heads, with a few mods.

Last edited by 300zmax; 08-28-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hold up.... SAME same? same oil filter mount? same motormount location? same accessory bracket mounting holes? same water pump bolt pattern? same oil pump? same water jacket and oil galleys on the deck?

that goes against everything i've ever heard..
Old 08-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
Nope, they are completely different on the top end, nothing bolts up anywhere.

unless you show me where this decade old knowledge came from this pic says otherwise

the Vg30e heads are swappable with vg33e heads, with a few mods.
http://forums.maxima.org/3292-post23.html

On the link above has the info. It was the z31 vg block that was the same as the z32 one, not maxima.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/3292-post23.html

On the link above has the info. It was the z31 vg block that was the same as the z32 one, not maxima.
that is odd that he say the 2 part numbers are the same but i dont see anything that shows where this info comes from.

i still call BS.

this post needs more info. it hashuge holes
Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 AM

Well, Kaleb very famously worked for Courtesy Nissan for a number of years, so I would assume if anybody were to have correct part numbers it would have been him..
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
that is odd that he say the 2 part numbers are the same but i dont see anything that shows where this info comes from.

i still call BS.

this post needs more info. it hashuge holes
Kaleb worked for courtesy nissan at the time, so had the chance to check all the part numbers. Nissan has made 2 different part numbers for the same item. What it means is that the max vg block is same as 87-89 z31 na block, but the z31t block is the same as z32tt block.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Kaleb worked for courtesy nissan at the time, so had the chance to check all the part numbers. Nissan has made 2 different part numbers for the same item. What it means is that the max vg block is same as 87-89 z31 na block, but the z31t block is the same as z32tt block.
Originally Posted by kaleb
Maxima VG30E Block:
11000-85E00 which is the same as 11000-85E80

300ZX VG30(T) Block 07/1983 to 09/1985:
11010-V5280 which is the same as 11010-V5282
This block is used in both the Turbo and Non-turbo

300ZX VG30(T) Block 09/1985 to 03/1987:
11010-V5281 Turbo and Non-turbo

300ZX VG30(T) Block 03/1987 to 08/1988:
11010-21V80 which is the same as 11000-21V00
This block is used in both the Turbo and Non-turbo

300ZX VG30-T Block 08/1988 to 09/1990:
11010-21V80 which is the same as 11000-21V00
The Non-turbo was not produced in this time period

300ZX VG30 Block 08/1988 to 09/1990:
11010-85E80 same as Maxima VG30E
This is the Non-turbo only engine

300ZX VG30-T Block 09/1990 and up:
11000-21V00 which is the same as 11010-21V80
Turbo only engine, wierd because 09/1990 and up was not
a Z31, it was a Z32.

In conclusion, the Turbo block is not the same as our block (3rd Gen at least, I haven't checked 2nd). I know this from experience, because I remember a guy who brought in his VG30E engine on his pickup truck bed because it was mated with a VG30T block from a 300ZX and the Oil Filter mount was different and he was having problems or something like that. These are the things I'm worried about.

The head gaskets are the same.
The intake and exhaust valves are the same.
The cylinder heads are not the same.
Intake manifold is not the same.

Then there's the problem of routing the exhaust system and actually FITTING the turbo up there with the fans.

When he says "same as" does he mean visually? also if this where the case why doesn't the manufactures of aftermarket gaskets know of this IE Fel-Pro?

second the difference he mentions in the oil filter locations are changes between the front and rear wheel drive applications.

the VG30DETT has an 8 bolt head and the VG30ET from 89 has a 13 bolt head, so why would nissan make a DOHC block with a SOHC head for the last year of the 300zx Z31 model?

why also can i not find info of anyone doing head swaps or asking about the improvements of head swaps on to this oddball block?

i hold that this post is not proof of the differences/similarities between the late z31 block and z32 blocks. i will consult the z31 forums tonight after work as to what this is about. part numbers are easily confused even with Nissan Fact? can anyone with a working fact software back me up on this?

this looks like info that shows the differences between the old vg30 block and the newer w-block.

this post makes no claims that the z32 heads will bolt on to a lte z31 block, or the existence of a Z31/2 block with sohc heads