3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How long do VE timing chains last??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 PM

How long do VE timing chains last??

A question for those who know:

How long do VE chains last? I know that's hard to quantify, but give me a clue.

My 93 has ~244K on it. I'm going to replace the VTCs, but wondering if I really need the expense and hassle of doing the chains as well. My friend- a *very* good auto tech (but not familiar with the VE)- is questioning my intent to do a full timing set- chains, sprockets, and tensioners (what did I forget?). I want to do it to never have to worry about it again, but not if it's unnecessary.

The reason for the work: Well... 1:Clattering VTCs, of course. 2: from the CAI I could hear the intake noise under heavy throttle change- and change again- over the course of a few weeks and feel power drop some. 3: an interesting crack in the valve cover near/over the exhaust sprocket of the rear bank that started to leak oil. Parked the car at that point.

BTW: before anyone says it's not worth it on an engine with that many miles, I *know* *this* engine- and the rest of the car: besides the problems mentioned, it is in primo shape, and worth it to me (and it's a 5spd with moonroof, working ABS and LSD). Otherwise I'd save the money and (gasp) put it and my efforts into a 4th gen.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

for the most part i think that the timing chain doesn't ever really need to be replaced. greeny has 341k on his.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm really critical on buying timing chains that aren't from the dealer, since whoever supplies the chains for Nissan should been given a Lifetime Achievement Award, for thier durability and flawless operation. I had a real bad experince purchasing a timing chain from Cloyes which stretched and was removed from service in about 50K...It said made in Japan on the chain and gears. I honstly think like everything else... CHINA was involved in the mfg process!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
for the most part i think that the timing chain doesn't ever really need to be replaced. greeny has 341k on his.
had car is gone remember
Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JC93SE
A question for those who know:

How long do VE chains last? I know that's hard to quantify, but give me a clue.

My 93 has ~244K on it. I'm going to replace the VTCs, but wondering if I really need the expense and hassle of doing the chains as well. My friend- a *very* good auto tech (but not familiar with the VE)- is questioning my intent to do a full timing set- chains, sprockets, and tensioners (what did I forget?). I want to do it to never have to worry about it again, but not if it's unnecessary.

The reason for the work: Well... 1:Clattering VTCs, of course. 2: from the CAI I could hear the intake noise under heavy throttle change- and change again- over the course of a few weeks and feel power drop some. 3: an interesting crack in the valve cover near/over the exhaust sprocket of the rear bank that started to leak oil. Parked the car at that point.

BTW: before anyone says it's not worth it on an engine with that many miles, I *know* *this* engine- and the rest of the car: besides the problems mentioned, it is in primo shape, and worth it to me (and it's a 5spd with moonroof, working ABS and LSD). Otherwise I'd save the money and (gasp) put it and my efforts into a 4th gen.

Thanks
Chains r usually for life they do not need a change unless they breAks. If u wanna change u can if that gives u peace of ur mind but I wouldn't
Old 09-07-2009, 12:40 PM

You would think at some point the chain would need to be replaced? Every other car that I've owned that had a chain (ie small block Chevy 350) needed the timing chain replaced.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
had car is gone remember
technicalities

actually the bellhousing-side of Greeny's transmission is in the Camry's trunk right now... gotta get some packing materials so i can send it to james92se
Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by nitrous360
You would think at some point the chain would need to be replaced? Every other car that I've owned that had a chain (ie small block Chevy 350) needed the timing chain replaced.
SBC has no tensioner to compensate for the slack of a stretching chain like the VE does
Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

4-evah!

no, seriously, i think they will go a very long time, and your biggest issue would be the tensioners going out....which i know is an issue with a lot of VE's. Sometimes timing chain tensioner failure can be mistaken for chattering VTC's (i.e. timing chain hitting the valve cover, and other various areas). But while your at it, if you have the money to spend, what's the hurt in re-vitalizing that portion of the engine while you're in there?

just food for thought.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

I do think this, but I have no scientific evidence to prove, just as nobody does to say it doesn't. All moving parts wear out eventually.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm not an expert on the SBC, but know that some issues were the nylon teeth on the cam. Wear and "stretch" too.

My concern about the chains is that I've seen/"heard" more about the VQ chains being replaced: auto ads on CL stating that job being recently done, and some other place(s) that I can't remember. Different engine, yes. But still concerned.

Last edited by JC93SE; 09-08-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ustfdes
4-evah!

no, seriously, i think they will go a very long time, and your biggest issue would be the tensioners going out....which i know is an issue with a lot of VE's. Sometimes timing chain tensioner failure can be mistaken for chattering VTC's (i.e. timing chain hitting the valve cover, and other various areas). But while your at it, if you have the money to spend, what's the hurt in re-vitalizing that portion of the engine while you're in there?

just food for thought.
What is it that happens to the tensioners? Aren't they just perpetually spring-loaded against the chain?

However, that could be problem #2 after the VTCs themselves- I know the VTCs are FU, and possibly headed for catastophe: just had that happen on my other 93VE (grrrrnnnt!)

My friend basically said the same thing: I mentioned doing the tensioners and he said if I do, I might as well do it all.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM

I inspected my chain and it looks fine to me so I'm gonna re-use it. Bought a cloyes but you can tell the quality difference buy holding the two. I did by new tensioners though just to keep the slack out of the chain. Thats funny you have the same year and exact mileage as I do along with tranny. Difference is I'm overhauling the entire car.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Originally Posted by JC93SE
What is it that happens to the tensioners? Aren't they just perpetually spring-loaded against the chain?

However, that could be problem #2 after the VTCs themselves- I know the VTCs are FU, and possibly headed for catastophe: just had that happen on my other 93VE (grrrrnnnt!)

My friend basically said the same thing: I mentioned doing the tensioners and he said if I do, I might as well do it all.
i've actually never seen the tensioners from the VE as of yet, but the mazda KL engine had similar problems, a lot of clatter caused by the timing tensioner, as well as the 'cam friction gears' or whatever they were called. in short, the engine was basically a smaller, 'wannabe,' VE in my opinion, with the DOHC and mazda's take on the variable valve timing.

basically what i'm saying is that if the tensioners are anything like the mazda's, they could 'wear out,' causing a lack of tension on the chain.

and i'm in no way comparing my failing mazda to my lovely maxima, just saying they have similar components.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I miss my VE

I remember reading a guys post on here a long time ago, about his chain breaking and he said he heard the chain banging against something before it finally gave out.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:11 PM

I was lucky to hear timming chain tensioner noise starting just before doing the VTC job. I would reccomend doing the two upper tensioners, the nylon on them wears deep grooves. I think to replace the chains or the lower tensioner the engine might need to come out, either way its not easy to get at that stuff.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by eric93SE
I was lucky to hear timming chain tensioner noise starting just before doing the VTC job. I would reccomend doing the two upper tensioners, the nylon on them wears deep grooves. I think to replace the chains or the lower tensioner the engine might need to come out, either way its not easy to get at that stuff.
Was the noise distinct? I'm wondering how one would differentiate this between VTC noise and timing chain noise
Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 PM

It was a lower rpm noise, below what we hear with the vtc. Basically it was audiable at idle and just giving it a touch of gas it would go away. The nylon on the tensioners was pretty warn with deep channels dug in them.