3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intake fixes, boost power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 08:08 AM

Intake fixes, boost power?

Been looking at Pohjola's site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/2

He claims 0-60 in 6 second with only modifying the air intake as described in the link above.
And without any other modifications
Old stock exhaust with original CAT, engine is now 95k miles, "straight from factory" = no mech modding. Chassis is heavier than stock plus all my gear in .
This for real?

I get like 10s 0-60 stock, cutting of 4 sec with just modifying the intake sounds too good to be true..
I know the VG30 is good for quite some power, but not that easy..
Old 04-12-2010 | 08:18 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

having done the mods on his page (minus the resonator removal), I would say you should be able to see some improvement. what it does is convert the stock intake tubes into a poor mans warm air intake. you won't see 4 seconds cut off the 0-60 time, but it should help.
Old 04-12-2010 | 10:51 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

lol, I'd really like to see his 13 second N/A VG with just his "filterbox" mods..
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:40 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Just FYI: His user name is Wiking on here. haven't seen him post on here in ages.
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jvc1986

He claims 0-60 in 6 second with only modifying the air intake as described in the link above.

This for real?

I get like 10s 0-60 stock, cutting of 4 sec with just modifying the intake sounds too good to be true..
I know the VG30 is good for quite some power, but not that easy..
meh, the VG30E isn't the gem everyone seems to fool theirselves into thinking it is. all the normal bolt-on mods will give you, at best, 25hp extra (still less total HP than a stock VE or VQ30), most of that being the warpspeed ypipe. JWT or Nistune ECUs will give you a much bigger gain than any possible intake modification. but if you really want power out of a VG, you either have to bump the compression up and go for big cams, or turbo it. Otherwise 4th gens will continue to eat your for lunch in a straight line. And 5th gens won't even be bothered to waste their time with you.

as for the cardomain... he might be running smaller tires or something that make the speedo register 60mph when he's actually going slower, while at the same time getting better acceleration out of the smaller tires (gearing advantage). That or he's got nitrous on it and not telling anyone... even Aaron93se's VERY meticulously prepared VE with slicks and stripped out interior couldn't go but 13.9 n/a.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-12-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2010 | 08:49 PM

I don't find a 6 sec 0-60 VG30E unbelieveable....this is a really good accelerating car and pulls really hard even from 60-85 mph or 60-100 mph...I'm impressed with the VG30E's performance and Pohjola's Cardomain site and depth....
Old 04-15-2010 | 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by jvc1986

This for real?
I get like 10s 0-60 stock,

Anyone know the factory tested 0-60 times?and etc.?
Old 04-15-2010 | 04:10 AM

I've done that mod recently, haven't seen any performance increase. IMO it sounds better but that's about it.
Old 04-15-2010 | 11:57 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
I don't find a 6 sec 0-60 VG30E unbelieveable....this is a really good accelerating car and pulls really hard even from 60-85 mph or 60-100 mph...I'm impressed with the VG30E's performance and Pohjola's Cardomain site and depth....
um... stock VG auto is 9.8 seconds. cutting a little bit of casting imperfections out of a plastic pipe and minor port-matching to give you 3.8 seconds? no way in hell. especially considering you can replace the whole intake with a full metal-pipe CAI and not get that. it would take a huge increase in power to go from 9.8 sec to 6.0 sec... and to go from 16.5sec in a quarter mile to 13.

You are GROSSLY over-estimating the power potential an N/A VG30E with stock pistons, cams, heads, etc. The 3rd gen quick for a 20+ year old sedan. But this is 2010, not 1990. Quick these days is a 5.5 gen 6spd or a Camry V6 or an Acura TL... all of which have over 250HP out of the factory. Even with every bolt on you can get and Nistune, you can't get that much out of an internally-stock VG30E. And honestly even if you could get your quarter mile time to, say, 15.5sec.. that still isn't very quick. camry does it in 14.5... TL in 14.1

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-15-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2010 | 03:30 PM

I agree with caped, there's a reason Z guys 95% of the time convert to turbos instead of building their NA's. The exception is 1 man who has sunk WAY more money into his engine than most anybody, and this is with forged internals, different cams, basically all the internal stuff this guy claims is stock, and he produces just under 250HP. Don't have quarter mile times to go with that engine because he doesn't drag the car he auto-x and road rally's the car. DOHC will produce more, but still, the DOHC heads won't bolt to SOHC block. Not to mention intake isn't going to make that much more HP, hell half the time you loose throttle response in trying to make an intake get more air. Is it worth modifying? well that depends on your use, just like every modification. If you want more power, a gutted intake is not a bad way to go but you will loose responsiveness because it will flow like crap. Some cylinders get more some get less so it just won't be the best option. If you want responsive stick with stock. If you have to have both more power and keep responsive, be prepared to shell out cash, either bring it to a maching shop that can try to increase flow, or make one from scratch while understanding fully how air flows and what will suck air in aswell as when will send it the exact direction you want. Still I don't see more than a 20% gain with nothing bu intake upgraded, the engine can still only hold so much air at one time, so in order for more power it needs to release more air as quickly as it gets it, not to mention to maintain a good fuel/air ration the fuel system will need to be upgraded to bring more fuel into the system as well, and you'll likely need more compression ratio to to make any of that even worth while.
Old 04-15-2010 | 03:43 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
I agree with caped, there's a reason Z guys 95% of the time convert to turbos instead of building their NA's. The exception is 1 man who has sunk WAY more money into his engine than most anybody, and this is with forged internals, different cams, basically all the internal stuff this guy claims is stock, and he produces just under 250HP. Don't have quarter mile times to go with that engine because he doesn't drag the car he auto-x and road rally's the car. DOHC will produce more, but still, the DOHC heads won't bolt to SOHC block. Not to mention intake isn't going to make that much more HP, hell half the time you loose throttle response in trying to make an intake get more air. Is it worth modifying? well that depends on your use, just like every modification. If you want more power, a gutted intake is not a bad way to go but you will loose responsiveness because it will flow like crap. Some cylinders get more some get less so it just won't be the best option. If you want responsive stick with stock. If you have to have both more power and keep responsive, be prepared to shell out cash, either bring it to a maching shop that can try to increase flow, or make one from scratch while understanding fully how air flows and what will suck air in aswell as when will send it the exact direction you want. Still I don't see more than a 20% gain with nothing bu intake upgraded, the engine can still only hold so much air at one time, so in order for more power it needs to release more air as quickly as it gets it, not to mention to maintain a good fuel/air ration the fuel system will need to be upgraded to bring more fuel into the system as well, and you'll likely need more compression ratio to to make any of that even worth while.
heh that's a good point.. i wonder what the BHP limit would be for stock 180cc injectors at 43psi (stock pressure). I know you can get slightly more hp/cc in n/a than you can turbo or s/c... but still.. 250hp is alot to ask out of 6 180cc injectors. even the 205hp vg30et used 260cc's... and so did the VE.

keep in mind also that the 6th gen 6spd does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds... so wiking is claiming to be faster than that. Faster than a turbo Z31 too, at 7.1 sec and is ~200lb lighter. So basically he's saying his swiss-cheese airbox makes MORE power than a T25 or T3 turbocharger on the same engine.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2010 | 09:32 PM

Ok....I still liked his cardomain page and the depth of his knowledge in this car, as well as how you did GROSSLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty cool dude....................

Last edited by CMax03; 04-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2010 | 01:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Ok....I still liked his cardomain page and the depth of his knowledge in this car, as well as how you did GROSSLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty cool dude....................
um... thanks?
Old 04-16-2010 | 01:16 PM

I thought we decided either he's lying or doesn't have any depth of knowledge on the car. I'd be willing to bet his times and estimate are based on counting out feeling like more power. Like those guys in youtube videos riding alongside in a car saying, this feels like it's got 450HP, next thing you know 450HP is the claim. like this Although Owner of the car never made the claim of 450HP, he rather joked about it as he's quite the knowledgeable guy when it comes to VG's.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:33 PM
Banned

I thought we decided either he's lying or doesn't have any depth of knowledge on the car. I'd be willing to bet his times and estimate are based on counting out feeling like more power. Like those guys in youtube videos riding alongside in a car saying, this feels like it's got 450HP, next thing you know 450HP is the claim. like this Although Owner of the car never made the claim of 450HP, he rather joked about it as he's quite the knowledgeable guy when it comes to VG's.
i thought the guy knew his **** about all the little things related to the intake.. i didnt look very deep but i can tell that he can eather bull**** real well or he actually knows **** about the vg.. matter of fact maybe tomorrow before i wash my car i might clean that IACV control valve thing.. i was thinking about cleaning the EGR valve and all that **** but i dont feel like taking my upper intake manifold apart.. wwwwaaayyy too many vacuum hoses to **** with.. lol.
anyways.. i feel like the guy know his ****

oh and btw. it says on the cardomain page that he has 270hp!!
wtf. lol
thats like a 90 hp increase.. hahaha. thats bs!
Old 04-16-2010 | 08:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

like i said, he could just be running really small OD tires for the video. it will make the car faster through gearing advantage, and at the same time the speedo will read high. so 60 on his speedo might really be 50mph, but at the same time he'd hit a true 50mph faster than he would on stock 25.5" tires as well. or speeding the video up. or going down a really steep hill.
Old 04-17-2010 | 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
lol, I'd really like to see his 13 second N/A VG with just his "filterbox" mods..
haaaaa...yeah let me see that
Old 04-17-2010 | 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
i thought the guy knew his **** about all the little things related to the intake.. i didnt look very deep but i can tell that he can eather bull**** real well or he actually knows **** about the vg.. matter of fact maybe tomorrow before i wash my car i might clean that IACV control valve thing.. i was thinking about cleaning the EGR valve and all that **** but i dont feel like taking my upper intake manifold apart.. wwwwaaayyy too many vacuum hoses to **** with.. lol.
anyways.. i feel like the guy know his ****

oh and btw. it says on the cardomain page that he has 270hp!!
wtf. lol
thats like a 90 hp increase.. hahaha. thats bs!
Ok so he's really not that good with BS either, lets face it he has #'s with nothing to prove where the numbers came from, if I said the stock intake manifold could be increased air flow by 13% simply by adding an adapter and a larger throttle body does that mean it's true? No I just made up random figures and % to look like there's something backing it. No flow tests showing the reality of increase of decrease, so where are these numbers coming from? Hell half of the gutted intakes use incorrect #'s because the flow tests are being tested on 1 chamber leading to 1 cylinder, so while that 1 cylinder might gain more or less than a non gutted it doesn't account for the overall, and in many gutted intakes only 2 cylinders really gain anything while the other 4 are starved of air. Not as much the case with the dual log style but in general that's how it works. I'd like to see actual flow tests that support his claims not just him stating 17% here and 10% there. Point being, don't believe everything that you read, learn how things are tested and how to prove claims. I've seen HP/dyno charts alters with even MS paint to show a car having 25000 HP not the 250 it had. Caped is right about lower diameter wheels will both increase acceleration in general, have reduced rotaional weight therefor also allowing faster acceleration, and read incorrect on the spedometer. Still to believe that car is doing what he claims on simply intake mods he's full of S***! and again to modify the intake you will have backed up the airflow in the engine, so gaining no additional air if you don't increase the output, AKA exhaust, and a way to flow through every step faster. I've seen cars with intakes and no exhaust bog down from that problem. I doubt many of his claims based on lack of real evidence. Not saying some things he does couldn't help some, but not to the extremes he's talking about. That being said I have seen some beastly VG's in my time, so yes they can be great, without that much, but not from that. How is swiss cheese air filter box better than a cone filter I wonder? Oh that's right, it's not!
Old 04-17-2010 | 08:06 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Actually, Wiking is generally a really intelligent guy and knows a ton about the 3rd gen, so not sure what to make of his wrong thinking in terms of mods/speed

Richard.. dude.. your posts are well-written, but c'mon, paragraph breaks are your friend
Old 04-17-2010 | 12:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Actually, Wiking is generally a really intelligent guy and knows a ton about the 3rd gen, so not sure what to make of his wrong thinking in terms of mods/speed

Richard.. dude.. your posts are well-written, but c'mon, paragraph breaks are your friend
yeah i don't doubt his knowledge about every OTHER part of the car, like sensors, wiring, brakes, etc... and that big bucket of his might help part of the power band a little bit, just not like he says.
Old 04-17-2010 | 01:57 PM

LOL, I went to public school in east bum F***, what's a paragraph break? Yes sorry about that, sometimes I rant and forget to add them, will try to keep some composure and remember to add them.
Old 04-17-2010 | 02:10 PM

Why are you even discussing this?
Old 04-17-2010 | 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Teslette
Why are you even discussing this?
Why are we discussing in intake on a VG? Because the claim was made and and another member has asked if he does these mods will he see similar results. We, being the helpful forum we are chimed in. It is a forum after all and what we do is discuss things.
Did you genuinely have a question or was that a general post so you can get to your 15 posts to be bale to start a new subject? If you did have a question try not to be quite so vague because otherwise no one can give you a proper response.

How did ya like that paragraph break!!!!
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:20 PM

Haha, no seriously. I just mean that the answer to his opening post would be:

"No, that is not possible. Intake fixes might add xx hp, to make a 6s VG would at least need you to have xx hp. This guy is talking bull. Thread closed."

You're ending up discussing whatever possible ways to reach a 6s Maxima, having proof for your hp, harassments and all kinds of cr*p.
And if this dude want's other people do believe his car makes 0-60 in 6 sec, so be it. There is no specs-controlling authority at cardomain.com.
My last point, maybe he's European and thinks it's supposed to be 0-60km/h. Haha, then 6 sec would be a good guess.

Alright, don't get mad at me, please ignore and continue your debate.

-Tor Erik, actually a real viking.
Old 04-17-2010 | 04:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

My last point, maybe he's European and thinks it's supposed to be 0-60km/h. Haha, then 6 sec would be a good guess.
nah i saw his video.. it ran through all of first, and most of 2nd. 60kph would barely even top out 1st gear on the automatic. so it's definitely a speedometer-indicated 60mph (100kph)
Old 04-17-2010 | 06:24 PM

Haha, no seriously. I just mean that the answer to his opening post would be:

"No, that is not possible. Intake fixes might add xx hp, to make a 6s VG would at least need you to have xx hp. This guy is talking bull. Thread closed."

You're ending up discussing whatever possible ways to reach a 6s Maxima, having proof for your hp, harassments and all kinds of cr*p.
And if this dude want's other people do believe his car makes 0-60 in 6 sec, so be it. There is no specs-controlling authority at cardomain.com.

Alright, don't get mad at me, please ignore and continue your debate.

-Tor Erik, actually a real viking.
True, it is as simple as NO it's BS, but that would save WAY too much time, and the ever lasting debate over who is right, and most importantly we'd have to cancel the pissing contest!
Old 04-18-2010 | 01:23 AM

Yall decided that he's full of poop! I could care less, it's really got alot of good info regarding the VG....I own that to him, and that vacuum hose schematic/diagram in which I found on his cardomain page for clearing the cobbwebs of exactly where majority of the vacuum hoses went during my reassembly of my 3rd gen...you can't believe everything you read! My Gtech measured 0-60 mph in 6.3 sec.......which dam good for a 4dsc....

2003 Nissan Maxima A/T this is!!!!!

Last edited by CMax03; 04-18-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2010 | 02:13 AM

Yall decided that he's full of poop! I could care less, it's really got alot of good info regarding the VG....I own that to him, and that vacuum hose schematic/diagram in which I found on his cardomain page for clearing the cobbwebs of exactly where majority of the vacuum hoses went during my reassembly of my 3rd gen...you can't believe everything you read! My Gtech measured 0-60 mph in 6.3 sec.......which dam good for a 4dsc....

Never said that nothing on his site was useful, just that the claims were BS. I understand why he did most the things he did, but lets think about this, by the time you cut a swiss cheese airbox, you will have allowed more air into the stock filter and though the intake, congrats.
But most people will not want to use the airbox they have, they'd go buy one at a junkyard to do this rather than F up what they've got. So you are spending money, time, all to draw in warm engine bay air, which is already expanded. You could spend that money and time setting up a cone filter, which in the same location would allow more warm/expanded air into the engine.
Or, spend a little bit extra, do it right, and send the same amount or air in that a cone filter allows, but cold so it's compressed further. That way once it heats up in the engine it will expand to larger amounts of air than warm air, and thus more power. Not to mention your girlfriend will give you more BJ's because you have an ultra cool cold air intake system!
Anyway, back on topic, I say use any info you can find, but understand that claims are often NOT what they claim. I've used post from people I didn't agree with on things, simply because the detail of pictures were great for finding what I was looking for. Just because part of it can be useful to you in some way doesn't mean the whole thing becomes truth. I'm not trying to bash him even, haven't said anything negative about him that I recall, I simply said it's BS and this is why. I applaude anyone who takes the time to do writeups, I've done a few and they are time consuming, but why can't we leave what he has as a writeup to do what he has done and take the claims as nothing more than a outright claim?
Alright, done my rant for tonight, time for bed!
Old 04-18-2010 | 09:47 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well your engine has internal modifications.. different pistons, cams, porting, etc, and a JWT on top of that. i would expect yours to put down a good amount of power compared to a stock VG.
Old 04-18-2010 | 06:40 PM

