3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My 3rd gen is coming alive again!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gunther
nice find on the rocker panel, I've been keeping my eye out for something even close to rust free to no avail.
Oh yeah? BTW I convinced my buddy to part out the car. I'm slowly taking parts from it. Think I'll go ****** the exhaust setup later . It's super white and super clean too.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 05-13-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well, today I went to the JY and got my quarter panel and rocker panel and sometime this week I'm having this guy that works out of his garage look at the Max. He's done a lot of work for the local B13-14 guys and saw some of his work today and was truly impressed with his work.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Btw, can you pick up that sneaker for me? PM me with price
Yo I got your shoe! it was actually still there so I brought it home, pics coming soon
Old 05-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by ColombianMax

Yo I got your shoe! it was actually still there so I brought it home, pics coming soon
Hehe, oh man your the best. Can't wait to see pics
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM

We didn't have enough time or battery to get both quarter panels but at least I'm one step closer to getting my rust taken care of =] I definitely wait to have my 3rd gen looking mint, if only it were a 5spd but I've been driving it nearly everyday lately and I just totally missed the ride. I can be doing 120 and the damn thing feels so solid and as if I were doing 65! My 4th gen definitely feels scary past 100 lol

mmm hmm look at that shoe

Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 AM

How did you acquire that rear panel?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
junkyard he worked at; he cut it off
my local junkyard doesn;t allow power tools stupid perks.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by BenStoked
my local junkyard doesn;t allow power tools stupid perks.
Neither does mine. Thus, I've always wondered how one goes about acquiring body panels. I'm gonna need a roof skin for my blue VE and I'm not sure how I'm going to get one
Old 05-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Pardon me for being a noob but the next step is to weld it on his car right?
It just that that area is where I have damage from a fool that did a hit and run from me. I thought it would be the easier way to fix it if it was a "panel."

I just let a shop do it for me
Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM

I got it from the junk yard I used to work at back in 2008 and my buddy was the one who cut it for me. All I had to do was give buy him blades for his Milwaukee Sawzall (reciprocating saw) I'm also helping him swap his trans on Express 2500 van for helping me with this.

Pardon me for being a noob but the next step is to weld it on his car right?
It just that that area is where I have damage from a fool that did a hit and run from me. I thought it would be the easier way to fix it if it was a "panel."

I just let a shop do it for me
Correct, the next step would be to pull all the trim, windshield, door, tail light, bumper cover and reinforcement and cut out the portion on my car that I'm replacing. If any rust is behind all that, treat it and weld the new piece on. Once there is zero rust or body damages, I will have my car painted

As far as there being an easier way... I'm sure there is. Depending on the damage, you can probably get the dent popped and filled up with bondo but IMO, thats just covering up the ugly truth.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I miss my VE

mmm hmm look at that shoe

Ok I want it overnighted to me via express/priority mail asap. And please use plenty of bubble wrap.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 PM

You see guys...we do it for the love!...Nice job columbian max..hats off! adios
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

you gonna cut it at the spot welds and put it on that way right? Eastwood makes some good spot weld cutters. You don't want to cut and butt weld splice that thing together (well except for the C pillar).

Also when you get the other side, cut the quarter a little higher. Its easier to mate up the smaller section of the c pillar (also less to warp). You will need to buy some seam sealer as well.

I speak from experience since I have replaced 3 (or is it 4...cant remember lol) quarters on 3rd gens.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Damn man...I read this thread back when I first got my 3rd gen and didnt even realize you were in my backyard! I F-ing hate rust. May I ask...how much is all this costing you? And how much of it is taken care of via hookups? lol. I need your connections
Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by bigmax90
You see guys...we do it for the love!...Nice job colombian max..hats off! adios
Correct, I have much love and respect for this car. Its given me 50k miles of uninterrupted and unbroken down driving until of course the rust on the strut tower but that was not a mechanical issue.

Originally Posted by Michael
you gonna cut it at the spot welds and put it on that way right? Eastwood makes some good spot weld cutters. You don't want to cut and butt weld splice that thing together (well except for the C pillar).

Also when you get the other side, cut the quarter a little higher. Its easier to mate up the smaller section of the c pillar (also less to warp). You will need to buy some seam sealer as well.

I speak from experience since I have replaced 3 (or is it 4...cant remember lol) quarters on 3rd gens.
I'm not doing the job myself, its a bit of a big one for me here and I'd hate to screw something like this up, especially me not knowing how to weld yet. We were originally cutting it way up top but for some reason we ended up cutting lower which wasn't planned

I'm not sure how its getting installed since I'm considering having a pro install it. You wanna do it for me Mike?

Originally Posted by hotrodder
Damn man...I read this thread back when I first got my 3rd gen and didnt even realize you were in my backyard! I F-ing hate rust. May I ask...how much is all this costing you? And how much of it is taken care of via hookups? lol. I need your connections
I'm in yo back yard stealing yo bike! Quarter panels run $75 plus 10.25% Chicago tax so roughly 82.50 PLUS 2 packs of Milwaukee heavy duty sawzall blades at 15.95 x2 for my buddy and help my buddy install a tranny since I don't own a reciprocating saw and have never seen a QP cut out so I asked him for the favor. A few posts above this one tell you exactly how much I paid for that panel

Last edited by ColombianMax; 05-19-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 AM

Oh..so you dont know how much $$ its gonna cost to do the install yet? You got the strut towers done pretty dang cheap. And so far pretty cheap for parts. The max is in good hands...not too many people would go through this much to fix her up. Good job man. I wish I would have had the time and $$ to fix up my 3rd gen but once the trans went, it just seemed like a colossal undertaking that I just couldnt get rolling.

