3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Noisy power-steering after hose replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
LvR

Noisy power-steering after hose replacement?

Every time I see somebody complain about this I have mentioned this in many threads here:

The dumb-*** technicians making up the hoses, will often cause you endless headaches with a noisy power-steering system that no amount of bleeding etc seems to be able to cure.

The simple answer is to go beat the tech over the head with the replacement hose he made up because he has doesn't know what he is doing.

One of 2 things happened:

1. The twit never properly inspected the old hose and have either forgotten or on purpose omitted the flow restrictor (metal job clamped around the rubber hose) installed in the middle of the hose or

2. The technician is using the incorrect hose diameter and mounting techniques.

Either way will cause the pump to cavitate because of too high a flow rate and it will continue to scream its head off till the issue gets sorted.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by LvR
Every time I see somebody complain about this I have mentioned this in many threads here:

The dumb-*** technicians making up the hoses, will often cause you endless headaches with a noisy power-steering system that no amount of bleeding etc seems to be able to cure.

The simple answer is to go beat the tech over the head with the replacement hose he made up because he has doesn't know what he is doing.

1. The twit never properly inspected the old hose and have either forgotten or on purpose omitted the flow restrictor (metal job clamped around the rubber hose) installed in the middle of the hose or

Either way will cause the pump to cavitate because of too high a flow rate and it will continue to scream its head off till the issue gets sorted.
which PS hose(s) have the flow restrictor on it/them? reservoir to pump? pump to rack? rack to cooling loop? cooling loop to reservoir?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM

bleed it more....
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
which PS hose(s) have the flow restrictor on it/them? reservoir to pump? pump to rack? rack to cooling loop? cooling loop to reservoir?
The rubber hose between the pump outlet and the pressure switch assembly for the ECU (from here it feeds the rack via a metal pipe) - about 700mm long with foil UV/IR sleeve fitted as standard.

bleed it more....
I'd say read it some more
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
STFU n00b!

Never knew there was a flow restrictor in them. good call. Will be sure to look at the new hose next time I have any power steering issues.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
LvR

I never did either, but I often encounter the problem on other vehicles where I am used to seeing them.

My hose guy first removed the foil hose protector stuff to inspect the burst hose construction and pointed it out to me
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by LvR
The rubber hose between the pump outlet and the pressure switch assembly for the ECU (from here it feeds the rack via a metal pipe) - about 700mm long with foil UV/IR sleeve fitted as standard.

I'd say read it some more
durr i forgot it went up there then down. never seen it, but never looked either. i assume the same applies to all nissans? all cars?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
durr i forgot it went up there then down. never seen it, but never looked either. i assume the same applies to all nissans? all cars?
Have not yet seen "ALL" models of Nissans so cannot say, but its standard practice on many installations I have seen locally.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 PM

that happened to me too, turns out my hose was leaking power steering fluid, so i had to get another hose, but now when i turn, it makes hella noises. i went back and asked him is that a problem, he said no its just the pump cuz its old, and i asked is it a problem, he said no.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
that happened to me too, turns out my hose was leaking power steering fluid, so i had to get another hose, but now when i turn, it makes hella noises. i went back and asked him is that a problem, he said no its just the pump cuz its old, and i asked is it a problem, he said no.
Well that logic suck IMO - if the same old pump was quiet before why is it complaining with the new hose? ................

The answer is surely obvious - he needs a good clip around the ears with that hose he made up.

Sure the pump will probably survive for years while being noisy with the new hose, but why live with the racket when the real cause is known?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM

so i gotta bleed it out again? is there specific directions on how to do it?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
STFU n00b!

