3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Timing Belt Noise

Ever since I put my motor back together, there has been a noise coming from one of the four belts the motor has. I removed all of the accessory drive belts, and the noise still exists. It is now obvious the noise is coming from the timing belt assembly.

Here is a video of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6O6IlKYMVI

It seems to kind of reverberate at certain engine speeds around idle, as you can see. What really erks me is I followed the timing belt installation procedure as per the FSM. I even used a brand new OEM tensioner. The only place I deviated from the procedure is estimating the 20 lb load you are supposed to put on the belt. I did, however measure the deflection.

The car runs well, but after CMax03's thread of his motor failing, I can't help but have a little bit of concern about it.

Anyone ever heard their VG make a noise like this before?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

sounds like the belt is rubbing against the cover............
Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM

I have to agree with last post, belt/pulley could be rubbing on cover..
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM

I wonder if I have a bent stud similar to CMax03...

I can't think think of any other reason it would be rubbing.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxitech
I wonder if I have a bent stud similar to CMax03...

I can't think think of any other reason it would be rubbing.
no point in sitting here speculating about what it could be...obviously dont drive it another inch, and pop the cover off to find out whats going on in there..
Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Well, there goes my weekend...This car is the reason I will never buy another car with a timing belt. I have had that d@mn timing cover on and off of there more times than I can count!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Well, there goes my weekend...This car is the reason I will never buy another car with a timing belt. I have had that d@mn timing cover on and off of there more times than I can count!
you has pushrods!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
you has pushrods!
I do, but a dump truck got on the highway in front of me yesterday and started dropping dirt or gravel or rock or debris or something everywhere and fubared my bumper and hood in a couple of spots. I was going to drop it off at the body shop tomorrow to get it fixed and have the Maxima to drive...Guess that will have to wait now.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I do, but a dump truck got on the highway in front of me yesterday and started dropping dirt or gravel or rock or debris or something everywhere and fubared my bumper and hood in a couple of spots. I was going to drop it off at the body shop tomorrow to get it fixed and have the Maxima to drive...Guess that will have to wait now.
you have really bad luck with cars mang....

you should buy a truck....
Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM
LvR

Me ? ................. I think that belt is just WAY too tight.

As Greeny said - don't drive the thing - if I am right you could end up with a "loose" crank snout on the garage floor .................. and that is way more serious than CMax3's problems
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Can the belt be reused if it has been set to tight and driven for a while?

I have that noise too but I have had it for a while. A lot longer than the timing belt I replaced back in Jan. And my dad was the one who set the tension on both belts when they were changed. I guess I will have to dive in myself to take a look.

Last edited by jbbons25; 06-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
LvR

Me? - I wouldn't re-use it if that was the real issue - especially if its been running for quite a while - its cost is nothing compared to the repair if something happens to the engine because of its failure.

This all off-course assumes that the correct belt has been fitted - round/square teeth on a round/square teeth pulley setup ............... fitting the incorrect belt can also create the same cacophony - if not worse
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 PM

Make sure not to run the engine without the crank sprocket bolted on this time

Good luck whatever it is. When I replaced my belt in 05 I think it was a bit tight, there was a subtle hum, but only audible with my ear right next to the cover, has since gone away. Sounds like you set the belt with enough slack, so i'm with Green, it's probably rubbing. I think it would have to be EXTREMELY tight to make that noise.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 AM

I suppose my game plan is to buy a new stud, belt, and fish scale (to properly measure 20 lbs of force) and dive in from there...Why, oh why, couldn't it just be all good for once?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 AM

you have really bad luck with cars mang....

you should buy a truck....
When they make a truck that drives like a Corvette I will be all over it...

Seems like everyone I know is having motor issues lately. Right now I am also working on trouble shooting my friend 2007 Corvette with a custom-built 455 cu in LSX motor...It makes around 700 hp and makes a straight evil noise!

Anyway, it is consuming a quart of oil every 200-250 miles and the inside of the intake is covered in the stuff...Also is looking like it has a bad valve stem seal. Gonna do a leak down test on it once I get my problems squared away...I suppose I could be in his shoes tho, the motor has 5000 miles on it and cost him $15K to have built!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

problem solved:

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 AM

Ahaha! I have seen that before...El Corvetto?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM

The belt sounds too tight.....I sure will make some inspection holes to inspect the belt for condition and trueness....I'm not going be paranoid but at calm with the ability to see what's going on without tearing everything apart to get to the timing belt.....Maxitech.....I've always dislked timing belts.....for these reasons as well!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 PM

No timing belt wear, just adjusted the tension...I thought it was loose enough already, but I guess not. The noise is still there a little bit, oh well. I will take another video clip sometime this week.

