3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Don't spend your $$ w/ LEVEL10

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 05:37 PM

I've spent about $3,400 on an transmission and torque convertor. LEVEL 10 dosen't own up to there warranty.

Well, the story goes that I in Jan. 2000 I bought an tranny from them and had may mechanic install it and within about 3 months the tranny gears were know good (it would not shift in reverse on my trip from Atlanta to Tennesse and only made it half way). So, Level 10 did pay mechanic to take the tranny out and put back in but, the tranny had to be sent back to them to be rebuilt. The owner Pat Barrett asked me to install an new radiator and seperate tranny cooler. He says the tranny went bad because of insufficant flood going throw the tranny. So, I bought an rad. an t/c..

Then, 3 months later it went bad again so, Pat wanted to install the tranny himself and sent an towe truck and towed it to Hamburg, NJ. Once Pat received the car he asured me that I wouldn't have to pay for any thing except for another radiator ( I told him okay I wanted everything to run correctly and it would take an week and a half to rebuild and send back. But then a week became an month and a half and a guy from Level 10 called me say's that the my car was ready and I own them $3,000 to get my car back and I informed the guy that, that was bull **** and I wanted to speak to Pat. I called for 3 days straight with the same run around ( he was busy can I call back in an hour bull ****). So, I finally talked to him and we urgued and he told me that I can get the car back if I pay which was $950 for towing and I told him that I would be there tomorrow to pick the car up the car.

My friend and I took a flight from Atlanta, Ga. to Newark, NJ. and took an rental to his shop in Hamburg. So, when I pulled up they just started to test drive my car and Pat tells me that the brakes didn't work and he hasn't had and chance to test drive the car. Master cylinder was what I needed to get going so, I bought that and sayed an night in NJ, for them to install it.

So, I got may car and it was driving okay on the way home to Atl, Ga. but may car started to smoke badly and lucky I made it to and gas station, when I stepped out the car there was tranmission fliud coming form my tranny and my car wouldn't go into any of the gears.

The next morning I talked to Pat and told him what happened and he simply tells me that he's not responsiably and I need to take it up with the radiator company and he was "washing his hands off w/ my car".

So I was lucky to have friends in VA. they came an picked me up in some little country town named Stafford.

Know I have a car that doesn't work and I have to tow my car back home.

Do anyone know if I can sue for my money back?

And for all of you who is thinking of using Level 10 DON'T DO IT YOU MAY END UP IN MY SITUATION.

[Edited by Tonio90max on 11-08-2000 at 08:53 PM]
Old 11-08-2000, 06:17 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Interesting>>>>

Sorry to hear that this happened to you, but from your experience we will learn a few things. Sad to see someone payed 3,400 plus for a tranny rebuild (and the overall cost still increasing, have to get your car back home) from a reputable company and they're not willing to stand by their work. I'm no attorney by far but it seems as if you might have a case, just check to see what the warranty covered.
Old 11-08-2000, 06:36 PM

I'm not an attorney either but it seems to be a small claims court deal to me. i say sue his ***. candiman your car is tight
Old 11-08-2000, 08:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Sorry to hear that man...

Level 10 is pretty pricey and they should think about Customer satisfaction a little bit. I think you should consult a lawyer, this is outrageous man, 3,400$ is a lot of money.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:18 PM
STFU n00b!

Just tell the guy three little words. Better Business Bureau.

Also, if you paid the bill(s) by credit card, you can have them get into the fight.. Buy a Nissan tranny and have it installed, then take the arsehole to court and sue him for the money it cost you PLUS all the extra money you spent on the car to get it towed back and forth, PLUS the cost of the plane ticket and car rental PLUS any more expenses..

had Level 10 done the job right the first time, you would not have had to do any of that stuff..

then again, you better read the warranty paperwork and have a lawyer type person go over it with a fine tooth comb and check ALL paperwork and correspondence with Level 10... they cound get you on a legality or something, so have your stuff together when you go in to fight.
Old 11-09-2000, 05:05 AM

I would definitely dispute the charge from the credit card company even if you paid

it. When paying with discover card you can dispute a charge 6 months after the putchase. I would have thought L10 would have provided better service. It's apparent all shops make mistakes. It's how you correct those mistakes that separates one shop from the next.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:17 AM

I, too, have a Stage 3 Level 10 box and I've had it since June this year. The thing is going strong, and unlike you, I'm running a lot more horsepower - 80 dry shot of NOS, along with custom CAI, ported and polished heads (increased the compression ratio) and Jacobs Pro-Street ignition with Nitrous Mastermind, bringing it to 210FWHP.

