3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Driver side Axle removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Driver side Axle removal?

I have read the threads on axle removal, but no one seems to give a good detailed desription of the easiest way to remove the driver side cv joint. I tried removing mine today to replace it and my leaking axle seal, but got nowhere! It seems to be the wrong axle the guy at the shop installed on my car that is making all that noise I have been hearing lately since the tranny was intalled. I took a look at the old one I had on there before, and it has teeth on the end because my car is a 93 with anti-lock brakes. the axle that is on there now has no teeth at the end, and it has 3 boots on it. two boots on each end and a small boot in the middle, and it is definetaly different from the original one that was in there before, I dont know if this would cause any issues. But I tried pulling it out, but got nowhere. I tried to use my long screw driver, but the space is so small I couldnt get it to move much. I just undid the strut screws, and pulled the axle out from the hub, but it wouldnt budge out of the tranny! So I just put it back togather, and now the noise seems louder than before and it seems as if the axle is not pushed all the way in or something. I got tired and am just going to take it to a shop in the morning and let them deal with it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

pry it out with a big screwdriver.. you might need to wedge something under the screwdriver shaft for leverage. usually the VG cars' axles come out pretty easy.. it's the VLSD trannies on the 92-94 SE that usually puts up a fuss.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

^^ agreed.

as to the new sound, you are right. it wasn't pushed in all the way.
Don't bother with a shop, you already have the parts, right? you already know how to do it, it's just being a bigger ***** than you expected. it'll come out for you, I promise.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
^^ agreed.

as to the new sound, you are right. it wasn't pushed in all the way.
Don't bother with a shop, you already have the parts, right? you already know how to do it, it's just being a bigger ***** than you expected. it'll come out for you, I promise.

LOL thanks I will try at it again Saturday morning and see if my luck changes, this time I will unbolt the three ball joint screws.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

taking the balljoint loose isn't necessary; i have removed driver side axles many times without detaching the balljoint. just gotta crawl up under the tranny with a pry bar of some sort to get a good angle on it.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 AM

I just yanked my old one out. I almost fell on my butt but I got it out.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by maximo018
I just yanked my old one out. I almost fell on my butt but I got it out.
then you did it right.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
taking the balljoint loose isn't necessary; i have removed driver side axles many times without detaching the balljoint. just gotta crawl up under the tranny with a pry bar of some sort to get a good angle on it.
Well thats good to know, taking that balljoint off of the control arm is a B**** to put back togather! Yesterday when I was trying to get the axle out I only removed the strut bolts and the brake hose bolts. Hopefully I will try again tomarro morning. Someone menchend that they yanked it out, but did you remove the 3 ball joint screws? I was trying to pull mine out, but it would not budge, and I was afraid that if I pulled it too hard that I would damage something inside the tranny or something. Someone also said to wedge something at the shaft of the screw driver, but what can you wedge inside that small space?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I have done it both ways, pulling the two bolts, and undoing the three nuts. I personally prefer the three nuts, as it doesn't screw my alignment as bad.

I used a cheap flat head screw driver, jammed it up in there, and pried it out. you won't damage anything inside the trans by jerking it out, either. I just didn't want to fall on my butt (like i did the time before).
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I have done it both ways, pulling the two bolts, and undoing the three nuts. I personally prefer the three nuts, as it doesn't screw my alignment as bad.

I used a cheap flat head screw driver, jammed it up in there, and pried it out. you won't damage anything inside the trans by jerking it out, either. I just didn't want to fall on my butt (like i did the time before).
Ok great Ill let you guys know how it goes tomarro.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 PM

When it yanked it out I just took the two bolts out at the top of the knuckle where the strut connects. That way it hangs down out of the way. Pull a lil here and there along with a few taps from my rubber mallet and viola. I do less yanking my bottom end doesn't like the floor to much.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Well I tried to get that darn axle out this morning with no luck! It came out alright! ( In 2 pieces!) One peice at the end of the axle closest to the tranny was still inside the tranny. Pretty much the boot tore and it went in 2 peices, now Im trying to yank or pry out the remaining peice with no progress watsoever. Im using screwdrivers, and hammers. I dont know what else to do! But go to a parts store and see if there is something there that can help me with this.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Well I finially got that sucker to come out with my screw driver.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM

yay.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM

LOL Yeah I got it out after fighting with it for nearly 3 hours! I now know how to remove the driver side axle! I put the old seal back on because it looked good. I bought one from the dealer new, but it didnt seem to fit, and it also did look the same as the other one, I just put it all back togather and no more leaks!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxinout93
LOL Yeah I got it out after fighting with it for nearly 3 hours! I now know how to remove the driver side axle! I put the old seal back on because it looked good. I bought one from the dealer new, but it didnt seem to fit, and it also did look the same as the other one, I just put it all back togather and no more leaks!
new seal didn't fit? you got a pic of it?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM

