3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Matt's Restoration/Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 PM

As some of you may know, I had an accident about 3 months ago and the insurance totaled my car and gave me a check. Last week the junk yard called me to see if I still wanted to buy it back (I told my insurance I wanted to buy it back)

I finally went to get it yesterday with one of my buddies, the entire day didn't go as planned but I got it here. It's all worth it for me since it's more than just a car, even tho I know it will take some time and money to fix her back up.

In this thread I will post a diary of the work done on the car with photos.

Here is a list of parts I need to replace:
- 2 out of spec injectors
- Front bumper
- Bumper reinforcement
- Grill
- Right turn signal
- Right Headlight
- Right side marker
- Radiator
- Radiator support
- Radiator fans (They look ok, but will only really know once it's off)
- Hood
- Hood latch
- Right Fender

The AC radiator needs replacement too, but I'm planning on removing the AC anyway.

I'm also thinking of doing some restoring work on the car since I have another DD I am presently using.

Other things I want to do:
- Stillen body kit
- Lowering springs
- Exhaust
- Paint job
- Take the entire interior apart and clean it to like new (We got a machine at work for that)
- Window tint
- Some performance mods (Don't know what yet)

Last edited by Phatmatt; 10-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Matt's Restoration/Rebuild Thread

Reserved for day 1

(Waiting for photos from my buddy)

Last edited by Phatmatt; 09-22-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM

DAY 2

As the car sat at 8am. Two front tires flat, two right side wheels brakes jammed.

I put in a battery, and it started right up like if I've been using it for the last 3 months. At least I knew it still ran good. Now I would be able to move it into the garage out of the rain.

I started up the car, and started backing up slowly with two front tires flat and one of the back ones jammed. Made it about 10 meters before I decided to give it up and take the wheels off and put some air in them. Wasn't easy since the front end was so low and the fact that I was on wet dirt so the jack keep sinking in the ground, but I got it up and took off the tires.

With air in the tires I started backing up again still with that jammed wheel. It only got unstuck when I hit the small bump at the entrance of the garage.

Now it was time to start taking the front end apart.

At 12:30 we decided to take a break and go eat at the restaurant.

When we came back we took off the bumper and right fender. Work was going good.

We cut the radiator support off to give room to take out the AC radiator. And there's me proudly beside my max.

3pm. After cleaning the garage and taking the car out. The car is parked for the night.

Going back tomorrow to continue work on it.

Last edited by Phatmatt; 09-22-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Cool!

Wow, that's really not very bad damage at all and looks like the frame rail and bumper support was untouched.

I guess it doesn't take much from an insurance perspective to total a 20 year old car
Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM

Insurance valued the car at 1350, and the damages were estimated at 3900. Bought the car back for 300.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM

i bought my 89 maxima from the portland auctions, it was "totalled" even though all it needed was a front bumper and right fender. got it for 450$. anyways im excited to see the final pics!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 AM

Keep the pics coming...I see determination in your eyes. You can do this!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM

DAY 3

Removed front bumper reinforcement.

My buddy helping me remove the radiator.

Radiator removed. We took off the AC compressor and AC lines. Gives much more room. Not going to replace this.

Parts taken off today.

Now my next step is to find a cheap third gen for the front end. Doesn't matter the condition the car is in as long as the front is intact, paint doesn't matter. I can get one for about 500$. And then I'll keep whatever is still usable on the car and might sell some parts to get some money back.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Damn for a second the title threw me off. I thought he finally decided to revive the VE. LOL. Glad to see your not giving up on your ride.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM

If I were you man, Id be pullin that motor out and fixin up that engine bay while I was at it. Looks like you got some strut tower rust and some minor rust on the frame rail that might be worth nippin in the butt while you have the chance.

Do you guys have craigslist up in Canada? Or active areas served by it anyway? Here in Chicago there are plenty of Maximas in pretty poor overall shape for cheap on there. There is one now that would be perfect for you. Wrecked rear end but the rest is in great shape for 450....might be worth it to check out.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM

i have to do some of the same front end work on my 94 se that you are doing on your max. great work. keep it up. cant wait to see it finished
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM

i wish i had a garage and time. i would work on my max every damn day till shes hooked up all the way.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM

we have Kijiji, its way more popular than Craigslist. Craigslist is dead for most of Canada

same basic idea as Craigslist though
Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 PM

nice, cant wait to see when its complete
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM

It Hurts Just Looking At Your Max!!