Mine is going damn strong, and I've been keeping a close eye on the temperature of the box with an Autometer gauge I installed. Yes, it is overheating by 10F with the external cooler Pat sold me with it (not connected to the stock radiator in any way), but Australian climate conditions are much harsher than US conditions. This weekend I'll be fitting a thermostatic control to independently control the radiator fan behind the cooler in order to keep things cooler as it's only happening in peak hour traffic (i.e. Not much air flow). The fluid is flowing at a phenomenal 2.5 quarts per 15 secs, indicating the box is doing just fine. It chirps in 2nd and 3rd gear when I'm on the nitrous, and it begs for more (so I'm upgrading to a 150 wet shot of NOS and hope the stock pistons can take the extra heat).

My point is, you've got a bad experience there, but as to why, I'm not about to play the jury. I just thought it would be worth mentioning my opinion of Level 10's work to everyone here as I feel it was worth the $$$$. Imagine how I would feel, being in Australia, and finding that I have to ship my gearbox all the way back to the US (mucho $$$ to do that!) just to get it repaired, whether it's under warranty or not. I don't think Level 10 would be ones to screw around, but like I said, I'm not about to play the jury. I do sincerely hope that it all works out for you.

Old 11-09-2000, 10:39 AM

Are you the guy from MAXUS 2K? Dude, that is some unbelieveable stuff....

-Kaleb
Old 11-09-2000, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Level 10...

Tonio90max,
As others have stated... I am not a lawyer (yet) either, but I am in law school, so perhaps I can offer some advice. Also, like others have stated, KEEP ALL PAPERWORK! Keep all correspondence, receipts, etc. Even document your actions from time of contacting Level 10 initially up to right now today. Document every time that you make a phone call, send a letter, etc. from this point on. This will be needed by your lawyer to suggest the best course of action for getting some kind of retribution for you. If you have or had a copy of the contract with Level 10, make extra copies and do not lose the original!!!... Again, I can't stress enough to keep all paperwork!

It sounds as though you will definitely end up in small claims court due to the amount of money in question. $3,000-$10,000 in most jurisdictions is small claims.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I hope it all works out for you. I'd be interested to know how things turn out.

Oh yeah, Matt mentioned contacting the better business bureau, which is also a good idea, but they take incredibly long to get things moving for you. If you can afford it, go seek a lawyer, if not, the BBB may be your best bet.
Old 11-09-2000, 11:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kaleb
Are you the guy from MAXUS 2K? Dude, that is some unbelieveable stuff....

-Kaleb
yeah, that is the guy from Maxus
His name is Antonio Scott. He was there with his brother, but he was driving a dodge truck because his max was having tranny problems then
Old 11-09-2000, 04:05 PM

Pat from Level 10 did sell me an seperate cooler and I plan on going after him.
To "THE MAX" I presented my story to infrom everyone that things like this does happen and for people to think very hard on sending lots of money to an company that's out of town. I'm pretty sure that other have had very good results with them.

But mean time I'm going to the junkyard and pick-up an tranny and get started on my other projects.

Does any one know if I can still use the torque convertor, even though my tranny is no good.
Old 11-09-2000, 04:46 PM

Also

Make sure any correspondence you send is CERTIFIED MAIL that way you have proof they rcvd it and they cant give you that bs line "we never got it"*****id be flipping for that much $$$$ glad my rebuilt was only $850cash(no L10)but as strong as the stock one