3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I am saying goodbye to my Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:10 AM

I am saying goodbye to my Maxima

Hello Friends,

I have been looking for a replacement for my aging Maxima for sometime now. Having waited for the cash4clunkers and missing the deal by 1 mpg, I decide to get a replacement before the onset of winter. And I bought a 2010 Sentra SR. I will indeed miss you folks who has guided me a number of occasions... I appreciate all your help and I did learn something too. Without your posts it wouldn't have been possible (and I wouldn't have hung on to my Maxima this long). I still love to drive my Max, but I also didn't want my other love (my wife) to drive this car in the winter months (mainly safety issues).
Plus, if I don't do all the repairs old cars are difficult to own.
So, here I am with a heavy heart bidding farewell to you all....

-MM
Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 AM

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

any pics of the old max and the new replacement?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 AM

Good luck also! I will be looking for a replacement soon myself. But I will most likely keep my maxima because of reliability. I will most likely keep it in the family or as a show car, and get another maxima possibly a 2nd or 4th generation as I like those. With good mechanical skills and maintanence. My car has 224,000 miles and runs like it has 100,000 miles less. WIth new tires and new front end parts, this baby loves to be driven long distances. I used to have a 90 chevy Baretta GT 5-speed with 225,000 miles and It used to give me alot of problems. But my skills were not that good as they are now, thanks to the Org, I saved a ton of money, and learned alot about my car that an average mechanic does not know, and would try to just get money for doing something simple as unscrewing a bad sensor or something.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM

^^^u too huh. i had a 91 gtz.
i think i walked to school than drive the damn car cause it always had problems.
the maxima i drove to georgia twice in one week then tennessee also.
in fact i could get in my max and drive back there and not worry.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
^^^u too huh. i had a 91 gtz.
i think i walked to school than drive the damn car cause it always had problems.
the maxima i drove to georgia twice in one week then tennessee also.
in fact i could get in my max and drive back there and not worry.

Yes you are so right, Ive driven the maxima to Georgia, TN, and North Carolina. Trying to take it to Louisiana and Miami. Even though you may have small problems with the maxima, It has never left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. My 91 Baretta GT, blew a water gasket while I was driveing at night and was leaking coolant all over the place, and there were no part stores open. Then it would shut off at a stop, then my oil pump blew and left me stranded with a dead motor in the middle of nowhere. I wouldnt trade the Max in for the simple fact of Reliablity. They say that these are good cars, and its tru. Just look at how long it takes an Original part such as fuel injectors to go out. Even though one of mine acts like its dead sometime, I can still get on I-20 and run 85-95mph with ease!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM

oh wow...i think i can top that.
the beretta left me stranded and my mom stranded countless of times.

t-stat went out.
ecu went out.
1 injector....1 FUEL INJECTOR went bad causeing the car not to run.
fuel pump went out.
icm module went out.
crank sensor went out.
alternator went out (at least with the max i had a week before it went out completly).
radiator went out.

i even replaced the crankshaft bearings on the motor.

all those things i listed envolved leaving me stranded.
oh and what broke the straw on the camels back was when you drive the car for a while the car will shut off.
and the only way to get it running is by reliving fuel pressure and hold the throttle opened all the way.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
oh wow...i think i can top that.
the beretta left me stranded and my mom stranded countless of times.

t-stat went out.
ecu went out.
1 injector....1 FUEL INJECTOR went bad causeing the car not to run.
fuel pump went out.
icm module went out.
crank sensor went out.
alternator went out (at least with the max i had a week before it went out completly).
radiator went out.

i even replaced the crankshaft bearings on the motor.

all those things i listed envolved leaving me stranded.
oh and what broke the straw on the camels back was when you drive the car for a while the car will shut off.
and the only way to get it running is by reliving fuel pressure and hold the throttle opened all the way.
Wow!! Thats alot of stuff to happen! I dont think Ill be buying another Gm product. Its a scary feeling to be stranded in the middle of nowhere and miles from home with an unreliable car such as a baretta. I even test drove one a 93 and the guy wanted $3500 for it before I bought my current Maxima. The thing shut off on me twice in the middle of traffic at a busy intersection. I was so embarrassed and afraid that I would get rear ended, I immediately rushed it back to the car lot I got it from! The maxima had no problem even though it had more miles than the Baretta did it still didnt matter. And I still have it today.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Good luck also! I will be looking for a replacement soon myself. But I will most likely keep my maxima because of reliability. I will most likely keep it in the family or as a show car, and get another maxima possibly a 2nd or 4th generation as I like those. With good mechanical skills and maintanence. My car has 224,000 miles and runs like it has 100,000 miles less. WIth new tires and new front end parts, this baby loves to be driven long distances. I used to have a 90 chevy Baretta GT 5-speed with 225,000 miles and It used to give me alot of problems. But my skills were not that good as they are now, thanks to the Org, I saved a ton of money, and learned alot about my car that an average mechanic does not know, and would try to just get money for doing something simple as unscrewing a bad sensor or something.
That is double my car's age! Amazing!!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM

Bummer about the cash for clunkers deal. I was also off by 1 mpg and I didn't own the car for long enough to qualify. It is a great car though, I would have hated for it to be crushed.