3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

doin a VE to VG swap! this is backwards now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 07:17 AM

doin a VE to VG swap! this is backwards now!

i know i know it's been talked over doing the VG to VE swap, but i'm so fed up with trying to do custom turbo stuff to the VE, i'm to the point where i may buy a VG from the junkyard and start building it to go into my VE. OK, I believe it was maxima mike that said that the VE and VG's had the same tranny housing (sorry maximamike if it wasn't you) i have heard they will, and they won't bolt up. either way, i can get a good mileage engine from a junkyard, but it's got an auto tranny attached to it. the manual tranny there for a VG is pretty high in mileage and i woudlnt' really trust it. anyway, ideas on the tranny would be appreciated. I am going to boost my 3rd gen, there's no doubt, but right now i'm planning you know, and i think it may actually be more cost effective, and better from a performance standpoint. has anyone ever done this or am i a crazy crack smoking fool? any help would be appreciated, and i know you're all sick of this topic, but this is reverse so maybe it's a little different. my buddy did the turbo upgrade on his Z so i could aquire his turbos. . . . like i said, right now i'm in the planning stage. also, would anyone be interested in my VE. VTC's have been replaced. . .thanks, lata
Old 11-29-2001, 12:01 PM

Re: doin a VE to VG swap! this is backwards now!

Originally posted by flyry110
i know i know it's been talked over doing the VG to VE swap, but i'm so fed up with trying to do custom turbo stuff to the VE, i'm to the point where i may buy a VG from the junkyard and start building it to go into my VE. OK, I believe it was maxima mike that said that the VE and VG's had the same tranny housing (sorry maximamike if it wasn't you) i have heard they will, and they won't bolt up. either way, i can get a good mileage engine from a junkyard, but it's got an auto tranny attached to it. the manual tranny there for a VG is pretty high in mileage and i woudlnt' really trust it. anyway, ideas on the tranny would be appreciated. I am going to boost my 3rd gen, there's no doubt, but right now i'm planning you know, and i think it may actually be more cost effective, and better from a performance standpoint. has anyone ever done this or am i a crazy crack smoking fool? any help would be appreciated, and i know you're all sick of this topic, but this is reverse so maybe it's a little different. my buddy did the turbo upgrade on his Z so i could aquire his turbos. . . . like i said, right now i'm in the planning stage. also, would anyone be interested in my VE. VTC's have been replaced. . .thanks, lata
Finally somone here who realized VG is the better engine, no wonder they still usem in all z's.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

VG-T stock output is about what? 200hp or less? Stock VE is 190hp. Simple turbo VE output is estimated at another 40-50hp at only 5.5psi w/ no add-ons. Tune it and who knows? SC 4-gens get close to 270hp at the flywheel w/ only FPR.

If you really want a VG maxima, you could probably just sell and buy. You would also probably come out ahead in the deal.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
VG-T stock output is about what? 200hp or less? Stock VE is 190hp. Simple turbo VE output is estimated at another 40-50hp at only 5.5psi w/ no add-ons. Tune it and who knows? SC 4-gens get close to 270hp at the flywheel w/ only FPR.

If you really want a VG maxima, you could probably just sell and buy. You would also probably come out ahead in the deal.
Yes you right almost same hp, but things you can do to a VGT....
Old 11-29-2001, 12:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally posted by Maximum5spd

Yes you right almost same hp, but things you can do to a VGT....
You can do w/ a VET. hehe. Same basic bottom end(iron block) JWT offers an ecu for the VE so I would "assume" they could program the ecu for boost like they can for the VG ecu. I do believe bigger injectors are available for the VE also(although I don't know which)

So same bottom end but dohc heads, Varible cam timing, and coil on plug ignition.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:57 PM

You can do w/ a VET. hehe. Same basic bottom end(iron block) JWT offers an ecu for the VE so I would "assume" they could program the ecu for boost like they can for the VG ecu. I do believe bigger injectors are available for the VE also(although I don't know which)

So same bottom end but dohc heads, Varible cam timing, and coil on plug ignition.
How about Q45 injectors in a VG.....
Old 11-29-2001, 01:03 PM

Preach on brother!

*VE 5-speed power!*
Old 11-29-2001, 02:45 PM

i really need to talk to CZAR does anyone have his screen name? he doesn't answer my emails. . ..
Old 11-29-2001, 05:50 PM

Jeff's right.. You can get more power out of a VE-T when tuned right. But the VE-T hasn't been successfully done (besides CZAR and maybe some unknown people). The VG-T has been done by quite a few people. Plus with the VG-T (assuming your swapping VG30ET), your compression is lower so you wouldn't have as much problems with detonation (assuming your running 6psi or so) as you would with a higher compression engine such as the VE.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:34 PM

Re: doin a VE to VG swap! this is backwards now!

Originally posted by flyry110
would anyone be interested in my VE. VTC's have been replaced. . .thanks, lata
mileage and how much and location? thanks