I want to see it when its done!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodder
Oh..so you dont know how much $$ its gonna cost to do the install yet? You got the strut towers done pretty dang cheap. And so far pretty cheap for parts. The max is in good hands...not too many people would go through this much to fix her up. Good job man. I wish I would have had the time and $$ to fix up my 3rd gen but once the trans went, it just seemed like a colossal undertaking that I just couldnt get rolling.

I want to see it when its done!
Yea no idea on the price yet and yes I am broke at the moment! My tranny has about 20k miles on it so its still a baby

The friend who helped me with the strut tower says he's not really comfortable doing QPs because of all the prettiness required and aligning it properly and he just doesn't wanna have to deal with it I guess.

I've got someone who will be looking at it and giving me a price soon but for now I'm happy at least I have the part... I'm a lot closer than I was 1 month ago.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM

sweet man...more power to ya. I still wanna see it when its done You will get er done soon enough.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

actually the quarter panel is really easy to install...there really is not much to align.

you follow all the seams and find all the spot welds (will be little indentions). Get a spot weld cutter and cut them out. Put the new panel on and it will pretty much align itself. The spot welds should be in about the same place and everything is done at a seam which makes it so easy to align.

Then you just weld up the holes where the spot welds were. The spot weld cutter will cut out the top of the spot weld but leave it underneath for you to weld to.

The only difficult thing is the C pillar. Getting it aligned and welded without warping it.

I am too far away from you to do it or I would definitely help you or have you help me.

You will pay a LOT for a shop to do it though. The back glass has to come out (so you have to figure that in the price).

I will see if I can dig up pics of when I did one of mine. Maybe it shows the spot welds etc.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM

actually the quarter panel is really easy to install...there really is not much to align.

you follow all the seams and find all the spot welds (will be little indentions). Get a spot weld cutter and cut them out. Put the new panel on and it will pretty much align itself. The spot welds should be in about the same place and everything is done at a seam which makes it so easy to align.

Then you just weld up the holes where the spot welds were. The spot weld cutter will cut out the top of the spot weld but leave it underneath for you to weld to.

The only difficult thing is the C pillar. Getting it aligned and welded without warping it.

I am too far away from you to do it or I would definitely help you or have you help me.

You will pay a LOT for a shop to do it though. The back glass has to come out (so you have to figure that in the price).

I will see if I can dig up pics of when I did one of mine. Maybe it shows the spot welds etc.

Kool, I'll take a look and study the area to see where the spot welds are and try to figure it out. As far as the glass coming out shouldn't be an issue as I believe I still have a "hook up" with a glass place that would buy all their glass from the JY I worked for

Thank you sir!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Well since you stole my bike and all...I figure why not just give you more...Michael should fly out here, stay with you a while, help with the body work and I can help too to learn how to do it. Ill throw a few bucks in to get a plane ticket
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I miss my VE

Kool, I'll take a look and study the area to see where the spot welds are and try to figure it out. As far as the glass coming out shouldn't be an issue as I believe I still have a "hook up" with a glass place that would buy all their glass from the JY I worked for

Thank you sir!
I'd help you get that glass out, but as Mike said, Im too far away. Getting that glass out shouldn't be too hard if you had access to autoglass tools. Much easier then the windshield. Theres actually a revolutionary tool we used at my shop before I left. It was a small generator type thing, with jumper cables connected to some kind of glass safe pad, and you would rub it over the area where the glue is from the outside. Eventually you would see smoke come out(but it doesn't burn the interior) and it would release the glue from the inside without breaking the glass. It was amazing, but time consuming. I guess it used electric current to heat up the metal underneath the glue which made it release.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Nice, im happy for you and the car.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

actually getting the glass out is easy. Its putting it in where you need the glass people with their special sealant. You can buy the sealant but they have a motorized applicator since the stuff is so thick.

The GXE is easier to cut out since the trim is separate from the glass. On my SEs I took razor blades and cut it out from the inside to save the rubber trim that is attached to the glass.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by ABlackSER
Nice, im happy for you and the car.
It's not a car. It's a Maxima
Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 AM
I miss my VE

actually getting the glass out is easy. Its putting it in where you need the glass people with their special sealant. You can buy the sealant but they have a motorized applicator since the stuff is so thick.

The GXE is easier to cut out since the trim is separate from the glass. On my SEs I took razor blades and cut it out from the inside to save the rubber trim that is attached to the glass.
The special sealant is some kind of urethane, and If Im not mistaken, you can get the motorized applicator at home depot or sears.

Believe it or not, I use to work for a shop that was too cheap to buy a motorized applicator and just used a manual quality caulking style gun, and had less come-backs for leaks then the shop that used the motorized one. It did take alot out of your forarm though.

You tell em John!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

The special sealant is some kind of urethane, and If Im not mistaken, you can get the motorized applicator at home depot or sears.

Believe it or not, I use to work for a shop that was too cheap to buy a motorized applicator and just used a manual quality caulking style gun, and had less come-backs for leaks then the shop that used the motorized one. It did take alot out of your forarm though.
cool I will look for that applicator. I bet it did take a lot out of you to do it with a regular gun lol. My glass guy said the same thing.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I miss my VE

cool I will look for that applicator. I bet it did take a lot out of you to do it with a regular gun lol. My glass guy said the same thing.
Yep, but I think thats because I rarely applied the glue. The owners of the shop on the other hand made it look like a breeze from all those years using it. Muscle memory I guess
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Yep, but I think thats because I rarely applied the glue. The owners of the shop on the other hand made it look like a breeze from all those years using it. Muscle memory I guess
haha he must have Popeye forearms
Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
I miss my VE

haha he must have Popeye forearms
Lol, suprisingly they did not.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Umm ok...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM