3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2000, 10:23 AM

hello all. well i just bought a cute cd radio, for my car. its an aiwa 45x 4. looks cool, its blue. well anyways, the real problem. my friend is installing it, he got everything in, but the stupid speakers dont work. he tried it w/a diff speaker and the stereo works. but w/my speakers it doesnt work. i have the bose speakers. they worked before w/the old radio which was a crappy one. he's prob gonna rewire the speakers, anything else that could be done or tried before the rewires the speakers?????? also there is an extra orange wire. he says its a constant power but when its hooked up, somethings dont work ie, seatbelts and other stuff. so he just taped it and left it without hooking it up to any other wire, and everything works, but the speakers dont work. the radio is playing but no sound....any ideas? HELP!!! thanks!!!!!
Old 11-07-2000, 10:39 AM
living out of a maxima...

Check out the "replacing bose speakers" thread about halfway down the list. Bose speakers are a pain in the ***, but you or your friend should be able to manage with all that info.
Old 11-07-2000, 10:40 AM

The Bose system uses speakers with the power amps in the enclosures. You can't use a regular head unit directly. If the amps in the speakers are still good (and that would be a surprise) there are adaptors to interface the new head unit to the Bose speakers. If the amps are bad, you can't just bypass the amps, and drive the speakers from the head unit because the Bose speakers are only 1.1 ohms (driving these speakers will burn out the power amps in the new head unit. The best thing to do is replace the speakers with standard 4 ohm automotive ones. (There's another thread(s) here with the particulars of doing this. If you don't find it, write back, I did this a month ago myself.)
Old 11-07-2000, 10:20 PM
MSK

Re Bose Speakers

Originally posted by bklyngirl89
hello all. well i just bought a cute cd radio, for my car. its an aiwa 45x 4. looks cool, its blue. well anyways, the real problem. my friend is installing it, he got everything in, but the stupid speakers dont work. he tried it w/a diff speaker and the stereo works. but w/my speakers it doesnt work. i have the bose speakers. they worked before w/the old radio which was a crappy one. he's prob gonna rewire the speakers, anything else that could be done or tried before the rewires the speakers?????? also there is an extra orange wire. he says its a constant power but when its hooked up, somethings dont work ie, seatbelts and other stuff. so he just taped it and left it without hooking it up to any other wire, and everything works, but the speakers dont work. the radio is playing but no sound....any ideas? HELP!!! thanks!!!!!
I drive 90SE and recently experienced the same problem. I end up getting all four speakers and Bose head unit reparied. As I see it you have two choices. Keep the original headuint/get it fixed or replace the spekers and wiring. If your spearkers/amps are burnt then get them repaired. On another thread yesterday,I left the web address for In house Stereo Service repair shop that fixed my speakers. These guys are pretty honest and live in your neighbourhood Stautikut NY.
Good Luck
MSK

Old 11-07-2000, 10:26 PM

Just have him rewire the speakers to the new head unit. This will take care of your problem, and if you decide to get aftermarket speakers the wires will already be run. It's not all that hard to do, and it's cheaper than buying that adapter.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-08-2000, 08:45 PM

problem solved

he just rewired everything, only took about an hour, he hid the wire somewhere, got new speakers too, the ones in there were shot, werent bose, has the bose speaker cover. just need to get ones for the front. Thanks for ur input!!!
Old 11-09-2000, 06:32 PM
Trickin-It

Well... Mine also has the bose speakers. The bose speakers do have a built in amp, but they will still work. The amps on the speakers work like any other amp, they have to be grounded. The factory wiring has a groundwire with the speaker wires. You cant use an adapter you have to hard-wire your radio in.