@OP

It looks like the guy took out the 'metallic cone' that I believe acts as a velocity stack(right before the maf).

annnnnd, haven't velocity stacks on turbos/intakes been proven to create horsepower? why would he remove that if he wants more HP out of his intake..?
Old 04-18-2010 | 11:48 PM

Thanks guys, now I don't have to mess with my intake
Old 04-19-2010 | 01:00 AM

I wish the air box was big enough to stuff a JWT cone filter inside it along with the POPcharger velocity stack, that would be great!
Old 04-24-2010 | 11:47 AM

I know topic might be kinda dead issue but the swiss cheese lookin' air box
effect he was trying to produce is basically like a cone air filter as far as I'm
concerned and would not want that ridiculous lookin' thing under the hood
of my Max and we all know that no intake mod is gonna produce hp like
the claim.
Old 04-24-2010 | 11:31 PM

like a cone filter in regards to it will allow more air into the box to begin with yes, but the stock filter still has a smaller surface area than a con filter so the cone filter can allow more air in still.
Not to mention with swiss cheese there you are collecting engine bay air which is hot, you want cold, which is why the stock air box is designed to get air from outside the car and run it in and through the air box. Might give some gain but minimal due to the engine bay air being hotter and not gaining enough air to make that change very worth while. Even a cold air intake with cone filter claims 20% on average so yes, to continue beating the dead horse, no way based on only that intake.
Old 04-25-2010 | 07:01 PM

Even a cold air intake with cone filter claims 20% on average so yes, to continue beating the dead horse, no way based on only that intake.[/quote]

I know that intake claim is dead but what if somebody was looking for a good
cone cold air intake, where might they find something for there 89' Max?
Weapon R offers an intake upgrade, any opinions on this manufactorer?
Have K&N in factory air box but lookin' for something with a little better
response time.
Old 04-25-2010 | 10:11 PM

I don't have a good reply to where to find one, but I've never been big on buying a cold air intake from a company anyway. I personally like the idea of making my own. Keep in mind less bends for better air movement and not as sharp of bends where bends are needed. Get to a place where outside air can come in to the filter, and more the better, then find a way to insulate it from the hot engine bay so it remains colder air into the intake. There are some ways of insulating the entire intake pipe from heat as well.

Start by finding where you want the air filter, and designing the pipe to it. From there look into keeping heat from getting to the air until it has entered the engine. There are more steps you can take, but that's be a good start. Oh and use a quality cone filter not a generic one, they can do more damage than good sometimes. You're probably going to want to move the MAF so you aren't running all over the engine bay to get air. I'm not as familiar with the Max setup to give a layout or pics, but I'm sure Matt, caped or some others have great examples specific to the Max.
Old 04-26-2010 | 06:27 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

found this on another board; may be helpful to somebody:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

and for lulz: the Japanese magazine version! (click the filters for more info)
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fil...t/1/index.html
Old 04-26-2010 | 12:03 PM

good read, high quality air filters are important. Keep in mine that these tests are on name brand high quality filters and still some of them had poor results, so imagine what that means a cheap ebay filter will be like.
Old 04-28-2010 | 12:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

FOR ALL YOU 3RD GENERATION MAXIMA OWNERS

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY MAKE A INTAKE FOR A 1989 MAXIMA? I HAVE FOUND SOME BUT THEY SAY IT'S FOR A THE 1992 CAN IT FIT ON MY CAR? IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP
Old 04-29-2010 | 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1989maxima
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY MAKE A INTAKE FOR A 1989 MAXIMA? I HAVE FOUND SOME BUT THEY SAY IT'S FOR A THE 1992 CAN IT FIT ON MY CAR? IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP
The reason they say 1992-1994 is because it is for the VE30DE engine where as you have the VG30 engine. They have a different intake setup so no that one will not work.

If you can find a setup on ebay for your VG30 they usually work pretty well but will require cutting. I had to cut one of the intake pipes at the weld, turn it 180 degrees(they welded the bend on backwards) and re weld it.

I also cut out the metal bracket under the headlight housing so the filter would fit down in there where the stock intake draws air from.

Big difference now that it's all done though.

Last edited by nickdoof; 05-03-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake fixes, boost power?