new seal didn't fit? you got a pic of it?
Well I was gonna ask what is the best way to install the new seal, I put it up aginst the seal bore or hole, and it wouldnt stay. To keep from possibly damaging the new seal, I just installed the old one, until I could find something to aid me with putting it in correctly. Anyone have any suggestions. I tried parts stores, but they say they dont carry a seal installer. Ive got a seal puller, but not anything to install it.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well I was gonna ask what is the best way to install the new seal, I put it up aginst the seal bore or hole, and it wouldnt stay. To keep from possibly damaging the new seal, I just installed the old one, until I could find something to aid me with putting it in correctly. Anyone have any suggestions. I tried parts stores, but they say they dont carry a seal installer. Ive got a seal puller, but not anything to install it.
wait so the old seal just came out when you pulled the axle? it's supposed to have to be pried out... or do you mean you just reinstalled the axle with the old seal but never actually removed the old seal?

anyways.. it's supposed to be a tight fit when you put a new one in. it would take a really big socket (1.5" or so) to straddle the whole seal, which i don't have. so what i usually have done is to use a 17mm or so socket to tap the outer ring of the seal into the tranny case, moving the stocket around to work the seal in evenly. the outside of the seal is pretty durable as long as you use a decently big (17mm or so) socket to spread the force out over a larger area. so just tap the thing in 1mm at a time, moving the socket around the edge as you go, until it sits flush (the socket method should sit it dead flush since the socket will overlap between the seal and case)
Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 PM

wait so the old seal just came out when you pulled the axle? it's supposed to have to be pried out... or do you mean you just reinstalled the axle with the old seal but never actually removed the old seal?

anyways.. it's supposed to be a tight fit when you put a new one in. it would take a really big socket (1.5" or so) to straddle the whole seal, which i don't have. so what i usually have done is to use a 17mm or so socket to tap the outer ring of the seal into the tranny case, moving the stocket around to work the seal in evenly. the outside of the seal is pretty durable as long as you use a decently big (17mm or so) socket to spread the force out over a larger area. so just tap the thing in 1mm at a time, moving the socket around the edge as you go, until it sits flush (the socket method should sit it dead flush since the socket will overlap between the seal and case)
NAH i once I got the axle out, I pulled the old seal out. Then I tried to put the new seal in, But I couldnt get it to fit properly the way I was doing it, So I just reinstalled the old seal and put it all back togather.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 PM

I just tapped around the edges with my rubber mallet.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 PM

NAH i once I got the axle out, I pulled the old seal out. Then I tried to put the new seal in, But I couldnt get it to fit properly the way I was doing it, So I just reinstalled the old seal and put it all back togather.
If it doesn't fir then it might be the wrong one. Idk something about human-beings. They look you in the face when there talking to them and they respond. Even sometimes repeat what you told them, but doesn't always register up there. Info somehow from when you told them to them either writing it down or ordering gets changed. You said 93 axle seal and they order 97. Good way to tell is if they come back and ask you 97 maxima right?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
If it doesn't fir then it might be the wrong one. Idk something about human-beings. They look you in the face when there talking to them and they respond. Even sometimes repeat what you told them, but doesn't always register up there. Info somehow from when you told them to them either writing it down or ordering gets changed. You said 93 axle seal and they order 97. Good way to tell is if they come back and ask you 97 maxima right?
You are right! I went to the dealer and asked for a transmission seal for a 93 maxima. They did not ask me what engine Or transmission I had? only thing they asked was if it was automatic. So When I called them back to see if they gave me the wrong seal. The guy goes: its the right seal, then I said are you sure, because the maxima has more than one transmission in that year. I am going to take the seal back and see if they have another one, and compare the 2. The new one looks alot bigger than the two I have in the trunk from the old tranny.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

You are right! I went to the dealer and asked for a transmission seal for a 93 maxima. They did not ask me what engine Or transmission I had? only thing they asked was if it was automatic. So When I called them back to see if they gave me the wrong seal. The guy goes: its the right seal, then I said are you sure, because the maxima has more than one transmission in that year. I am going to take the seal back and see if they have another one, and compare the 2. The new one looks alot bigger than the two I have in the trunk from the old tranny.
for 92-94, there are 2 auto trannies... GXE (VG) had the re4f02a, SE (VE) had the re4f04v. that probably would not have happened if your car was a 89-91, since the VE had not been released yet.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 AM

I would have got it from Oreilly's. But then again its cheaper through Courtesy. Thats where I got both of mine.