3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Warpspeed Y pipe for VG

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
hahaha yea? well as long as nothings damaged were good dude, im not too picky. thanks for the effort. im pretty excited. i sent the money to you earlier this morning.
well it's made of steel, it would probably survive unscathed even if the truck got in a wreck.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:00 PM

haha alrite bro, were good.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I see 'Cons' have not been mentioned. Don't get me wrong, the Warpspeed Y-Pipe is a great performance enhancer and great product. I've got one, and I use a Warpspeed intake too.

But there IS a reason why Nisson put that restrictive curly kink in the OEM Y-pipe...... Noise and Resonance.

When I decided on get my Y pipe, my entire exhaust system was corroded out. So along with the Y-Pipe came all new exhaust: Catco Cat, O2 sensor, 2-1/4" oversized exhaust piping, new MagnaFlow Muffler. I drove over to Arkansas and Warpspeed did the installation at their shop.

The noise and resonant vibration was so bad I thought I wasn't going to make it back from Arkansas. I'm surprised it didn't vibrate the fillings out of my teeth. All dash parts buzzing like crazy on even the slightest uphill grade. A great deal of the noise was coming off the pavement as far forward as the driver; the entire exhaust system was resonating like a speaker diaphram. The Magnaflow was a straight through muffler, and was the biggest culprit. I don't recommend this type of muffler with a Y-Pipe unless you are deaf, or want to be.

Upon arriving home, I immediately went to a high performance shop that did exhausts, and they replaced the MagnaFlow with the biggest turbo muffler (S flow-3 pass) that would fit - one intended to quiet a 455 big block V8. Note: There were NO exhaust leaks. Since then, I've installed additional hangers to dampen some of the vibration.

It's now tolerable; and I do like the very deep tone and Power. Nobody mistakes it for a Ricer, but a few non-performance aware souls have commented that I had a hole in my muffler. I'll be adding sound insulation both inside the trunk and underneath the car later, and that should do the trick.

Expect the Warpspeed Y-Pipe to be at least as difficult to quiet down as full blown tubing headers on a V8. Prior to getting my Maxima (new in Jan 1990) , I'd put high performance exhausts & mufflers on every car I've ever owned - I'm not a old fuddy duddy Lincoln driver that expects silence.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by RMAX54
I see 'Cons' have not been mentioned. Don't get me wrong, the Warpspeed Y-Pipe is a great performance enhancer and great product. I've got one, and I use a Warpspeed intake too.

But there IS a reason why Nisson put that restrictive curly kink in the OEM Y-pipe...... Noise and Resonance.

When I decided on get my Y pipe, my entire exhaust system was corroded out. So along with the Y-Pipe came all new exhaust: Catco Cat, O2 sensor, 2-1/4" oversized exhaust piping, new MagnaFlow Muffler. I drove over to Arkansas and Warpspeed did the installation at their shop.

The noise and resonant vibration was so bad I thought I wasn't going to make it back from Arkansas. I'm surprised it didn't vibrate the fillings out of my teeth. All dash parts buzzing like crazy on even the slightest uphill grade. A great deal of the noise was coming off the pavement as far forward as the driver; the entire exhaust system was resonating like a speaker diaphram. The Magnaflow was a straight through muffler, and was the biggest culprit. I don't recommend this type of muffler with a Y-Pipe unless you are deaf, or want to be.

Upon arriving home, I immediately went to a high performance shop that did exhausts, and they replaced the MagnaFlow with the biggest turbo muffler (S flow-3 pass) that would fit - one intended to quiet a 455 big block V8. Note: There were NO exhaust leaks. Since then, I've installed additional hangers to dampen some of the vibration.

It's now tolerable; and I do like the very deep tone and Power. Nobody mistakes it for a Ricer, but a few non-performance aware souls have commented that I had a hole in my muffler. I'll be adding sound insulation both inside the trunk and underneath the car later, and that should do the trick.

