3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can Driving With 1 Broken Injector Do Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

Can Driving With 1 Broken Injector Do Damage?

Popped another injector a couple days ago. Car seems quite weak and it has that vibration at idle like before.

Anyone know if damage can be done if I drive around 'lightly' (up to 2000 RPM) in this condition?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM

it can ruin alot of things. the engine mount will wear faster too from all the vibration.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:45 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
Popped another injector a couple days ago. Car seems quite weak and it has that vibration at idle like before.

Anyone know if damage can be done if I drive around 'lightly' (up to 2000 RPM) in this condition?
you mean you don't know?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you mean you don't know?
well he didn't know whether or not the added 1-2cc of overboring his engine would create so much extra heat to warrant a racing radiator...... so i'm gonna take a wild guess and say no, he doesn't.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
well he didn't know whether or not the added 1-2cc of overboring his engine would create so much extra heat to warrant a racing radiator...... so i'm gonna take a wild guess and say no, he doesn't.
wasn't my point. Every time someone says something he questions it, and then will say something to the contrary.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
STFU n00b!

is it failed open or failed closed?
if open, then yeah.. you'll do tons of damage. if closed, then you'll shake the car to death but that's it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM

how bad is the virbration and is it at idle in neutral or in drive when it bad ?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Holy ****e

The rear of the crossmember disconnected from the chassis and the engine almost dropped to the road. The replacement flange nuts I bought were ever so slightly smaller in diameter than the holes (and corroded OEM flange nuts) where the rubber padding things are (couldn't see the diameter of the holes back in the fall because the rubber was covering it), so it ultimately punched through on both holes. I'm surprised it's gone months now by just holding by the rubber, or maybe the hole enlarged. For some reason FAST shows there are 2 washers there, but I could have sworn mine just had those OEM flange nuts (hence eliminating the need for washers). Maybe if someone gets a chance check their OEM setup and see if there are any washers after the flange nuts.

It goes to show how sturdy those side tranny mounts are and the front cross member joint. I thought from looking at it, it would rip the front bolts out from cross member to lower radiator support, but I guess the trans mounts and that front was enough points for temporary support. That rear trans mount near the firewall looked odd, it was angled so much, and I was wondering why the hell the engine was angled so far down on an angle and low. Looked underneath and I was like WHAT THE HELL - the cross member was so close to the drive way.

I drove about 60 KM on the highway thinking the injector blew because of the vibration and lack of power, I guess the CV joint was angled so much that it was rubbing on something, and slowed it down to hell. I was also concerned that I thought the exhaust manifolds would break off, but I suspect that flex section in the header pipe is enough to tolerate it. This explains the weird bang sound I heard when I went over a manhole - immediately I thought, humm the injector must have blew - it's now vibrating, I went on my merry way.

I fixed it by installing 2 M12 fender washers and new hex nuts with a high collar lock washer between the fender washer and M12 hex nut. I jacked up the front and set it on jack stands, then raised the cross member with a small Torin jack. Fixed it nice and no damage so far, ran it downtown and back on the highway tonight. No vibrations and acceleration is back to normal.

Those mounts really saved the day (and of course that front cross member joint...if that disconnected, it surely would have been on the ground).

I've got to say, I love this bloody car, it's so insane (or maybe i'm insane) - and Matt...this is just one more of those incidents you predicted getting ever so closer to my demise

So far from this little mishap, the car drives really nice. Power is back to 16 yrs ago, it feels great.

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 01-21-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by internetautomar
wasn't my point. Every time someone says something he questions it, and then will say something to the contrary.
No really. Alot of people say stuff on here that is right, but some people say stuff that is occasionally wrong too. If nobody is there to point out the wrong, then we would all be spreading wrong information. Everyone has a duty to correct errors, since car repair is risky business for the home mechanic....or any mechanic for that matter.

I hope to god people correct me when I'm wrong. I'm often right, and I'm often wrong, but I'm right more than I'm wrong...usually. That's why I do crazy things like replacing EVERY single nut and bolt on my max with NON-OEM bolts, as I had confidence in my selection process. Here in this instance, I made a mistake, as everyone does. 2 out of 500 or more bolts is pretty good so far, and my makeshift welding on the tranverse link gusset seems to be holding up OK Matt, but your photo helped alot in giving me ideas to fix it. I ended up welding a cap screw in there, I basically stuck the head into the hole after enlarging it with the carbide burr from Burr Monster, then welded it in place. I used an M16 Cap screw, and M16 hex nut with lock washer on the bottom part. I check it now and then to make sure it's still secure.

