3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fuel overflow or leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:04 AM

fuel overflow or leak

ok i had got in a little fender bender bout a week ago and my back bumper was pushed in to where my trunk wont close normaly
last night i had bought a bottle of bg 44k and put in my car then filled it up and fuel starts leaking from under car and im like WTF is going on so i turn on the car on accessory and my gauge is showing im topped of so im like i might of overflowed it but the nozzle should of stopped it when it felt it was full. my first thought was maybe in that fender bender somehow something broke or cracked like a fuel line but then i also thought if that was the case then i would of been leaking fuel since that happened. im jus thinking its that i over flowed it and it relieved fuel cuz the nozzle @ the gas station didnt work cuz its supposed to stop when its fill up. i then get to my destination and no leaking when i park it but when i leave and i park the car on a hill and its started leaking again so i leave and get home and no more leaking. this is bugging the fawk out of me

anyone been thru this?

Last edited by nyc_ink; 01-01-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

most likely overflowed but check it later on to make sure
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 AM

You got a cracked filler tube.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM

I wouldn't let this one go without investigating, probably damaged something in bender.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:11 PM

I suggest that you check everything very closely in the corner where the filler neck connects to the gas tank. There are several rubber hoses in the area that could be brittle with age and may have cracked with the impact.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 PM

nothing has leaked at all today. im guessing i just overfilled. if something was cracked or messed up all my fuel would of leaked out right?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
nothing has leaked at all today. im guessing i just overfilled. if something was cracked or messed up all my fuel would of leaked out right?
I would say the leak is at the top of the filler tube, close to the gas cap. Personally I would check it out before I start making up theories about it. I filled my tank all the way to the cap and it didn't leak so how do you explain that buddy.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
I would say the leak is at the top of the filler tube, close to the gas cap. Personally I would check it out before I start making up theories about it. I filled my tank all the way to the cap and it didn't leak so how do you explain that buddy.
i have been checking and it hasnt leaked again so im not making up theories and
yea it might be cracked at the top but not the fuel line at the bottom buddy cuz i would been out of gas already and my gauge is still close to full
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

99.9% of the time when you have a fuel leak/smell near the rear driver wheel area around the time you fill-up it's the gas tank vent hose. I haven't had a third gen yet (I've had 4) in which this hose wasn't cracked. And I'm in Texas.. I would assume the probability would be higher up north
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
99.9% of the time when you have a fuel leak/smell near the rear driver wheel area around the time you fill-up it's the gas tank vent hose. I haven't had a third gen yet (I've had 4) in which this hose wasn't cracked. And I'm in Texas.. I would assume the probability would be higher up north
its not by the driver wheel. my bad i forgot to mention where it was. when it leaked it was right behind the left side rear wheel. it was coming from above the wheel but couldnt see where tho. it hasnt leaked since that incident.

an old school mechanic told me today that old cars dont have shut of valve and old cars have a release hole that releases gas when too much is put in. idk how true that is. i still keep checking every time i drive somewhere and still no leaking.

and what hose exactly are u talking about?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 PM

....? What? The driver side is the left side.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM

....? What? The driver side is the left side.
i said right behind the left rear wheel. not right wheel lol
Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Lol.

I said "...near the rear driver wheel area.."

You, in turn, said "its not by the driver wheel. my bad i forgot to mention where it was. when it leaked it was right behind the left side rear wheel"

I said driver side rear wheel. You said it WAS NOT the wheel I indicated. You then said left rear wheel. The left rear wheel = the driver side rear wheel, which is what I originally said...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Lol.

I said "...near the rear driver wheel area.."

You, in turn, said "its not by the driver wheel. my bad i forgot to mention where it was. when it leaked it was right behind the left side rear wheel"

I said driver side rear wheel. You said it WAS NOT the wheel I indicated. You then said left rear wheel. The left rear wheel = the driver side rear wheel, which is what I originally said...

i just found a thread caped made a while back with this same problem and it seem a few ppl that replied had the same issue happen to them before but im going to double check this week. they where saying it can be either the hose connected on the filler tube or the hose that connects the filler to the tank that might be cracked. i hope thats what it is or even if its the filler tube cause ill be able to that by myself.

hey how much for the pair of speaker mounts? pm me a good price cause i might buy a pair after i fix a few things on the max.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
hey how much for the pair of speaker mounts? pm me a good price cause i might buy a pair after i fix a few things on the max.
That's what everybody says. I haven't sold a pair of speaker mounts in probably a year or more. Don't know why I keep it in my sig

It really takes quite a bit of effort/time on my part to make them, and most people don't want to pay what's fair for that effort/time. After shipping and materials and PayPal fees, I'm lucky to make ~25 bucks off them. I actually raised my price over the years because I got sick of making 15 bucks for all that effort.

Plus, you can get these for about half as much as mine. So in comparison mine are probably considered overpriced by many (which I perfectly understand).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...#ht_1403wt_939
Old 01-02-2011, 06:45 PM

That's what everybody says. I haven't sold a pair of speaker mounts in probably a year or more. Don't know why I keep it in my sig

It really takes quite a bit of effort/time on my part to make them, and most people don't want to pay what's fair for that effort/time. After shipping and materials and PayPal fees, I'm lucky to make ~25 bucks off them. I actually raised my price over the years because I got sick of making 15 bucks for all that effort.

Plus, you can get these for about half as much as mine. So in comparison mine are probably considered overpriced by many (which I perfectly understand).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...#ht_1403wt_939
lol i feel what ur saying.
thanks for the link tho i never knew they sold things like that for our cars since most things have been discontinued for the 3rd gen maxima.
i cant find those black euro headlights nowhere on ebay