3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intrax springs suck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 09:43 PM

i've been looking for a way to improve my handling with my car. right now i've been just doing small things, wider tires, window vent shields and the like. i was looking at lowering springs and all i really saw was intrax. I was talking to a rep and he said that they were the stuff and on and on. well i asked if they were progressive and he said no, but that didn't matter. Like hell that doesn't matter. Personally i think he was trying to con me on this one. anyway, i've decided not to go with them because of this. i'd really like to do a coil over system, that way i could change my ride height for the roadcourse and for daily driving. does anyone out there make a coil over kit? also, are there any better spring kits out there other than intrax? The last thing was i would really like adjustable shocks/struts. tokiko makes a high performance shock, but no adjustable ones. does anyone make adjustable shocks for my max. Oh it's a late 92 SE by the way.

Ry
Old 11-07-2000, 08:52 AM

I dont think anyone makes coilovers. but eibach makes springs
Old 11-07-2000, 10:05 AM

Eibach's are what u want for handling.

but it's only like a 1 and a1/4 drop, Suspension Tech. 1.5 inch drop. Intrax the lowest at 1.75", not sure, but I don't think Cattman makes coilovers for the 3rd. gen. but he does for 4th. gen. Koni make adjustable shox for Maximas.
Sway bars improve handling, Strut tower bars too

Originally posted by flyry110
i've been looking for a way to improve my handling with my car. right now i've been just doing small things, wider tires, window vent shields and the like. i was looking at lowering springs and all i really saw was intrax. I was talking to a rep and he said that they were the stuff and on and on. well i asked if they were progressive and he said no, but that didn't matter. Like hell that doesn't matter. Personally i think he was trying to con me on this one. anyway, i've decided not to go with them because of this. i'd really like to do a coil over system, that way i could change my ride height for the roadcourse and for daily driving. does anyone out there make a coil over kit? also, are there any better spring kits out there other than intrax? The last thing was i would really like adjustable shocks/struts. tokiko makes a high performance shock, but no adjustable ones. does anyone make adjustable shocks for my max. Oh it's a late 92 SE by the way.

Ry
Old 11-07-2000, 10:15 AM

Re: Eibach's are what u want for handling.

I've heard that you can't get strut braces for a 92 SE twin cam. They said it won't fit up front.
Old 11-07-2000, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: Eibach's are what u want for handling.

who told you that, not sure but i think they are wrong.
don't buy the Stillen cuz you'll have to bend it to fit.
Ask around the general board, I think courtesy Nissan sells one.

Originally posted by flyry110
I've heard that you can't get strut braces for a 92 SE twin cam. They said it won't fit up front.
Old 11-07-2000, 12:50 PM

There are no coilovers available for the 3rd gen max. Buy yourself a set of springs and cut off the deadcoils. Then your car will sit like coilovers. That is what I did to mine. Its about a 4" drop now. Sit nice in the wheel wells. I wasn't satisfied with the drop height of the lowering springs themselves. A stock maxima sits way to high and someone needs to make like a 3" drop kit. Until then cutting the dead coils works great.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 11-07-2000, 01:08 PM

yea cutting the coils is great if you just want a drop. but they won't be progresive, and they won't have a higher spring rate. No thanks, i'm not gonna do a ghetto drop. I'll just look for a lowering spring.
Old 11-07-2000, 01:24 PM

Its not a ghetto drop. I'm not talking about cutting the stock springs. You still get the same performance if you cut an aftermarket spring. I agree with you though. I really wish that they made some coilovers. Good luck with the springs you decide to get.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 11-07-2000, 01:50 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

brian catts told me he was working on some coilovers for the third gen max. if they do come out expect the price to be high. the problem is he hasnt found a decent replacement shock.

and for the springs. i have intrax and i love them. they're not sloppy or rough or bouncy. pretty firm and they handle well. if you want a low drop but dont like intrax, try arospeed. they make a 1.75" drop for third gens and are cheaper than intrax. i dont think i know of anyone with them though. i was gonna get them when they first came out but they were on backorder so i cancelled and got intrax. why does everyone forget about arospeed? someone should give them a try.
Old 11-07-2000, 02:59 PM

springs/struts

For performance, Eibach Springs are the way to go. The rears are progressive, the fronts are not.