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 01-21-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

wait so... your injectors were never the problem? then why the perceived lack of power?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Holy ****e

The rear of the crossmember disconnected from the chassis and the engine almost dropped to the road. The replacement flange nuts I bought were ever so slightly smaller in diameter than the holes (and corroded OEM flange nuts) where the rubber padding things are (couldn't see the diameter of the holes back in the fall because the rubber was covering it), so it ultimately punched through on both holes. I'm surprised it's gone months now by just holding by the rubber, or maybe the hole enlarged. For some reason FAST shows there are 2 washers there, but I could have sworn mine just had those OEM flange nuts (hence eliminating the need for washers). Maybe if someone gets a chance check their OEM setup and see if there are any washers after the flange nuts.

It goes to show how sturdy those side tranny mounts are and the front cross member joint. I thought from looking at it, it would rip the front bolts out from cross member to lower radiator support, but I guess the trans mounts and that front was enough points for temporary support. That rear trans mount near the firewall looked odd, it was angled so much, and I was wondering why the hell the engine was angled so far down on an angle and low. Looked underneath and I was like WHAT THE HELL - the cross member was so close to the drive way.

I drove about 60 KM on the highway thinking the injector blew because of the vibration and lack of power, I guess the CV joint was angled so much that it was rubbing on something, and slowed it down to hell. I was also concerned that I thought the exhaust manifolds would break off, but I suspect that flex section in the header pipe is enough to tolerate it. This explains the weird bang sound I heard when I went over a manhole - immediately I thought, humm the injector must have blew - it's now vibrating, I went on my merry way.

I fixed it by installing 2 M12 fender washers and new hex nuts with a high collar lock washer between the fender washer and M12 hex nut. I jacked up the front and set it on jack stands, then raised the cross member with a small Torin jack. Fixed it nice and no damage so far, ran it downtown and back on the highway tonight. No vibrations and acceleration is back to normal.

Those mounts really saved the day (and of course that front cross member joint...if that disconnected, it surely would have been on the ground).

I've got to say, I love this bloody car, it's so insane (or maybe i'm insane) - and Matt...this is just one more of those incidents you predicted getting ever so closer to my demise

So far from this little mishap, the car drives really nice. Power is back to 16 yrs ago, it feels great.
LOL OMFG!! that's classic.
yeah keep doing what you're doing.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
STFU n00b!

No really. Alot of people say stuff on here that is right, but some people say stuff that is occasionally wrong too. If nobody is there to point out the wrong, then we would all be spreading wrong information. Everyone has a duty to correct errors, since car repair is risky business for the home mechanic....or any mechanic for that matter.

I hope to god people correct me when I'm wrong. I'm often right, and I'm often wrong, but I'm right more than I'm wrong...usually. That's why I do crazy things like replacing EVERY single nut and bolt on my max with NON-OEM bolts, as I had confidence in my selection process. Here in this instance, I made a mistake, as everyone does. 2 out of 500 or more bolts is pretty good so far, and my makeshift welding on the tranverse link gusset seems to be holding up OK Matt, but your photo helped alot in giving me ideas to fix it. I ended up welding a cap screw in there, I basically stuck the head into the hole after enlarging it with the carbide burr from Burr Monster, then welded it in place. I used an M16 Cap screw, and M16 hex nut with lock washer on the bottom part. I check it now and then to make sure it's still secure.

I hope to god you stop trying to fix your car yourself. You do more wrong than you do right, whether you think so or not.

It's also one thing to question things that you think are wrong. it's another thing altogether to questions EVERYTHING said to you.

I've been around car forums for over ten years, and you've got to be the singular biggest pain in the *** I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DanNY
LOL OMFG!! that's classic.
yeah keep doing what you're doing.
wait... why are you ADVOCATING him to keep "fixing" his car until he commits accidental vehicular homicide?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
STFU n00b!

So eventually maybe Darwin will kill him off and we'll finally be rid of him.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
So eventually maybe Darwin will kill him off and we'll finally be rid of him.
i don't think Darwinism includes killing others WHILE killing oneself tho...
Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Holy ****e

Holy crap....dude...just pay a mechanic...really not worth your life...or something..Oh and hey guys haven't posted here in awhile. Gots lots of updates on my lovely 93 SE, god I love the car. But I'll post that elsewhere :P
Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 AM
STFU n00b!

If we're lucky, he'll only take out himself and maybe anyone dumb enough to mate with him.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
If we're lucky, he'll only take out himself and maybe anyone dumb enough to mate with him.
eh, kinda risky to just let it all come down to 'luck'
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM

Not Animal Darwinism, Human Darwinism.
Well, survival of the fittest can also mean you are fit to survive if you can get out of the unfit's way.

1993-VG30E-GXE, I commend you for trying to solve problems yourself. But until you get the experience of knowing you car as you know how to look up info on an FSM, I recommend you train with a mechanic or make some friends with the MaxMasters here. Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom.

Last edited by Darkwing48; 01-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM
STFU n00b!

