3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Mixing Fuel injectors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Mixing Fuel injectors???

WOW I did not know that you are not supposed to mix fuel injectors! I thought that all VG injectors were compatible. I recently changed 2 of my bad injectors. It took me three tries but I got it right the last time. The first time I managed to pinch one of the lower O-rings on one of the injectors, the second time the injector was bad. I got 4 used ones from the junk yard, but only installed 2 of them, so if anything went wrong, I could pin-point which one it was. The last time I managed to tear up the upper plenum gasket into 3 peices. I went to the dealer to get a plenum gasket and some O-rings, but the gasket was out of stock, So I cleaned the injector screens and lubed and installed the O-rings with vascaline and also put some around the fuel rail, and the injector popped right in. Then I noticed that the fuel injectors I got from the Junkyard, were a different dot color. They were green and mine were yellow, so I didnt think anything of it until I put it back togather. The car started up great, except it takes a little longer sometimes to crank. But it drove great, but with less power, than it did before, so Im thinking that the different color injector is the culprit. It drives good and at times there is a noticable power loss ecpecially at high speeds. I was going down the interstate yesterday, and the car took longer than normal to get up to speed, and it would barley go past 75mph. I know its that injector, because before I changed it, the car ran great past 85mph and throughout the driveing range, even with bad rear struts and 5 people in the car. This car has great power to be so old! lol. Well I have learned my lesson. I will be replacing that injector along with my manifold gasket this week. Thanks to this site and everyone's response that I was able to change my own injectors, something I never thought I could do correctly lol.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
swr

my car is 1992 gxe 3.0 vg30e I am in the process of doing a 2 injector job too # 5 and 6 cyl are bad on mine ohmed out high out of spec like 40 - 41 ohms did you ohm your before you put them in the first time and you had a bad one ? I am trying find some cheaper too I e a junk yard no luck yet but thinking you might get one thats bad even if it ohms at specs 11- 14 ohm before u install a lot of labor and gaskets, o rings insulators good luck
Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
swr

Injectors

to maxinout93 check out the last pages of the newbie thread I have been posting about injectors and some good answers coming back about clor dots and spray patterns I am trying to learn as much as I can thanks to all the experienced maxima fans
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by swr
my car is 1992 gxe 3.0 vg30e I am in the process of doing a 2 injector job too # 5 and 6 cyl are bad on mine ohmed out high out of spec like 40 - 41 ohms did you ohm your before you put them in the first time and you had a bad one ? I am trying find some cheaper too I e a junk yard no luck yet but thinking you might get one thats bad even if it ohms at specs 11- 14 ohm before u install a lot of labor and gaskets, o rings insulators good luck
No I didnt ohm mine, I it would run great when its warm out, then at night or in cooler weather at idle it would go putt, putt. So i finially got tired of it, and when it was missing, I simply unplugged each one to see if it changed the state of the engine. On the VG engine you cant unplug the the #2 cylinders injector because of the intake manifold. Number 4 was bad on my car, and it would come on and come off at times. Now that I know you cant mix injectors on the 93 and 94s I now know what my problem is.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 AM

I've done injectors on these cars before and with a well seasoned mechanic.
You can not mix dot color injectors and I was taught that before installing anything. You can also check to see if an injector works by hooking up two wires (+/-) to your car battery to see if the injector is spraying properly, atleast thats what I've done in past. So if your going to the local junkyard to buy some used injectors you 'll know before installing them. Some junk yards will just sell the whole rail with all the injectors and some of the connector plugs.

Last edited by shiloh51933; 05-02-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
You can not mix dot color injectors and I was taught that before installing anything. You can also check to see if an injector works by hooking up two wires (+/-) to your car battery to see if the injector is spraying properly, atleast thats what I've done in past. So if your going to the local junkyard to buy some used injectors you 'll know before installing them. Some junk yards will just sell the whole rail with all the injectors and some of the connector plugs.

Im thinking of getting the whole rail myself, that way at least all of the injectors will be the same dot color, and I wont have to worry about mixing them.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Im thinking of getting the whole rail myself, that way at least all of the injectors will be the same dot color, and I wont have to worry about mixing them.
I still have a rail with like four good injectors and some connecting plugs from
an injector replacement a little while back. I bought the rail with all six but broke a little piece of the ceramic where the connector plugs in so I wouldn't use that one even the injector itself functions but who wants to worry cause of the chipped part. It would be a good idea just in case, you never know when you might need one, plus there like $$100 a piece and you can probably get the whole rail for like a $125-$150 at a junk yard.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 AM
swr

thanks Shiloh , alot of the generic injectors I have been pricing locally at auto shops do not have the dot options mine being black dots on my 92 gxe 3vg0e may try to hunt some r parts down today at junk yards and applying a 12 volt circuit to them to see if they spray sounds like a good theing before you buy , wouldnt you also need to have a presureized fuel suppply to them to see if they spray ok testing like you said ??
Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by swr
thanks Shiloh , alot of the generic injectors I have been pricing locally at auto shops do not have the dot options mine being black dots on my 92 gxe 3vg0e may try to hunt some r parts down today at junk yards and applying a 12 volt circuit to them to see if they spray sounds like a good theing before you buy , wouldnt you also need to have a presureized fuel suppply to them to see if they spray ok testing like you said ??
Yes you could hook something up or you can just watch to see if they operate by eye. I was lucky cause they were still on rail and once I got power I ran a fuel line to a gas can. You'll have to figure it out for yourself
cause I have no pictures or anything but I think you can get a picture in your mind of how it looked. I had connectors, injectors, rail, fuel lines and the harness plug that the connector wiring hooks into so it was easy to check with everything already out of car. If you check out 3rd gen classifieds on this forum someone is
selling 6 injectors for $10 it said, if your interested I would investigate to see if they match what your looking for.

Last edited by shiloh51933; 05-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Yes you could hook something up or you can just watch to see if they operate by eye. I was lucky cause they were still on rail and once I got power I ran a fuel line to a gas can. You'll have to figure it out for yourself
cause I have no pictures or anything but I think you can get a picture in your mind of how it looked. I had connectors, injectors, rail, fuel lines and the harness plug that the connector wiring hooks into so it was easy to check with everything already out of car. If you check out 3rd gen classifieds on this forum someone is
selling 6 injectors for $10 it said, if your interested I would investigate to see if they match what your looking for.
Thanks for that Info man