Sorry 2 see that happen to anybody, it sucks that you only get the totaled out estimate and not what it would really cost to fix. If you do it yourself of course that should be enough but what about the person who can't repair themselves. Good wrenching my dude, just a quick thought my dude, have you that about finding another shell? I know you attached to your Max, believe me. I've seen some mint shells that just need a good motor and it will save you much time/headaches. Just a thought, good wrenching.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
Sorry 2 see that happen to anybody, it sucks that you only get the totaled out estimate and not what it would really cost to fix. If you do it yourself of course that should be enough but what about the person who can't repair themselves. Good wrenching my dude, just a quick thought my dude, have you that about finding another shell? I know you attached to your Max, believe me. I've seen some mint shells that just need a good motor and it will save you much time/headaches. Just a thought, good wrenching.
in the bright side, there was only a couple of hundred (or so) dollars worth of damage. now, he has some extra cash, and a bunch of new parts
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Awesome, thats great to hear you are rebuilding it! Insurance companies are such a pain, I know they ripped me off on my car.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM

keep it coming with more pics...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodder
If I were you man, Id be pullin that motor out and fixin up that engine bay while I was at it. Looks like you got some strut tower rust and some minor rust on the frame rail that might be worth nippin in the butt while you have the chance.

Do you guys have craigslist up in Canada? Or active areas served by it anyway? Here in Chicago there are plenty of Maximas in pretty poor overall shape for cheap on there. There is one now that would be perfect for you. Wrecked rear end but the rest is in great shape for 450....might be worth it to check out.
Have some rust where the strut tower is, Starting fixing it before it got wrecked. I removed the infected area and welding in a new sheet of metal. However I wasn't done and it spent 3 months in a field. So I need to retouch that area.

Some other rust on the passenger floor/firewall area. And some on the back wheel area where the filler neck is. It has not penetrated throught when I check it (that was 4+ months ago tho). Will fix those like I did for the strut tower, remove infected metal and reweld new sheet metal.

No Craigslist here, We have Kijiji which is pretty popular around here.

Originally Posted by dj tes
i have to do some of the same front end work on my 94 se that you are doing on your max. great work. keep it up. cant wait to see it finished
Thanks and good luck to you too. It's not all that bad if you have mechanical skills and love working on your car.

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Awesome, thats great to hear you are rebuilding it! Insurance companies are such a pain, I know they ripped me off on my car.

It has sentimental value to me, people think I'm crazy rebuilding this car saying it's not worth the money and all. I guess they just don't understand. I still think your max was one of the nicest I've seen. I don't have your E36 anymore. Was going to install them the weekend before the accident, luckily I had something come up and didn't have the time. Benstoked has them now. I'm going to have to find other ones to install.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

what? e36 lights? where?

(ot, but does anyone know where to get the four-pin connector for those headlights?)
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by BenStoked

what? e36 lights? where?
You bastid lets see some installed pics!

Do you still have that other/parts 3rd gen?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by James92SE
You bastid lets see some installed pics!

Do you still have that other/parts 3rd gen?
need to get that harness, first. got rid of it a while back, unfortunately.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Looking good man
Old 09-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BenStoked

(ot, but does anyone know where to get the four-pin connector for those headlights?)
No real harness ever came with them. You might be able to just use crimp connectors to fit onto the posts. Maybe some harness for BMWs will fit though.

Sorry for the OT
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM

I think I found a donor car

http://sherbrooke.kijiji.ca/c-autos-...dIdZ230948987#

He's asking 600, but im sure I can bring it down by going there and paying cash.

Also, Anyone know what's the name for the piece that holds the headlights/radiator? I can't find one anywhere, do they even sell that part? or am I gonna have to cut if off the donor car and weld it?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
I think I found a donor car

http://sherbrooke.kijiji.ca/c-autos-...dIdZ230948987#

He's asking 600, but im sure I can bring it down by going there and paying cash.

Also, Anyone know what's the name for the piece that holds the headlights/radiator? I can't find one anywhere, do they even sell that part? or am I gonna have to cut if off the donor car and weld it?
im pretty sure thats called the Upper Radiator Support, double check though.
and though you can cut it off the donor and use it from that too, It may be some extra work

Good work man. Way to keep the thing alive.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Day 4

Un-seized the front brakes, cleaned them and re-greased them.
Back calipers was another story, all four pins on both sides are seized and one of them has a rubber boot on the cylinder almost all gone so that's seized too. I'll either buy remans, or rebuild them depending on the cost of remans vs time to rebuild myself.

Day 5

With the outside practically done for now and waiting for a parts car I decided to start stripping the interior for cleaning and preparing the floor repair existing rust spots and rust proofing.

Those air ducts are going to get a good cleaning..

Worked well into the night, but interior still isn't done.

Sorry for not having more photos, my batteries were low and kept dying.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Benstoke just hardwire the e36 trust me alot easier then figuring out bmw's stupid wire harness plus the prongs don'tlike to stay in. Hope the ones your running are h1 bulb ones which are true European and not usdm models. Sorry for off topic