3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 AM

Battery relocation

Just starting to relocate battery to trunk...
Kit

Trunk area chosen

trial fitting

Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 AM

Thats real nice man Hoping to here it in two weeks.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM

It's not that I'm a picture taking fool, someone asked if I can log the battery relocate...
Rear muffler heatshield needs to be removed:

Installed studs with jamsnuts:

Drilled box with oversized holes to fit over jamnuts:

Passenger side stud is inside box frame so I had to make an access hole to tighten the stud's nut:

Socket inside the access hole:

more to come...........
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM

After drilling and making access into box frame;

Temporary battery I'm using until I get another Optima red top:

The Battery strap isn't wide enough to fit over the battery:

But the strap is too wide to fit between the vent caps

I'll use some rectangular aluminum stock that will fit perfectly between the vent caps:
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Well folks 99% done with battery relocation....All that is left is to fabricate the tiedown strap/bar...Powered up the car tested all the lights, cut, crimped and soldered in new battery wire lugs and harness lugs as well....after having problem with positive chassis wire quick disconnects.
Pressure tested fuel system and found 3 leaks...also found that I purchased 3/8" lines instead of 5/16" and fuel injection clamps aren't able to total collapse the hose around the tubing. So I'm addressing that...Starter turns but doesn't engage with the flywheel via the solenoid! I'll be addressing that issue as well! Getting closer!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The first thing that comes to mind when one relocates the battery in one of these cars is it's turbo time...Amirite?
Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 AM

Maxitech...I had a few issues once I got the battery power....bought some 3/8" fuel hoses instead of 5/16" so there were a few fuel leaks I had to fix properly. Also removed that dual plastic quick disconnect connector @ the positive battery post clamp, with some soldered in terminal lugs....The last and only issue left is the starter is not kicking out the solenoid to engage the flexplate and it appears to be a starter issue....so I'll pull it and see If there's something I can do/fix, if not I'll get one from the boneyard since there are so many 3rd Gens out there! But I'm pretty much ready to start it finally, been working long hrs lately ...How'd you like that Texas snow yesterday?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 PM

What is the wire guage of the cables that run to the front? I relocated a battery to the trunk a lot of years ago and I used 00 guage (about half inch) only because I knew I needed heavier guage and that was the heaviest guage I could afford. It worked fine, probably overkill.

You got more snow than me. We almost got missed, had a light coat but then it became rain and was washed away.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What is the wire guage of the cables that run to the front? I relocated a battery to the trunk a lot of years ago and I used 00 guage (about half inch) only because I knew I needed heavier guage and that was the heaviest guage I could afford. It worked fine, probably overkill.

You got more snow than me. We almost got missed, had a light coat but then it became rain and was washed away.
Just go ahead and use 1 gauge. Thats what he is using and what I'm going to be using.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CMax03
Maxitech...I had a few issues once I got the battery power....bought some 3/8" fuel hoses instead of 5/16" so there were a few fuel leaks I had to fix properly. Also removed that dual plastic quick disconnect connector @ the positive battery post clamp, with some soldered in terminal lugs....The last and only issue left is the starter is not kicking out the solenoid to engage the flexplate and it appears to be a starter issue....so I'll pull it and see If there's something I can do/fix, if not I'll get one from the boneyard since there are so many 3rd Gens out there! But I'm pretty much ready to start it finally, been working long hrs lately ...How'd you like that Texas snow yesterday?
Snowed a bit last year, if I recall...I just went home early to get off the roads. I have no problem driving in snow, but it's everyone else I'm worried about!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Snowed a bit last year, if I recall...I just went home early to get off the roads. I have no problem driving in snow, but it's everyone else I'm worried about!
Same here!! Stayed at the house once home...I've driven in snow myself as well....