Expect the Warpspeed Y-Pipe to be at least as difficult to quiet down as full blown tubing headers on a V8. Prior to getting my Maxima (new in Jan 1990) , I'd put high performance exhausts & mufflers on every car I've ever owned - I'm not a old fuddy duddy Lincoln driver that expects silence.

i will be running the wsp with a resonator, and a stock g35 sedan exhaust, you think ill be alrite, wont be too loud would it? im not looking for loud, im just looking for a nice sound, and better flow. i had a magnaflow, but i didnt like it.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM

can you post your soundclip or video clip, i wanna check out how urs sounds like haha
Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i will be running the wsp with a resonator, and a stock g35 sedan exhaust, you think ill be alrite, wont be too loud would it? im not looking for loud, im just looking for a nice sound, and better flow. i had a magnaflow, but i didnt like it.
I can only add few comments to what I've posted. I could have gone with a stock Nissan Maxima muffler, but that would have reduced, maybe even canceled out, the horsepower increase which is what I was looking for. High Performance custom exhausts are a black art, but one thing that always holds true is they are a tradeoff: more horsepower verses increased noise.

I'm not familiar with the G35 muffler you mentioned. Try it and see. If you don't see a lot of power increase, that's the reason. It's easy and relatively inexpensive to change mufflers if you want more power and can stand some more noise. Since it's a stock muffler, loud shouldn't be an big issue.

MAKE SURE all the stock OEM exhaust hangers are re-used, even if you have to replace them. They do a great job of reducing vibration in the pipes, avoiding the 'speaker ' effect I ran into.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM

alrite kool thanks alot for the input
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

as long as you keep the resonator it should be fine. curious how the g35 muffler will sound with it tho.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
as long as you keep the resonator it should be fine. curious how the g35 muffler will sound with it tho.
ill be sure to post a vid once i get it on, you ship it out already?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Pics please
Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM

pics of what exactly? lol
heres a vid of my exhaust before the warpspeed y pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiKV...eature=related

enjoy
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM

2 more days yes!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

pics of what exactly? lol
heres a vid of my exhaust before the warpspeed y pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiKV...eature=related

enjoy
is it really as quiet as it sounds? not bad tho. unpretentious and mellow. alot better than half the exhausts i've heard on 3rd gens.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:50 PM

is it really as quiet as it sounds? not bad tho. unpretentious and mellow. alot better than half the exhausts i've heard on 3rd gens.
it sounds very clean man, cleaner than the magnaflow i had. magnaflow was too loud for my taste, i also had to run a glass pack to quiet it down, but with the glasspack, it was bad for performance, wasnt smooth. i like the g35 sedan exhaust alot. im pretty excited to hear how its gonna sound like with the wsp. cuz originally i wanted something not to loud not too quiet. took me a year to find someone selling a g35 exhaust. paid 45 bucks for it.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

When you say "G35 sedan exhaust" you mean just the muffler mated to 3rd gen-specific exhaust piping, correct?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

I ran the cattman Y with a diff sized flex section, to a 4-gen high flow Catco cat, no resonator, out to a 5th gen oem muffler. Very, very quiet for this level of custom exhaust. But the sound was great.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
When you say "G35 sedan exhaust" you mean just the muffler mated to 3rd gen-specific exhaust piping, correct?
yea just the can, before i put on a glasspack and magnaflow, so after i bought the g35 sedan stock exhaust, i told them to change it to a decent size resonator + new piping. i thought i had upgraded to the next size haha but apparently i found out from you that stock is 2.25, dam. all good tho after i did that it felt great. im probably gonna put on the WSP on saturday, ill be sure to post a vid of how it sounds.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM

had to lose the glass pack, it was a POS
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM
94c Big Max

yes, legal.

yes, you can pass CA or another state emission test.

no, depending on which down pipe brand you get ....I can't recall my brand name but they're made in Arkansas and a lot of cats around here are using it. Damn I can't recall the name. Anyway, if you get the same pipe as mine, you will get better responses at higher RPM.

yes, you can get them below 200 for a non stainless steel. I paid around $165 5 years ago and so far so good.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by bvtran
yes, legal.

no, depending on which down pipe brand you get ....I can't recall my brand name but they're made in Arkansas and a lot of cats around here are using it. Damn I can't recall the name. Anyway, if you get the same pipe as mine, you will get better responses at higher RPM.

