3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sonar Suspension II

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Sonar Suspension II

Hey what's up,

Looking to replace my Sonar Suspension on my 89' GXE. Want to replace
front/rear struts, ball joints and springs. Any suggestions on where/who to
find them? I know alot of guys go for aftermarket upgrades but this suspension is excellent and like the option to change mode when I want and
the automatic adjustments through the Sonar System. The ride is comfortable and very tight to the road and you can still install lowering springs
If I want. I found some at Aids Auto of all places but looking for better deal ($102-front/$75-rear). If any has any suggestions I'd appreciate it and anything else you might want to add to the topic of replacing suspensions, Shiloh.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 PM

You'll probably want to ditch the SS gimmick. You need to buy replacement struts from Nissan and you'll end up spending about $1,500 just on the struts. You can buy 3 sets of Konis for that price. Nuff said.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM

102 front and 75 rear doesn't sound too bad, but I generally try to stick with simple easy to find replacements. If you understand how your suspension works you can have a great handling car without sacrificing ride quality. It sounds like that is what you are worried about by switching to aftermarket. If you don't mind stock ride height get upgraded shocks/struts, OEM springs, and stiffer sway bars. It will allow your shocks/struts to push back quicker over bumps, soft enough springs to push the suspention instead of the whole car, and sway/anti roll bars to counter body roll. I know softer springs goes against what 90% of people believe but trust me, the other 10% are the ones who actually looked into it.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
102 front and 75 rear doesn't sound too bad, but I generally try to stick with simple easy to find replacements. If you understand how your suspension works you can have a great handling car without sacrificing ride quality. It sounds like that is what you are worried about by switching to aftermarket. If you don't mind stock ride height get upgraded shocks/struts, OEM springs, and stiffer sway bars. It will allow your shocks/struts to push back quicker over bumps, soft enough springs to push the suspention instead of the whole car, and sway/anti roll bars to counter body roll. I know softer springs goes against what 90% of people believe but trust me, the other 10% are the ones who actually looked into it.
You hit it on the head more or less, definately worried bout changing to much.
I was just gonna get some lowering springs, stiffer sways, strut tower braces
for front/back and new sonar struts. I know most on this site would
disagree with installing those but like you stated bout my concerns
of the ride if I go after market with the struts. I will do as much research
as possible on this topic, why wouldn't I, it's my ***** I'm working on.
Thanks for the responses, Shiloh.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 PM

dude, you can spend as much money you want....you asked for opinions and we gave it to you...now, like you said, its you ride....but i wouldn't recommend getting stock sonars if u r going to lower the car....make sure you research hard....
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
dude, you can spend as much money you want....you asked for opinions and we gave it to you...now, like you said, its you ride....but i wouldn't recommend getting stock sonars if u r going to lower the car....make sure you research hard....
I think you mis understood my response, no need to get aggressive cause I'm not here for that. I'm taking opinions well into mind before doing anything, this is why I'm asking to see if anyone has done this or been through this before. I'm thinking of just getting the koni adjustables anyway and using the sonars wouldn't work as well with lowering springs as you stated. Still appreciate your opinion and any more suggestions you might have in the future, Shiloh.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM

If you want Koni then you better move on them soon b/c I heard they stop making them for our cars.