3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

weird whirring sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM

weird whirring sound

After installing a couple injectors and dome tweeters up front, my car started making this weird noise. At first I thought my alternator was dying but I'm getting 14.1v out of it. My power steering was low (dry) so I filled that back up too. Whatever it is it whines with respect to my rpms and the speakers pop when I hit the brakes and click when I use the turn signal. I don't think this is a grounding issue with the amps or head unit as I've had absolutely no problem previously, that's why its not in the audio section.

Any ideas? Did I forget a ground wire when reinstalling the intake, I see 2 at the back (near the firewall) of the intake. Its a 90 VG gxe.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM

I imagine the whirring noise is from your p/s pump. I just finished up a big project and carelessly left the fluid out of mine until about 10-20 minutes of idling. The engine running was so captivating to me that I forgot other essentials. There wasn't any noise until I put fluid in it either...........

I have been advised by Chirs Gregg to perhaps try Lucas Oil products power steering fluid additive to subtle the effects of having no fluid in the system while operating. Also, he pointed out that the FSM says to use Auto Trans Fluid in the power steering system........

As far as the clicking from your speakers, the best thing you could do is check your ground(s), in my opinion, and double check your wiring. From what I remember, there are ground connections on the upper intake whereby small eyes coming from the wiring harness attach to the intake. There are, I think, two total on the firewall side, one in between the injectors. As far as how this would effect your stereo, I don't see a connection, but I hope this helps in some strange way. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM

i have a feeling it has to be your charging system or a ground of some sort. recheck all your grounds. i had a similar problem and it turned out it was my alternator overcharging my optima red top.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM

I bet its all in the speakers especially if they pop when you hit the brakes. Are you sure the whirring isn't coming from your new tweeters?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM

not enough ground. mine does that too.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

with audio, is there ever such thing as "too much ground"?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 PM

do you have a 4 channel amp ?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Sounds like shoddy stereo equipment to me. Either install a different head unit, or install a ground loop isolator which should solve the RPM whine, doubt it does anything about the popping sound. Ditch the Jensen.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 AM

GRNMAXDMON-i have a yellow top and a cap and the cap reads a steady 14.1 until the bass hits, what did you change?
Gunther-it is in all the speakers, i took one tweeter out and there was still noise. i'll take them both out tonight and see what happens.
Stwodahorty-it shouldn't be grounding as there was absolutely no noise before, unless they came loose. i've checked both amps and the screws are nice and snug.
twtraudio-yep a 4ch is running the speakers inside.

caped-i did see two grounding tabs on the tranny, only one has a wire to it, could i have pulled something off when moving the intake? how many ground points are on your tranny?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nc90gxe
GRNMAXDMON-i have a yellow top and a cap and the cap reads a steady 14.1 until the bass hits, what did you change?
Gunther-it is in all the speakers, i took one tweeter out and there was still noise. i'll take them both out tonight and see what happens.
Stwodahorty-it shouldn't be grounding as there was absolutely no noise before, unless they came loose. i've checked both amps and the screws are nice and snug.
twtraudio-yep a 4ch is running the speakers inside.

caped-i did see two grounding tabs on the tranny, only one has a wire to it, could i have pulled something off when moving the intake? how many ground points are on your tranny?
just one. dunno if maybe one of the inside grounds (behind dash or kick panels) isn't on as well as it should be, perhaps.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 AM

the electronics im not sure about but the powersteering system i can help with. if you just dumped in new powersteering and didnt flush it right you could have air bubbles in it. just wondering you said before you put new power steering fluid in it you said it was dry? was there no fluid whatsoever or what? if it was completly low and you just refilled it then check it again and see if its gone down a lot. then look under the car. im wondering if you maybe have a leak in a line or something. an air bubble can get in that way and probably effect you ps pump. check everything and worse case scenario id try flushing the ps fluid again and when you go to put fluid in turn your steering wheel all the way right then add some and have another guy turn your steering wheel back and forth multiple times to make sure you get the fluid all the way down in the pump and dont have air bubbles. good luck with the stereo stuff!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM

OK. so i found the problem. it was the freakin left tweeter speaker wire. when i disconnected it, no more noise and the right one is still hooked up. i attribute this to all the wire in the driver side door. so i'm going to get some vacuum hose and run the speaker wire through that and hope no emi can make it through that.

and the power steering is still louder than normal under the hood. the first little bit of fluid i put in got sucked down so i'm going to add some more. there are no puddles though so i guess its just a slow leak.

but why was i hearing my ps pump from wires in my door
anyway thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM

PS pump might have just had air in it, look up the bleeding procedure, its on here somewhere.

Did you take the left tweeter out of the car? Might want to make sure that you don't have any exposed wire touching the chassis.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM

When you ran the wires to the trunk did you run the rca's on the same side as the power wire ?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by twtraudio
When you ran the wires to the trunk did you run the rca's on the same side as the power wire ?
Removing the new tweeter solved the interference issue so I don't think this is where the sound is getting picked up.