It was a real PITA to do in this Texas heat / humidity. I try to avoid working on cars around here this time of year.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 PM
LvR

No timing belt wear, just adjusted the tension...I thought it was loose enough already, but I guess not. The noise is still there a little bit, oh well. I will take another video clip sometime this week.
This is one operation where "thought" has no place at all - you either do it right or have somebody else do it right for you .................... the alternative is certain misery
Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM
STFU n00b!

I think he's already painfully aware of that.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 AM

Maxitech you gotta love the humidity.....It's like a steam room 24/7....Good for the skin....keeps ya looking young! Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
STFU n00b!

The steam makes you look young... the fact you're closer to the sun and the UV damage makes you look old. they cancel each other out. :\
Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
The steam makes you look young... the fact you're closer to the sun and the UV damage makes you look old. they cancel each other out. :\
See that's the difference between you and me I don't hang out in the UV and sunlight trying to get that beautiful brown tan I was given a nice peanut butter/caramel complexion from GOD.....So maybe you have wrinkles & crowfeet already, I don't....and I work outside for a living and I'm in my 40's.....this humidity keeps my skin pores justa pouring out sweat...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 AM
STFU n00b!

Whitey ages a bit faster than you guys that were born with more melanin. Even with sunscreen, we tend to burn and shrivel up a bit faster. just a fact of life when your body was adapted for climates that have fluffy white stuff falling from the sky a good percentage of the year. Then you move to a much warmer climate and the body just doesn't adjust well.

and umm yeah.. pouring out sweat? all this fat white guy has to do is walk outside and I'm soaked. there's no problem with that part! I just don't handle the UV. sunscreen is my best friend when I'm working 14hr days in the Caribbean.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Still trying to figure out how we went from talking about timing belts to sweaty men...

Oh, and the Corvette is going into the shop for paint on Monday...Rental car abuse time!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Still trying to figure out how we went from talking about timing belts to sweaty men...

Oh, and the Corvette is going into the shop for paint on Monday...Rental car abuse time!
I know!!!! That's the Org.......
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Whitey ages a bit faster than you guys that were born with more melanin. Even with sunscreen, we tend to burn and shrivel up a bit faster. just a fact of life when your body was adapted for climates that have fluffy white stuff falling from the sky a good percentage of the year. Then you move to a much warmer climate and the body just doesn't adjust well.

and umm yeah.. pouring out sweat? all this fat white guy has to do is walk outside and I'm soaked. there's no problem with that part! I just don't handle the UV. sunscreen is my best friend when I'm working 14hr days in the Caribbean.
You're crazy Matt.......Good sense of humor....LOL
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Dug this old thread up to add my experience with the same issue. Just had new belts (all of them) put on and my Max is making the exact same noise recorded in the video only not quite as loud but close. Gonna take it back to the shop that did the work tomorrow and have em' take a listen.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 AM

I do all my own work.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Shop owner had a listen. Said he didn't think it was the timing belt but bring it back and the guy who did the job will have a listen. Could be bearings going out in a pully or could be the new water pump they put in. If it's the pump they should replace I think?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 PM

I do all my own work.
Yea I'm getting there too but this was a PITA job and as I described in another thread my tools are **** and I'm under prepared for a timing belt job.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 PM

I thought it was horrible the first time I did it, but after eight or so times I can tear it down and put it back together in 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM

wow thats diffrent
Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 PM

So I took the max back by my mechanic and the guy who did the job had a listen and says it's normal and that he tensions all T belts a little tighter then then they spec cause they always loosen up and I shouldn't worry. The "whir" it's making wasn't as severe as the OP's but very similar in character.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM

sounds like the belt is rubbing against the cover............
yes and i have too agree too
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 PM

I didn't see a post on it, I just read though quickly, but when setting the tensioner I do think you should put a feeler gauge between the belt and tensioner don't remember thickness and keep tension to the point that you can pull it out.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter
So I took the max back by my mechanic and the guy who did the job had a listen and says it's normal and that he tensions all T belts a little tighter then then they spec cause they always loosen up and I shouldn't worry. The "whir" it's making wasn't as severe as the OP's but very similar in character.
Your mechanic is an excuse making SOB. Tell him to fix it the right way. There are max specs for a reason, but I'd bet almost anything that he doesn't even know the correct specifications anyhow.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 PM

If I do give someone a chance its usually 1. After that they don't get a second to make the issue worse. If you couldn't do it right the first time the why waste my time and money on you again. This is the reason I do all my own work. If I don't know how I find out.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by bigmax90
yes and i have too agree too
Nope, had the cover off while it was running to observe if this was the case.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Noise