3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cat-back straight pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

cat-back straight pipes?

so i was wondering what straight pipes sound like on a maxima. are they obnoxiously loud?

i was wondering because im thinking about making one in my welding class.
i have access to torches and welders and griders and stuff.. stuff to fabricate. so i was wondering what it would sound like.

also. i just wanted to run my idea by some of you guys to see what you think.
i plan to go to a pull apart. try taking the exhaust off past the cat and cut that flange that bolts to the cat. and then weld staight pipe from there. how big should i make it.. i was thinking like 2.5 in. maybe 3 just to make it cool. haha. where can i get pre bent elbows and stuff? ive seen them at autozone but.. idk. i was wondering if there was a company or a type of place thats more specialized.. do muffler shops sell pipe? another idea i had was just to use all straight pipe and cut it at an angle to make up an elbow.. but i would imagine this would take for ever. haha. anyways. let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I can tell you it'd be incredibly loud, and you'd likely get tired of it after a while. But hey, you're young, have at it. These clowns here like to flame but we've all been there as teenagers

You'd ideally want 2.5", 3" would be a waste of your time and you'd actually probably lose power. How you do it is you buy 2.5" mandrel bends from Summit or Jegs or eBay, or wherever, then cut/weld them to make any shape that way (you'd only need two bends for the catback). You can buy straight pipe from Summit/Jegs too. Lightbulb moment - this is how people make full custom turbo setups, exhausts, etc.

But you know you can straight up buy this from WSP, right?

(plus I assume you don't have emissions testing? And also, nitpicking here - since the 3rd gen doesn't have true duals, it wouldn't be "straight pipes", as this is akin to getting "headers" on a Civic or something)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

damn.. ive taken the exaust off past the cat before just for the hell of it and it was super loud.. i figured if u direct that gas and sound it would get a little quieter.
what if i take the muffler off but keep the resonator? would that bring the sound level to something better?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Well yeah, it'll be a little quieter, with a straight pipe all the way out the back, but not a whole bunch. Most of the sound difference will be a sort of "audial illusion" just because the sound will be behind you rather than right underneath you

You can remove the muffler and it wouldn't be as loud, but will still be relatively loud. Of course, the definition of "loud" is different from person to person, so you'd really just have to try it out to gauge for yourself
Old 09-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Banned

yeah i was talking to a guy that had straighht pipes on his beemer and he said u cant really hear it in the cab.. the sound just goes out the back.. and that makes sense.. i just dont wanna look stoopid with a hella loud car. haha.
i think ill get a junkyard exhaust and cut the exhaust off and work from there. if its nice ill keep it. if i want it louder ill make it all straight pipe.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Yeah it's loud and obnoxious, kinda like a big Harley.....
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Hey man that exhaust thread i did not too long ago was straights with the resonator and cat still in it and its not too loud... go for it man lol
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Well yeah, it'll be a little quieter, with a straight pipe all the way out the back, but not a whole bunch. Most of the sound difference will be a sort of "audial illusion" just because the sound will be behind you rather than right underneath you

You can remove the muffler and it wouldn't be as loud, but will still be relatively loud. Of course, the definition of "loud" is different from person to person, so you'd really just have to try it out to gauge for yourself

This/\/\/\/\
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Hey man that exhaust thread i did not too long ago was straights with the resonator and cat still in it and its not too loud... go for it man lol
i thought u had flowmasters or sumthin.. haha.
is it nice man?

you should make a video. post that biattch on FB. haha
Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Straight pipe to me mean just that.....no resonators, no cat, just pipe....You're sounding like one of those "I kinda got laid type of guys".....Realisticly, either you did or you didn't...LOL
Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Hahaha my bad bro, how else would i have explained that i have a cat, a resonator, and a straight pipe for an exhaust ?? But im gonna have to disagree, you can definitely get 'kinda' laid LMAO It counts as 1/2 on the score chart
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

i get what i can. lmao..

but u shuld really make a sound clip, mang
Old 09-05-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Hahaha my bad bro, how else would i have explained that i have a cat, a resonator, and a straight pipe for an exhaust ?? But im gonna have to disagree, you can definitely get 'kinda' laid LMAO It counts as 1/2 on the score chart
BJ vs straight cat.....cat wins all day!LOL
Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
mod or sell?

if you run 2.5 straight pipe it isn't too bad. I drove mine like that for a couple of years.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if you run 2.5 straight pipe it isn't too bad. I drove mine like that for a couple of years.
Do you have a tendency to ask ppl to repeat themselves alot??? Say What? I didn't hear what you said!!!......LOL!