3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

whats the worst thing you've done to your max?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 06:21 PM

Me, I ran into a battery charger. my aunt she drove her 3rd gen through wet cement. and to make it worse she let it get hard and dry.
Old 11-08-2000, 06:52 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

had sex in the backseat...i felt bad for my baby....nah just kidding...drove through a mall parking lot that had an dumb *** 18 year old driving a jeep wagoneer...mf'r plowed right through me...
Old 11-08-2000, 07:00 PM

hmmm.....

Welp.....this summer they were paving a main road around my area. The street was scraped down and the man hole covers were like a couple inches up. Welp...I hit a bump and my lowered max slamed down on one of them...either the cross member or the metal thing that hangs low under the radiator. I hit it so hard..I let out some kind of crazy words. hehe...I was sure I did damage. BUT...none there.

Other than the occasional 6k run she's had a good 2 years with me.

Mike S.
Old 11-08-2000, 07:26 PM

Drove from Philly to Southern Maryland in 2nd gear. My tranny went bad while I was on a ski trip and I had no choice but to drive it that way. 500 miles at 5000+ Rpm. Left the tranny mechanic with a mess but the engine still runs strong. Thats how strong the VG is.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.
Old 11-08-2000, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well I was on my way home and the light turned red

I ran through it and a car started pulling out real Quick and Bam. 2550 dollars and 1 month later cars alll fixed. Gosh I hated that moment.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:01 PM
STFU n00b!

fell asleep on the way home from a party, drove off the left side of the road, plowed down a tree, and parked it in a ditch..
ruined the left front suspension and body panels.. (fender bumper & hood)

had I gone off the road 6 ft past where I did, I would have hooked the right front tire on the guardrail and flipped the car- would have landed upside down in the ditch- instant death for me..

had I been going 10mph faster, I would have kept sliding and the car would have slid down an embankment and landed in a creek about 8ft deep. I stopped about 15ft short of that (because I hit the tree most likely)..

$4300 in damage and a month in the shop..
Old 11-08-2000, 08:14 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't know what is considered "worst" or bad...

You people should also mention all those times you floored it or chirped tires as one of those bad things too then eh?

Well, I did like 3 neutral drops on my poor automatic tranny, drove on a wet road and hit the brakes, locked up, slid and hopped onto the curb, knocked my alignment out of place and ****. Tranny died but I drove it 20 miles home going 45+ in 2nd gear. Also, what I consider the worst... Before the tranny died it took it about 2 seconds to fully shift from Park to reverse, or drive to reverse, so I got out of school and was in a rush, I was pulling out of a tight parking spot and shifted into reverse, then without letting the tranny fully egage into reverse I gave it a little gas, underestimated as the car shifted and boosted forwards and I hot some old *** SUV with my right corner, shattered my headlight/corner assembly and bent some of the metal beams in the engine well which the headlight is attached to, slightly bent the Fender as well, had to use bootleg mechanic methods with my dad to straighten it all out and replaced the headlight/corner assembly.. Saved me over 800$ work though
Old 11-08-2000, 08:59 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I was playing around on a wet road after installing my rear sway bar, gunned it around a small turn, rear end came out from under me toward the ditch, I corrected and it went the other way and I spun around three times in the road before hitting a 4x4 wood post concreted into the ground with my driver's fender right infront of the door. That spun me on off the road and the rear end passenger's side clipped a phone poll and crushed the rear end while the 4x4 post got trapped under my car and ripped my entire exhuast system off. I ended up paying like $8 in property damages, the people were really nice, there was like 3 families involved, they said it happens in that turn at least twice a year. The damage to the car was like $2,400. It would've been more but I paid cash.
Old 11-08-2000, 09:06 PM
Stikfigure

it just rained and the road was nice and wet. i did a right handed e-barke slide around a corner. i forgot about the island that was there so i over corrected hit a dry spot and slammed the car into a curb on the passenger side. it bent my ball joint, control arm, both bearings, and both struts. it drives a little strange to say the leaste and im fixing it this weekend.
another dumb thing i did was not contact my insurance when my friend backed into my car, insted i let him buy me parts(headlight and corner light), he bought me the cheapest generic parts out there. i didnt put those in my car and i ended up buying my own parts. i will never do that again.
josh

Old 11-08-2000, 11:26 PM

wow its cool that you guys pay in the 2000 and 4000 to fix your cars. its funny that most of these are one car accidents too.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Worst thing was to let myself to my own major repairs. Scares the crap outa me everytime.
Old 11-09-2000, 05:56 AM

I floored my car in Reverse one time and smashed into some lady's Toyota Tercel. Pushed her fender into her wheel and strut, she had to get towed. Lifted both cars off the ground and slid them a couple feet. And this was just backing out of a stall cause their was a 4-runner double parked and i got pissed and mashed it.
All it did to my car was break the driver side tail light out, scratch my bumper, and bent the body maybe a 1/4 of an inch right where the tail light wraps around the rear fender. It had to give somewhere so it pushed that out not even a 1/4 of an inch.

