3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Parking brake fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Parking brake fail

So yeah the other day I was at Autozone getting a battery for my s2000 and from no where someone said someone's maxima is rolling out of the parking spot. Turns out it was mine and some dude was keeping it from rolling into the street. I did pull up the parking brake to about 8 clicks. I'm not sure if the rear brakes are broken. Recently, my friend adjusted the parking brake lever so that it wouldn't be loose because before it was loose when you pulled it up until you get it up all the way. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I just leave the car in gear now when I park anywhere.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by tv4184
So yeah the other day I was at Autozone getting a battery for my s2000 and from no where someone said someone's maxima is rolling out of the parking spot. Turns out it was mine and some dude was keeping it from rolling into the street. I did pull up the parking brake to about 8 clicks. I'm not sure if the rear brakes are broken. Recently, my friend adjusted the parking brake lever so that it wouldn't be loose because before it was loose when you pulled it up until you get it up all the way. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I just leave the car in gear now when I park anywhere.
hmmm... broken ebrake cable perhaps? is this drums or discs in the back?

jack the car up and take the rearward heatshield off from over the catalytic converter so you can see the ebrake cables. have someone pull/release the handle a few times and tell us what you see.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Has it ever done that before?
Could just be worn out shoes, but if this just suddenly happened and the handbrake has always worked well before this, check the cable and all the links.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 PM

i'm gonna guess its the cable
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

nickel says busted cable.
this is why I park in gear.
before someone calls this stupid:
if some moron tries to drive my car, and doesn't take it out of gear, it's his fault for wrecking it if he screws up. and NOBODY drives my car, but me, or someone I know that I actually know knows how to drive stick (and check the shifter before letting off the clutch.)
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
nickel says busted cable.
this is why I park in gear.
before someone calls this stupid:
if some moron tries to drive my car, and doesn't take it out of gear, it's his fault for wrecking it if he screws up. and NOBODY drives my car, but me, or someone I know that I actually know knows how to drive stick (and check the shifter before letting off the clutch.)
i always check for neutral on a m/t car before letting off the clutch when i start it just a common-sense habit. though an engine this size will often times stall out if you just dump the clutch w/o giving it any gas... may not be the case with a bigger engine like in a corvette.

but yea sadly, one busted cable can easily cause both brakes to lose their parking brake functionality cuz of the way the load leveler works.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
STFU n00b!

If your friend adjusted it recently, then UN-adjust it. Kaleb jacked with mine several years ago because he thought it was loose. It never worked right again. shoulda left it alone.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 AM

I see a write up opportunity. We should know how to properly adjust our brake cable, with helpful pics, naturally. I love DIY write ups, it shows the true nature of these cars that the manual(s) can't, but I suppose it's a double edged sword considering some things on our cars are indistinguishable and a manual is required just to figure out whats underneath the dirt and grime!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Maybe the cable is busted. My mechanic told me last year that he tried to tighten the drums or adjust them but said they were messed up. When we pull it the car holds sometimes...you can't push it but one time last year three of us sat in the car in the parking lot after leaving a restaurant...and the car started rolling on its own...
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Okay I know its been a while but my friend and I were able to jack up the car and mess with the brake. Initially when we pulled nothing happened. Then after some WD40 and taking the caliper apart the brake handle was solid again but when we pulled it, it felt like something was slipping and the brake was still loose. However now when we pull it hard enough the brake engages but doesnt release when we let the lever down. The spring that's supposed to release the brake cable does work it just seems like the brake cable may be seized somewhere? Is there anyway to check this. The problem is only occurring on the driver side so would we only replace the driver side cable?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

that's entirely possible for a cable to be seized or sticky given their age and what kind of crap can be splashed underneath the car over the course of 20 years, tho i'm not sure how easy (if at all practically possible) it would be to somehow clean it out and relubricate it, so replacement might be the best/only practical option. give it a shot and see what happens. where are you planning to source the new2u cable from? junkyard one that feels to be in good shape, or a brand new one from the dealer?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-28-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by tv4184
Okay I know its been a while but my friend and I were able to jack up the car and mess with the brake. Initially when we pulled nothing happened. Then after some WD40 and taking the caliper apart the brake handle was solid again but when we pulled it, it felt like something was slipping and the brake was still loose. However now when we pull it hard enough the brake engages but doesnt release when we let the lever down. The spring that's supposed to release the brake cable does work it just seems like the brake cable may be seized somewhere? Is there anyway to check this. The problem is only occurring on the driver side so would we only replace the driver side cable?
Common issue for the ebrake cables..especially in states with that salt!!..had to replace twice, then moved to FLA and found a junker with some great cables..dealer cost is i believe is $70-$80 price range per side