3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Water Pump Took A Dump

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Water Pump Took A Dump

Yeah my water pump finally took a dump at 150 thousand miles. I figured it was on it's way out cause the pulley's bearing would make a rattle like sound every now and then. So I figure with the heat/heavy humidity here in N.Y. it was gonna happen. So now I'm gonna replace with a new pump/thermostat and change the belts since they gotta come off anyway. So how is changing out the pump? No gasket just ATV sealant or both? What about the timing belt and drive belt? Any suggestions, I'm more concerned with timing belt than the pump though. Anyway I'd appreciate any info/suggestions on either or both, thanks, Shiloh..
Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

rtv alone is fine

if you even have the slightest suspicion that antifreeze might have gotten on your timing belt, change it. $100 for a belt and tensioner now vs risking a $$$ and lots of downtime if the belt does snap is pretty cheap insurance.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

holy ****.. im in your sig..^
Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
holy ****.. im in your sig..^
lol
been a while since i've been in one.
that's good stuff.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
rtv alone is fine

if you even have the slightest suspicion that antifreeze might have gotten on your timing belt, change it. $100 for a belt and tensioner now vs risking a $$$ and lots of downtime if the belt does snap is pretty cheap insurance.
in addition, the t-belt comes out, anyway, so it's not extra work, aside from the purchase of a few more parts.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM

150,000 miles ya might want to take a peek at the cam seal/s. If theres oil seepage behind the cams timing pulley change the cam seals while your in there. Ya just remove the cam pulley and pry the old seal out with a seal puller. Make sure you have a strap wrench to hold back on the pulley while loosening the center nut. Cheap preventive maint. even if it's not leaking, cause it soon will.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jameez
150,000 miles ya might want to take a peek at the cam seal/s. If theres oil seepage behind the cams timing pulley change the cam seals while your in there. Ya just remove the cam pulley and pry the old seal out with a seal puller. Make sure you have a strap wrench to hold back on the pulley while loosening the center nut. Cheap preventive maint. even if it's not leaking, cause it soon will.
Yeah I agree 100%, I'm trying to look at any possible PM's while doing WP. The seal is that simple huh, will have to make that happen while doing this. Anything else you might replace while in there?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Good luck to you brother its not as easy as one might suspect to change a water pump on a car like ours..Nissan didnt give us much room on the passanger side of the motorbay to work on stuff on the other hand on the drivers side theres about 8 inches of clear open space.. i think they could of designed that 1 a little better but anyway ive heard that jacking the passanger side of the car up taking the tire off and working in the wheelwell gives plenty of room but i tried it before without any success. I couldnt even get the black timing belt covers off with out ringing off a bolt so i just said forget it and took it to a shop to do.. only took them about a half a day so with good mechanic skills(which i guess i dont have)you can get everythign changed in a few hours but if this is your first time digging this deep into your motor then be advised you might need a couple days to do this project..Its amazing how easy it is to do tho when the motor is out lol, my orig motor just locked up on me so im int he middle of getting the whole thing replaced, I wateched the guy take it all apart and put it to gether like it was nothing...but anyways its always a good idea to change out seals and any other odds and ends in there WHILE your in there because you dont want to make this project a yearly habbit...it will get old quick. O and dont go to nissan for the sealent for the waterpump/oilpan The silicon sealent is 20 bucks a tube.....Not to mention for the 2 horseshoe gaskets for the oil pan they wanted 60 for both...Stealership
Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
Good luck to you brother its not as easy as one might suspect to change a water pump on a car like ours..Nissan didnt give us much room on the passanger side of the motorbay to work on stuff on the other hand on the drivers side theres about 8 inches of clear open space.. i think they could of designed that 1 a little better but anyway ive heard that jacking the passanger side of the car up taking the tire off and working in the wheelwell gives plenty of room but i tried it before without any success. I couldnt even get the black timing belt covers off with out ringing off a bolt so i just said forget it and took it to a shop to do.. only took them about a half a day so with good mechanic skills(which i guess i dont have)you can get everythign changed in a few hours but if this is your first time digging this deep into your motor then be advised you might need a couple days to do this project..Its amazing how easy it is to do tho when the motor is out lol, my orig motor just locked up on me so im int he middle of getting the whole thing replaced, I wateched the guy take it all apart and put it to gether like it was nothing...but anyways its always a good idea to change out seals and any other odds and ends in there WHILE your in there because you dont want to make this project a yearly habbit...it will get old quick. O and dont go to nissan for the sealent for the waterpump/oilpan The silicon sealent is 20 bucks a tube.....Not to mention for the 2 horseshoe gaskets for the oil pan they wanted 60 for both...Stealership
I'll be alright, I've done water pumps on Nissans before, just like to hear others experiences and pointers if they have any. I believe that the front axles was the toughest removal and new install that I have done already. This should be a cake walk compared to that job. Thanks for all the info on everything though, Shiloh.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