You're too nice. I gave up on that a long time ago.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

It seems to be going pretty good guys. Just testing if the mounts aren't jiggling. Today driving a new Infiiniti 2009, a guy almost slammed into me when I ran a stop sign in a condo roadway, I was day dreaming again about some fine *** girl. He seemed pretty pissed off at me and tried yelling when he rolled down his window. I just looked at him.

Thank god another one of my 9 lives got used up again. Pretty soon i'm going to need a new batch.

>But until you get the experience of knowing you car as you know how to look up info >on an FSM, I recommend you train with a mechanic or make some friends with the >MaxMasters here. Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom.

You think to be true what you hope to be true. Unfortunately around here, and in all garages, EVERYONE is in the same boat, it's just the way life goes my friend. We live in an uncertain world where men like to talk shop, and none really knows that much about anything...we just know bits of stuff here and there, but occasionally men get people that follow them, it reinforces their safety.

>i don't think Darwinism includes killing others WHILE killing oneself tho...

I don't think it means intentionally killing others, but I do believe deep down inside, that if I had to choose, I would have others die before me, if I had the choice, as self preservation is an important thing to me. I usually don't put people in harms way though, I like to lead a quiet and 'upstanding citizen' appearance. I take risks in life, some stupid some smart...we all do, and there will sometimes be some unfortunate soul on the other side who will lose to me, but pretty much everyone is this way, I'll just admit it out loud. People are scared of the truth because they don't want to admit it. I know a lot of you are like this, you just don't know it yet. In fact, anyone modding their engine is like this. NONE of you, and I mean NONE of you know everything. You just know little bits and bobs you picked up along the way here and there like anyone else.

When I drive though, you can be assured that i'm always in control, and I do obey the road, as it's important to follow rules and regulations, for appearance purposes (plus for safety of others, but I don't do stunt driving)

Have a good week my maxima brothers!!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Today driving a new Infiiniti 2009, a guy almost slammed into me when I ran a stop sign in a condo roadway, I was day dreaming again about some fine *** girl.
When I drive though, you can be assured that i'm always in control, and I do obey the road, as it's important to follow rules and regulations, for appearance purposes
What?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reizy
What?
Good, somebody else noticed that too. That post was fundamentally flawed, proof reading FTW.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Garf
Good, somebody else noticed that too. That post was fundamentally flawed, proof reading FTW.
LOL...he's fundamentally flawed.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

>i don't think Darwinism includes killing others WHILE killing oneself tho...

I don't think it means intentionally killing others, but I do believe deep down inside, that if I had to choose, I would have others die before me, if I had the choice, as self preservation is an important thing to me. I usually don't put people in harms way though, I like to lead a quiet and 'upstanding citizen' appearance. I take risks in life, some stupid some smart...we all do, and there will sometimes be some unfortunate soul on the other side who will lose to me, but pretty much everyone is this way, I'll just admit it out loud. People are scared of the truth because they don't want to admit it. I know a lot of you are like this, you just don't know it yet. In fact, anyone modding their engine is like this. NONE of you, and I mean NONE of you know everything. You just know little bits and bobs you picked up along the way here and there like anyone else.

When I drive though, you can be assured that i'm always in control, and I do obey the road, as it's important to follow rules and regulations, for appearance purposes (plus for safety of others, but I don't do stunt driving
the "safety of others" is nonexistant given that your engine almost fell out of your car while you were driving it! If you are concerned with the safety of others, get a new (like 2010-model-year new) car, and don't touch it. If you made a mistake with your xmember bolts, then odds are you made simliar mistakes elsewhere, and heaven help you if there happens to be a minivan full of kids in the wrong place at the wrong time if something else on your car snaps/breaks/fails and you can't keep your car under control or slow it down in time to keep from hitting them.

Self-preservation is fine and dandy as long as you are not knowingly putting other peoples' lives at risk simply by 'getting on about your day'
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Today driving a new Infiiniti 2009, a guy almost slammed into me when I ran a stop sign in a condo roadway, I was day dreaming again about some fine *** girl.

When I drive though, you can be assured that i'm always in control, and I do obey the road, as it's important to follow rules and regulations, for appearance purposes
Originally Posted by Reizy
What?
Seriously....
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 AM
STFU n00b!

That's enough for me. :matt93se:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM

A friend asked me the other day if I attract failure intentionally, and I said, "Indeed I do, because there is more to learn from failure than perpetual success." With this being said, count your blessings, and stray from the shadows we all cast upon ourselves. Hopefully, the girl you were thinking of would have care for you, had you been hurt, and the same should be said of those you could have hurt. One is most deserving of the life you live, especially when careless thoughts react with the Universe to create very careless situations, for it will show you of the relationship you hold with it. Use your head bro and be thankful.