3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

FREE stock SE fog light modification..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 11:17 AM

FREE stock SE fog light modification..

Tired of not being abel to see that well with stock lighting, WEll I'd suggest getting HELLA 550 "fog" lights. If then $70.00 is not in your budget right now then try this....

FREE:
there is a metal refractor inside your stock fog light. this metal refractor is spot welded on either dies of the inside of your fog light. I was so tired of the little light they put out i decided to basically tear that metal thing out! It was easy as eating pie. you'll need a good pair of needle nose pliars and patience. I did not damage anthing at all in oding this. I just stuck the needle nose pliars in there, grabbed hold, and twisted untill I broke the spot welds and pulled the metal refractor out. nice and easy.

Have fun seeing much better after you do this.
ENJOY, God Bless.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:57 PM

fog light mod

Besides giving you more light output, that little mod will also cause you to blind every oncoming driver. You could have achieved the same enhanced light output effect by just driving with your high beams on all the time. Thet little bracket is what gave your fog lights that distinct cutoff of the light pattern. It was there for a reason.

Not good.

John
Old 12-08-2001, 06:16 PM

Re: fog light mod

Originally posted by John van de Pol
Besides giving you more light output, that little mod will also cause you to blind every oncoming driver. You could have achieved the same enhanced light output effect by just driving with your high beams on all the time. Thet little bracket is what gave your fog lights that distinct cutoff of the light pattern. It was there for a reason.

Not good.

John
Not true "glass half empty", I drove around like this for 2 years, just recently did I decide to tell some one. Never once did I get flashed, and beleive you me, San Antonio is a driver friendly city, so they would let you know ASAP if they had a problem with your lamps.
This city waves as you pass and will get over out of the fast lane if you so desire. Very driver friendly.

Also when I switched to my HELLA 550 driving lamps, and even aimed them down a half foot below (@30feet) where the stock setting was for the stock fogs; then I got flased pretty regularly. Due to the larger and clear lens of the HELLAs I suppose.

This is the part that is a tad frustrating about the internet, having to validate every modifications to nay sayers. I typically run into hard heads, but not this stubborn.

I would not post a driver/passenger hazardous modification, and most all the regulars would not either. Please don't be offended by my response, just needed to set the record straight. OH BTW.. if you think this is a new idea, check in with the Z32 guys out there. plent of them perform the neccessary modification to the fog lights. NISSAN di not make great lenses, FACT, not fiction.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: fog light mod

Originally posted by Mr. Rose
....beleive you me, San Antonio is a driver friendly city, so they would let you know ASAP if they had a problem with your lamps.
This city waves as you pass and will get over out of the fast lane if you so desire. Very driver friendly.
Woah, NUTCHOS man. That indeed is a rare and precious thing nowadays - driver courtesy.
Old 12-09-2001, 06:15 PM

I had to replace both bulbs and lenses in my foglights when I first got my car, and they were always very bright. I just recently fixed the wiring problem in my other Max and it definitely has dimmer fogs, probably a combination of old bulbs and even older lenses.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:54 PM

NISSAN did not make great lenses, FACT, not fiction.
couldn't have said it better myself man.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Shep
I had to replace both bulbs and lenses in my foglights when I first got my car, and they were always very bright. I just recently fixed the wiring problem in my other Max and it definitely has dimmer fogs, probably a combination of old bulbs and even older lenses.
Not a bad idea once the bulb is out, to use some electrical cleaner spray, and clean out the inside of the foglight housing. The chrome tarnishes with age, thus reducing ambient light output. Also my fog light lenses were very pitted from road debris. Just old, time to replace.
Thakns for the reply
Old 12-10-2001, 09:45 PM

Mr. Rose:

I would not suggest at all that you would puposefully post hazardous modifications. The fact that people don't flash you is not a true indicator (though it helps) You may have been saved by the fact that the lenses are of inferior design compared to a Marshall or Hella. Our lousy 9004 headlight lenses confirm that poor design.

Your experience with your Hella, however, confirms my point because you mention it was a driving light. If you look at a properly functioning fog light, or at an H4 low beam, you will see that only the UPPER part of the relector is lit up. Because it is parabolic, light goes up and reflects DOWN. That's why you get those nice clear demarkation of light / dark in the beam pattern. The high beam also iluminates the bottom half of the reflector, allowing light to stray out ABOVE the horizontal plane. Now in order to "force" all light below the horizontal plane, you would have to aim a high beam or driving light WAY down, as you did with your Hellas. Because the oem fogs don't work that well they blind less, but they still stray light where there should be none once you remove the metal insert. It does not take a full focused beam to be blinded in the dark. If only 10% of light output escapes above the horizontal plane, it will be blinding to oncomers.