Bleeding isn't the answer. the problem is the new hose is missing the flow restrictor. I don't know if you can find an adapter fitting with a small restrictor in it, or if you have to buy an OEM hose. but you can bleed the system for decades and it's not goign to solve the issue if you have a poorly made hose that doesn't include the restrictor.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Bleeding isn't the answer. the problem is the new hose is missing the flow restrictor. I don't know if you can find an adapter fitting with a small restrictor in it, or if you have to buy an OEM hose. but you can bleed the system for decades and it's not goign to solve the issue if you have a poorly made hose that doesn't include the restrictor.
I never knew about the restrictor either, but it makes sense now. I've got an aftermarket hose on mine, and have bled and re-bled the darn thing about 5 times over the course of several months and the thing has never ceased to constantly whine this whole time.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
this is interesting, um, what does it look like? is it possible to buy and add on? im at work right now but ill take a pics of my new hose when i get home.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:06 PM
LvR

this is interesting, um, what does it look like? is it possible to buy and add on? im at work right now but ill take a pics of my new hose when i get home.
This is why I said you need to direct the newly made-up hose at the technician's ear ................ a few times - you cannot fit the restrictor afterwards - its a circular piece of metal that is slipped around the outside of the hose before the ends are made off, and then its crimped in place to ensure a spot on the rubber hose with a restricted inside diameter ....................

The only way to fit it after a hose has been completed is to once again cut one of the ends off...................

This is what it looks like

Last edited by LvR; 09-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM

hmm this is mine :

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
LvR

Nope - thats not it - what you posted there is only the normal crimped-on banjo coupling on the top end of the hose.

In that pic of yours you would have to remove the foil heat-shield near the pump end of the hose in order to see if you have a restrictor on there
Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 AM

what if i do have the resistor and theres still noise lol
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 AM
LvR

what if i do have the resistor and theres still noise lol
IF?...................

Well - if my auntie had ***** she would have been my uncle!

If you have the correct hose assembly and its still noisy somebody is lying here - no? ........................it wasn't noisy before you replaced the hose, and in my experience that steering system bleeds properly on its own in like 30 seconds flat if you turn the steering from side to side so only you will know what then.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Hmmm. Wondered WTF after I replaced the hose... Think I got it from NAPA (maybe). Makes just enough noise to annoy you and make you wonder what you did wrong when you replaced the hose (as if you could really F that up).

My other Maxima did the same thing years ago I think. Slowly went away if I remember. Now I know.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM

... and not to mention the ends aren't positioned on the hose right, so you have to twist the hose to get it lined up... serious PITA.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LvR

What is the right diameter for the hose (I seemed to remember the diameter for the metal part is bigger on the original hose)? My steering started to have the noise after replacing the leaky hose. And it is been so annoying for over 2 years now.
Thanks
RT
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by luckyrandy2003

What is the right diameter for the hose (I seemed to remember the diameter for the metal part is bigger on the original hose)? My steering started to have the noise after replacing the leaky hose. And it is been so annoying for over 2 years now.
Thanks
RT
Man u dug up a 3yr old thread. Thats one dead give away your new. Lol. Easiest thing to do that we all discussed is to just go OEM. It lasted this long why not give it a try again?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Man u dug up a 3yr old thread. Thats one dead give away your new. Lol. Easiest thing to do that we all discussed is to just go OEM. It lasted this long why not give it a try again?
It was still an informational read and gained some knowledge today.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem with my 01. I changed the pump last summer but for some reason i still hear an annoying noise. Could it be the belt or the hose?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 AM

yes it could be but it could be other things as well. Most Nissans develop a leaky PS hose.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

noise is usually bad pump or air in the lines/system.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So that's why my power steering has been screaming bloody murder since 2006. LOL!

When I did the repair on mine I was working in New Orleans at a sugar refinery that Katrina destroyed. All I had was stainless steal tubing and unions that are used to operate the air valves at the plant and there weren't any parts houses open with 50 miles at the time. Luckly I have another stock hose off a parts car I bought awhile back.

Anyway thanks LvR for that info.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can see my emergency repair job at top left corner.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Power steering systems usually draw air between the inlet side of the pump and the reservoir. Make sure the supply hose (the one going from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump) is not leaking and that the hose clamps are still tight. A problem here leads to aeration in the pump.