Koni makes the only ultra high performance shock. They are adjustable, but not easily so. They are also like $600, if you can get them. Last time I checked they were a back order from Holland.

Courtesy FSTBs fit the VE no big problem.

For better handles you need better tires, not nessarily wider tires. Higher speed rating, shorter/stiffer sidewalls, and a softer rubber compound.
Old 11-07-2000, 06:41 PM

I would like a little info about cutting the dead coils off?? What does this mean?? Can I do this to eibach springs?? Would I still get the same performance out of them if i cut the dead coils off???
Old 11-07-2000, 07:34 PM

i am not sure but i think sprint make springs for our max's and they are 2 or 2.25. do not quote me on that.
Patick
Old 11-07-2000, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by ryan
I would like a little info about cutting the dead coils off?? What does this mean?? Can I do this to eibach springs?? Would I still get the same performance out of them if i cut the dead coils off???
When you cut the dead coil you cut off the bottom part of the spring where it resta in the strut. This has no effect on the ride, but lowers the car to the height you want. You can do it to eibachs. I did it to my ST springs because i still didnt like how hi the car was after I put them on.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-08-2000, 07:34 AM

chris you cut like 5 inches off the very bottem. starting on the beginning of the spring. right? this discription is kinda hard you write.
Old 11-08-2000, 07:35 AM

ohh yea. did that 5 inches lower your ride an extra 2.50 inches? or did you cut off alittle more than 5 inches.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:04 AM

Intrax is fine

I heard all of the trash talk on intrax, but went with them anyway. I have had them for over a year now, no sagging,bouncing or any of that. It handles fine, and huggs the road nicely. go with intrax, don't cut your springs, no matter how you look at it, no spring was meant to be cut. It was designed that way for weight and stability, not for cutting. Ask any shop about cutting your springs and they will laugh at you.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:08 AM

There is no problem with cutting the springs. The maxima sits so high that there is plenty of room for play even after installing lowering springs. I have had no problems with mine and I live on some of the worst back roads. If you are gonna cut them I would do it yourself and not ask anyone else to do it. Its not hard and the amount that you cut off of your deadcoils depends on how high your car sits before you cut them.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-08-2000, 11:59 AM

chris you cut them 5 inches to get the ride to drop 4"? or did you cut more than that?
Patrick
Old 11-08-2000, 12:34 PM

Yeah it was like 5". The total height from the stock springs was lowered about 4". I think before I cut them my car sat 2" lower with the ST springs. After I cut them they droped another 2". I could still go farther and I am tempted to, but I want to wait until I get new shocks first.

Old 11-08-2000, 12:39 PM

SWEET!!! I wanna see this when you get back home chris...this sounds (and/or looks) awesome! I know about your situation...we (maxima.org) can all wait until you get home for you to get some pictures.
Old 11-08-2000, 12:42 PM
galen92se

Re: springs/struts

Originally posted by amax935
For performance, Eibach Springs are the way to go. The rears are progressive, the fronts are not.

Koni makes the only ultra high performance shock. They are adjustable, but not easily so. They are also like $600, if you can get them. Last time I checked they were a back order from Holland.

Courtesy FSTBs fit the VE no big problem.

For better handles you need better tires, not nessarily wider tires. Higher speed rating, shorter/stiffer sidewalls, and a softer rubber compound.
Just bought the Courtesy FSTB and it rubs on my 92Se with VE motor. What tips can you offer to enhance the fit? Mine rubs on the passenger side intake manifold and also on the vent hose tapoff on the driver's side.