3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shift Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Shift Lock Problem

I have a problem with my shift lock mechanism but it's not like the other problems I've found when searching. It works fine on startup and putting it into gear, the problem occurs when I go to shift back into park. The button on the shifter won't push in and I have to hold down the shift lock **** to get it back into park. From what I have read about the shifter bushings and related problems I don't think that is it. The car drops right into gear with the selector on D or R. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 PM

No one has an idea?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Sounds like your adjustments are off a little.....
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 AM

Not sure if this is going to be of any help, but had the opposite problem with my 4th gen Maxima, where you couldnt push the button in when it was in park, so couldnt get it out of park, even with your foot on the brake. To make matters worse, the New Zealand 4th gens dont have the shift lock button to manually get it out of park. Was fine for all the other gears where the lever button needed to be used. Turned out the cable from the shift lock mechanism to the brake/ignition key setup was stretched so needed replacing. Id say yours either needs the cable replaced or adjusted.

As a matter of interest, the New Zealand 3rd gens dont have the shift lock mechanism installed. Nissan New Zealand obviously didnt think it was necessary as part of the specs. The gear lever can moved at any time, so dont need the key in the ignition or foot on the brake etc.