3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear View Camera Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Rear View Camera Question

About a year ago I've bought and installed an in-dash stereo/DVD player with double din screen. In the specs it had a lot of provisions for lots of stuff including a rear view camera. Now about a month ago I got me a cheapo licence plate-mounted camera off of eBay. I installed it, connected it to reverse gear light and the head unit. It works, but I need to select the camera from the source menu on the screen to see it. There is another wire that needs to be connected to the head unit so it would automatically switch the screen to the camera whenever the car is put into reverse. I've got an automatic, but after examining the shifter I still couln't find the right wire. Did anyone else ever install a rear view camera in their Max? Or can someone point me in the right direction as to where I could connect that wire?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Just run a wire back to the hu from the reverse light. should be sufficient for most models.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 PM

That's what I was also thinking. Just seemed a bit inefficient. I mean there already is a wire going to the reverse light from somwhere under the dash so I thought maybe if anyone knew what color it was then I can hook it up right at the origin.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Deridex
That's what I was also thinking. Just seemed a bit inefficient. I mean there already is a wire going to the reverse light from somwhere under the dash so I thought maybe if anyone knew what color it was then I can hook it up right at the origin.
initially, I thought the same thing; find the wire for the reverse sensor on the trans, tap into it, and to to the HU.
then you have to worry about fishing throuhg the firewall, then you have to worry about corrosion, then you have to worry about... etc.
just run the wire parallel with your amp wiring, or even the video would be safe for this.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
initially, I thought the same thing; find the wire for the reverse sensor on the trans, tap into it, and to to the HU.
then you have to worry about fishing throuhg the firewall, then you have to worry about corrosion, then you have to worry about... etc.
just run the wire parallel with your amp wiring, or even the video would be safe for this.
I believe you do have a point there. Guess it would be just as much work as removing the backseat and steps to route the wire under from the back.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM

I'm interested. What exactly he had to do (remove/replace) in order to do this?

Last edited by Darkwing48; 05-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:50 AM

i installed one, mines connected to the reverse light, unscrew a bit and put the wire in.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Way out West

I would never even think to put a back up camera in my Maxima. It just seems too old. Haha

good work though, guys.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 PM

There is a wire in the car that u can tap into for your headunit. In my 1999 Max it is a green with a white stripe wire. Positive polarity located at drivers door sill harness.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
I'm interested. What exactly he had to do (remove/replace) in order to do this?
Nothing special. I got one of these off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rearview-Wat...item27b1e28521. Then routed the wire through the hole used to power the licence plate illuminator lights.

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I would never even think to put a back up camera in my Maxima. It just seems too old. Haha

good work though, guys.
Well, the way I see it is I don't have the money or the need to buy a new car. Instead I'd get a new toy for it once in a while like that DVD player, GPS, rearview camera, or heating elements for the seats. Maybe a bottle of "New car scent" air freshener. That usually does the trick for me.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Nothing special. I got one of these off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rearview-Wat...item27b1e28521. Then routed the wire through the hole used to power the licence plate illuminator lights.
That's the concept. But I wonder the exact steps. As in, is the wire going through the center console? under the rug? through the back seat. I wondered what's the best way.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM

That's the concept. But I wonder the exact steps. As in, is the wire going through the center console? under the rug? through the back seat. I wondered what's the best way.
1994 Maxima
reverse light wire is red/black
location is in the harness at the drivers kick panel
polarity to check it positive +12 when you put the car in reverse.

forget about running a wire to the back. the wire is up front in the kick panel
Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM

About a year ago I've bought and installed an in-dash stereo/DVD player with double din screen. In the specs it had a lot of provisions for lots of stuff including a rear view camera. Now about a month ago I got me a cheapo licence plate-mounted camera off of eBay. I installed it, connected it to reverse gear light and the head unit. It works, but I need to select the camera from the source menu on the screen to see it. There is another wire that needs to be connected to the head unit so it would automatically switch the screen to the camera whenever the car is put into reverse. I've got an automatic, but after examining the shifter I still couln't find the right wire. Did anyone else ever install a rear view camera in their Max? Or can someone point me in the right direction as to where I could connect that wire?
1994 Maxima

Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 PM

As 99MAXSELIMITED confirmed, there is only one wire that has to be going from the camera to the headunit, and that's a single video RCA wire. It goes into the trunk through the hole for licence plate illumination wires, under trunk lining, under back seat, then under back and front door steps, and finally into the center console and HU. Power wire for the camera can be connected to the reverse light wire. That's all there is to it, simple and cheap.

Originally Posted by 99MAXSELIMITED
1994 Maxima

Yes, that's what I needed to know. Thank you, sir.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry to hear that~

I can not say 100% to solve your problem. But I can tell you this, hope can help you.
Your field of view is over 40 degrees from a standard rear view mirror, so your camera's field of view should be at least 100 degrees, to see everything that's behind you.

Make sure your monitor has an audio input, if your camera has a built-in mic.
Wireless cameras are susceptible to interference from other electronics and their circuits. Get the best system you can afford and make sure all connections are properly shielded.
good luck~~