3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

noob talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

noob talk

so i just though about this the other day..

ive read on here that lowering a car on stock struts will just blow em..
and i kinda got to thinking and i came up with this idea..

couldnt you put a smaller diameter spring inside the lowering spring and still run the stock strut.

im sure you guys know me and my total disregard for doing things the right way.

so i thought that maybe i could do this someday when i cut my springs or sumthin. haha.

so is it possible to put two spring per strut..

one inside the other?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM

DavidsFarm did that to his Mazda (double springs), but really just pay a few hundred for some struts and drop properly.

theres no way you have the struts that came with your car still, what do you have now? also dont cut your springs, thats the Honda way

and not to hi-jack but looks like the last seller on Ebay im trying for Tokicos DIDNT have them actually in-stock so i dont think he can find them (not replying to my emails ), i have KYB GR2 right now and want to do a 2" K-Sport drop. can the KYB handle it?

worst case is my mechanic said he could use my KYB with some chassis work but i would rather not
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Idk about the whole double spring thing... but i just bought the ksport springs the other day and plan on using them on the monroe sensatrac struts i have until they blow and by then ill have the money to get some stiffer struts... what option do we have for struts now ? cuz on ebay i see alot of kyb and tockico but if your sayin that they dont have kyb then are the tockicos okay ?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrome91
DavidsFarm did that to his Mazda (double springs), but really just pay a few hundred for some struts and drop properly.

theres no way you have the struts that came with your car still, what do you have now? also dont cut your springs, thats the Honda way

and not to hi-jack but looks like the last seller on Ebay im trying for Tokicos DIDNT have them actually in-stock so i dont think he can find them (not replying to my emails ), i have KYB GR2 right now and want to do a 2" K-Sport drop. can the KYB handle it?

worst case is my mechanic said he could use my KYB with some chassis work but i would rather not
i already know it would be 'better' to do everything the right way.. but i just kinda dont choose to. and anyways.. this is just a 'what if' kinda question.. u know a hypothetical sorta thing

and yeah as far as im concerned i have the original struts unless the owner before me changed them.. i dont really know.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM

i got lucky, i bought kyb gr2 for like 90 bucks shipped on ebay. dam bro shouldnt have bought the ksports lol
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Idk about the whole double spring thing... but i just bought the ksport springs the other day and plan on using them on the monroe sensatrac struts i have until they blow and by then ill have the money to get some stiffer struts... what option do we have for struts now ? cuz on ebay i see alot of kyb and tockico but if your sayin that they dont have kyb then are the tockicos okay ?
Tokico discontinued 3rd gen struts, one guy on Ebay had 3 sets in stock but 2 weeks later he said Tokico just told him that the struts are discontinued (when i had known for a month ) and gave me a refund.

there was one more seller, and the ad said "ALL ITEMS ARE IN STOCK". one week later, he says "i have to get them from the manufacturer, i'll let you know in a week". its been 2 weeks, hes not replying to emails, and suddenly has bad rep from a bunch of people for not shipping struts FML i might just suck it up and pay a extra $300 for Koni's as soon as i fight for a refund from this f4cker.

Last edited by chrome91; 07-20-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
i got lucky, i bought kyb gr2 for like 90 bucks shipped on ebay. dam bro shouldnt have bought the ksports lol
how are your Eibachs working on KYB GR2? i wonder if my Ksports can work with my KYB GR2
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
how are your Eibachs working on KYB GR2? i wonder if my Ksports can work with my KYB GR2
Works great, kyb pro springs are pretty stiff, real good with control, but just bumpy, but thats normal lol especially in LA. but yea Alot of people prefer the eibachs, Let us know how the ksports are, kinda risky bidnezzz there broski haha
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
and yeah as far as im concerned i have the original struts unless the owner before me changed them.. i dont really know.
IIRC struts need to be changed every 4-5 years, i got my KYB GR2 installed January 2008 and 2 and a half years later theyre already showing some wear
Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
Works great, kyb pro springs are pretty stiff, real good with control, but just bumpy, but thats normal lol especially in LA. but yea Alot of people prefer the eibachs, Let us know how the ksports are, kinda risky bidnezzz there broski haha
my mechanic works from his home and does professional racing and import tuners so he knows alot. he said he could do something with my chassis to lower with my KYB's and remove the whole exhaust, and while hes doing that, it would allow him access to see how other stuff is doing like the tranny.

my biggest problem is my front suspension is pretty much shot right now, the front wheels wobble half a inch and my half year old front tires are already basically garbage from crazy uneven wear. i need to fix all of those problems before the drop

he said if i do the Ksports properly it shouldnt be a problem though
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM

supposedly tokicos are better and kyb gr2s are just replacements
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 PM

he said that Tokico's actually arent the best, but hopefully i can figure something out by the time i get all of my suspension parts
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

2 things....

1. Hatman...you will still blow the stock struts with a double spring..it's gonna ride like crap, you're not gonna like it..

2. Chrome...jack one more thread with your garbage in this forum, and you will be on vacation...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

KYB GR2's are just stock replacements
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

Tokico and Koni are no longer an option for our cars. Ask me how I know.

Seriously though, don't ask.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greeny
2 things....

1. Hatman...you will still blow the stock struts with a double spring..it's gonna ride like crap, you're not gonna like it..
thanks for the answer