I'll admit, I have not driven past your car. If you park your car in the dark with lights on (engine running, light are brighter with 14.4 volts), and drive by in an other car, you can see if your lights are blinding or not. Be also aware that if you are in your 20s you can stand a lot more visual abuse that someone in their 50s or 60s, So for a proper eval, take a friendly neighbor in his 50s or better along.

In conclusion, my post was not an assault on your post. I have read many of your posts, and they have predominantly been sharing and insightful. I think with the fog lights your advise was off, my view is just a contrast. It's a free country people can pretty much do what they want. It's always good to make an informed choice.

Good luck to all,

John
Old 12-12-2001, 11:12 PM

The San Antonio guys should meet up some time and just get to see each other, i never knew there were that many other .org people in SA, I'm on the NW side, what about you?
Old 12-13-2001, 05:07 PM

HAHA! Note Taken. Just for everyone to know, I only use my driving HELLAs in the rural country side, and they are pointed down. These HELLA fogs are great though. To look at the lens directly is not abusive to "my" eyes, HELLA did a great job molding the glass to burst side to side; hard to describe. Any way nothing stock in lighting on a 3RD gen MAXIMA is of any use anyway. ELIPSOIDS next.

Originally posted by John van de Pol
Mr. Rose:

I would not suggest at all that you would puposefully post hazardous modifications. The fact that people don't flash you is not a true indicator (though it helps) You may have been saved by the fact that the lenses are of inferior design compared to a Marshall or Hella. Our lousy 9004 headlight lenses confirm that poor design.

Your experience with your Hella, however, confirms my point because you mention it was a driving light. If you look at a properly functioning fog light, or at an H4 low beam, you will see that only the UPPER part of the relector is lit up. Because it is parabolic, light goes up and reflects DOWN. That's why you get those nice clear demarkation of light / dark in the beam pattern. The high beam also iluminates the bottom half of the reflector, allowing light to stray out ABOVE the horizontal plane. Now in order to "force" all light below the horizontal plane, you would have to aim a high beam or driving light WAY down, as you did with your Hellas. Because the oem fogs don't work that well they blind less, but they still stray light where there should be none once you remove the metal insert. It does not take a full focused beam to be blinded in the dark. If only 10% of light output escapes above the horizontal plane, it will be blinding to oncomers.

I'll admit, I have not driven past your car. If you park your car in the dark with lights on (engine running, light are brighter with 14.4 volts), and drive by in an other car, you can see if your lights are blinding or not. Be also aware that if you are in your 20s you can stand a lot more visual abuse that someone in their 50s or 60s, So for a proper eval, take a friendly neighbor in his 50s or better along.

In conclusion, my post was not an assault on your post. I have read many of your posts, and they have predominantly been sharing and insightful. I think with the fog lights your advise was off, my view is just a contrast. It's a free country people can pretty much do what they want. It's always good to make an informed choice.

Good luck to all,

John
Old 12-13-2001, 05:23 PM

HAHA! Note Taken. Just for everyone to know, I only use my driving HELLAs in the rural country side, and they are pointed down. These HELLA fogs are great though. To look at the lens directly is not abusive to "my" eyes, HELLA did a great job molding the glass to burst side to side; hard to describe. Any way nothing stock in lighting on a 3RD gen MAXIMA is of any use anyway. ELIPSOIDS next.

If you haven't rewired your corners to make them always bright, I would suggest doing so. The difference between my one max with old fogs and no rewire, and my other with new fog lenses (from Courtesy) and the rewired corners is like night and day. I actually have a hard time seeing with my one max, especially when there is oncoming traffic. The fog lenses are perfect, everything is lit up except for a small section right directly in front of me, where the oncoming cars are at. The corners really open up the peripheral vision at night too.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:30 AM

Not true "glass half empty", I drove around like this for 2 years, just recently did I decide to tell some one. Never once did I get flashed, and beleive you me, San Antonio is a driver friendly city, so they would let you know ASAP if they had a problem with your lamps.

Also when I switched to my HELLA 550 driving lamps, and even aimed them down a half foot below (@30feet) where the stock setting was for the stock fogs; then I got flased pretty regularly. Due to the larger and clear lens of the HELLAs I suppose.

This is the part that is a tad frustrating about the internet, having to validate every modifications to nay sayers. I typically run into hard heads, but not this stubborn.

I would not post a driver/passenger hazardous modification, and most all the regulars would not either. Please don't be offended by my response, just needed to set the record straight. OH BTW.. if you think this is a new idea, check in with the Z32 guys out there. plent of them perform the neccessary modification to the fog lights. NISSAN di not make great lenses, FACT, not fiction.
I dunno about other drivers actually knowing if you have the "high beam fog lights" on because I get hella blind all the time by standard night lights. With those super whites, SUV's, trucks. They're so bright!

and I honstly can't tell if it's highbeams or whatnot. But then again I just got my licence not too long ago.