noob question. how did you know u needed a water pump? cause my car doesnt overheat but the needle gets up there but once i hit 45 mph it goes back down
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rman996
noob question. how did you know u needed a water pump? cause my car doesnt overheat but the needle gets up there but once i hit 45 mph it goes back down
Hmmm. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that sounds like a thermostat issue to me.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Does it happen when you're just idling or driving in heavy traffic?

To me it sounds like the coolant temperature sensor is bad and is not reporting the proper temperature to turn on the cooling fans when it gets hot enough. Happened to me before.

So take a look at the cooling fans and the temperature sensor to make sure they are working.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yea in traffic mostly. never when im idling. ill change the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor tomorrow nd see what happens. thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 07:55 PM

My 89 did the same thing. Mad some funky noises almost like a knock in the motor. I used the gasket and some brown shelack. (not sure how to spell it.)
Old 06-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yea in traffic mostly. never when im idling. ill change the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor tomorrow nd see what happens. thanks
yea.. it's most likely just one of the two causing the problem but if you change both at the same you may never know what caused it but you may not care either as long as it's fixed.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 AM

I figured it was the WP cause at first my Max was running hot, then I checked coolant level which was low, which led me to believe there was a leak. I found the leak which was coming from right under WP. Next I drained coolant system refilled with new coolant/sealant to no avail. Then I ran my Max til it hit right temp but pump will not pump coolant into engine no more. Not to leave out that the WP pulley has had intermittent sqeaking sound coming from it for a while. I knew it was on it's way out cause she just hit 150000 miles and things are gonna start going. Most of my engine is original except for what I wanted to upgrade for performance reasons and that's all.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 AM

If anyone's still interested I'm finally doing water pump today, finally got time and money to do it. Yeah and it's fcukin' HOTT!! The humidity over has been really bad this summer, even worse than last year, worse than normally. Also doing the thermostat which looks like a beotch on these auto's, not to mention the WP is a pain in the assssss!! Any suggestions/tips would be dope/great, thanks, Shiloh.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Finally finished installing a brand new WP and thermostat, What A Biitcchh!!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM

I told ya it wasnt going to be easy but glad to hear you got it done your self. How did it effect your car does it run good now?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
I told ya it wasnt going to be easy but glad to hear you got it done your self. How did it effect your car does it run good now?
Well the first signs that the WP was on it's way out was the light scraping noise coming from that area, the bearings were shot causing the inner propeller to rub/scrape inside. Then one day a couple of minutes from home my temp gage jumped up one bar and I knew this was it for the WP. A small leak from the WP was found and I left her parked in driveway like U should until you repair. Do to financial reasons I had 2 wait to do repair/install properly, you know belts,thermostat,good coolant,hoses, you know anything U might want to replace while in there. Taking off the crank pulley is bull**** but I'm lucky I have access 2 impact. Now belt area sound smooth/quiet like it should. I'm use 2 American V8's, this is my first import I've ever owned that I'm doing upgrade's 2 and hooking up 4 the street. Thanks 4 the reply though, Shiloh.