yes, you can get them below 200 for a non stainless steel. I paid around $165 5 years ago and so far so good.
lol sick behind over here =P bought it from caped cadaver already.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by bvtran
yes, legal.

brand new they are $199 now. I'm just mad they can do free shipping.. wish i coulda done that.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM

brand new they are $199 now. I'm just mad they can do free shipping.. wish i coulda done that.
wait so is there 2 kinds, made of different metal or just one.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM

wait so is there 2 kinds, made of different metal or just one.
They make a stainless steel one and an aluminized steel one..
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 AM

and you sold me a stainless steel one cadecadaver?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

and you sold me a stainless steel one cadecadaver?
no, regular steel.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM

did you put signature signing on it or just regular delivery confirmation? just curious.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM

lol..
Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

did you put signature signing on it or just regular delivery confirmation? just curious.
er... regular? shipping was expensive as it was, everything else was just asking for even more money.

lol..

whatchu laughin at willis?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 PM

er... regular? shipping was expensive as it was, everything else was just asking for even more money.
oh naw, was just curious is all, cuz then anything shipped by ups has tracking on it, and theres also signature confirmation. but if you didnt get that , thats kool too cuz then i might not be home friday to recieve it,so im thinkin of leavin a note to leave it on my doorstep or at the neighbors. if there was signature confirmation, they wouldnt leave it, they would come back the next day.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

oh naw, was just curious is all, cuz then anything shipped by ups has tracking on it, and theres also signature confirmation. but if you didnt get that , thats kool too cuz then i might not be home friday to recieve it,so im thinkin of leavin a note to leave it on my doorstep or at the neighbors. if there was signature confirmation, they wouldnt leave it, they would come back the next day.
oic. still on schedule right?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM

yea on schedule for tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 PM

whatchu laughin at willis?
Just at how frantic the poor guy seems about his intraw3b transaction
Old 10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

how's your package coming along? gonna be there tomorrow?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 PM

haha its not that, i was just wondering what kind of delivery confirmation was on the package because if its signature and im not home then they gotta come back the next day, if its regular then they can leave it at the doorstep.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM

how's your package coming along? gonna be there tomorrow?
Last I checked it was supposed to be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get that sucker going finally

haha its not that, i was just wondering what kind of delivery confirmation was on the package because if its signature and im not home then they gotta come back the next day, if its regular then they can leave it at the doorstep.
Nah, I know, just bustin your *****
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Last I checked it was supposed to be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get that sucker going finally

Nah, I know, just bustin your *****
are you gonna go ahead and have the guts of your cracked tranny put into the case i sent? or gonna keep running the other one in the meantime and just do the tranny case when you have spare time/$?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM

are you gonna go ahead and have the guts of your cracked tranny put into the case i sent? or gonna keep running the other one in the meantime and just do the tranny case when you have spare time/$?
I am gonna have the guts swapped, yeah. Although, in the meantime I just went ahead and had that third transmission I had the garage rebuilt since I wanted to get the darn thing going. So the rebuilt one is in there now. Of course, I didn't realize at the time I was going to get myself stuck by not swapping out that stupid carrier bracket and having not even sourced one.

Sooo, I'm going to swap the guts in the one I busted and then mate it to the spare VE engine I have in the garage and keep the whole unit as a perennial ready to go "backup"
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I am gonna have the guts swapped, yeah. Although, in the meantime I just went ahead and had that third transmission I had the garage rebuilt since I wanted to get the darn thing going. So the rebuilt one is in there now. Of course, I didn't realize at the time I was going to get myself stuck by not swapping out that stupid carrier bracket and having not even sourced one.

Sooo, I'm going to swap the guts in the one I busted and then mate it to the spare VE engine I have in the garage and keep the whole unit as a perennial ready to go "backup"
how rebuilt is 'rebuilt'? new synchros and new bearings?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM

new synchros and new bearings?
yessir! $425
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yessir! $425
i are teh jealous..... tho i wonder how mine would have felt with decent fluid in it, which i would have used if i'd ever fixed the leak. o well

Quick Reply: Warpspeed Y pipe for VG