Then there was one time i was working on my mom's Altenator (once again a Toyota bah!) and got pissed and went to throw a rachet extension into the yard cussing, and when i threw it, it hit my pinky and went straight down into the hood of my car. One point hit the hood, the other hit the windshield cracking it to hell.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:20 AM

Blew a hole the size of a nickel into the exhaust valve of cylinder #1 - nitrous was running too lean (timing was a little too far advanced). Blew the **** out of all the spark plugs and lost all compression in the one cylinder.

Let's just say I was blessed it was top end and not bottom end that needed working on! All the same, it's nice to see Max can take that punishment and come back from the dead for more 3#-)

Old 11-09-2000, 11:44 AM

In the first six months of my driving career I side swipped a barn and totaled my first max by hitting a tree and my second max doing about 110 lost conrtol and slammed into a 18 wheeler did a 640 into the guardrails. Boy do I wish I had collision insurance! Came out of all accidents with out a scratch. No seatbelt
Checkout homepage for a pic

[Edited by JDwyer2821 on 11-09-2000 at 01:49 PM]
Old 11-09-2000, 11:56 AM

When it was still my moms car, and completely stock I went through a U-turn lane under the freeway way to fast, and ran it into one of the concrete pole. Luckuly no one was hurt bad, and the damage was mostly body damage to the front passenger side. $4000 damage.
Old 11-09-2000, 12:29 PM

If you hadn't heard the story here it is....

I have the worse luck of anyone. I killed my max. It all started when I tried to fix my broken exhaust studs, the fronts were no prob the rears were. So I pulled the heads so I can fix them. Somewhere during the installation a 1/4 drive 1.5" extention fell into my #5 cylinder. After I installed everything I gave the key a turn and heard the clunk. So I pull the timing covers and find an ate up timing belt, pull the head and find this extention in there with a bent intake valve and bad valve seat. Of course my dumb *** didn't take the head to a shop to have the valve reseated. So my car was running on 5 cylinders (compression wise) it was hesistating, stumbling idle, but it got the same gas mileage WTH??. So now I decide to get an extra set of heads to keep downtime to a minumin. I drop the heads off at SGP to get ported and a valve job. Since I was doing all this I bought a new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, painted my (timign cover, valve covers and water pump pulley) red, bought some ISKY cams, new lifters, cam oil seals, new radiator (orginal one went sour). This time I took my sweet time (4 days) to put my engine back together. After I broke in the cams (holding engine at 2500rpm with no load for 25 mins) I drove it around. After some issues with ignition timing (I swear setting the timing is a PITA) I got it dialed in. So during my test drive I noticed that I was getting hella torque steer now that I have full compression in all 6 cylinders. Also toppend was greatly improved with no loss in lowend torque. My torque convertor was able to supply 3000rpm launches while my mods keep the engine pulling to 6500rpm. Matter of fact at 5000rpm I could feel the amount of torque the engine still had, it pulled at 5500rpm like the stock engine did at 4500rpm. So I park the car at home and tell everyone how fun the max is now. Well I get hungry and decide to run to the local burger king. This is when it all happened. I was driving back then all of a sudden my dash lights, fogs go out. Only my headlights are on so I can't see my dash real good. I turned on my interior light so it helps a bit, this is around 9pm houston time. Its a nice cool nite so I decide to see how fast this car could go. So I stomp the pedal at 75 and my car pulls from 4000rpm in 3rd to 6550rpm. After I pegged the speedo I let off the gas to slow down then I notice my engien isn't responding at all. It continues to lose speed until it stops on side of the road then I hear "metallic rattling" while slowing down. At this time I'm like ohh s*** something is f*****. After I get the car home and pull the plugs I find that my #2 plug is destroyed and the piston is messed up too (no compression). Also there seems to be a slight knock from the bottomend when I turned the crank. I come to find out there was a coolant leak I didnt know about. Apparently I didn't buy new head bolts so the gasket blew. Coolant filled cylinder number 2 and probably bent the rod and mess up the piston. Which means at minumim the engien needs to be rebuilt. I did some research and found out that the VG30E costs just as much as a VG30ET does. Also it appears to be a crack in the cylinder head around the number 2 plug hole. I checked my old heads and they don't have the same crack. So the engine is toast. I have put to much into the car to sell it. I can't sell it either because my dad had used the title for a loan. The loan isn't paid back it will be a while before it can be paid back. Even if I could have sold it its worth only $400-600 with a bad engine, the tranny and TC is worth that much alone. Since I needed a work car I started looking around for one. I just happened to run across a very good deal on a sentra. for a work car its very fun to drive (hehe), it suspension is set up for the autoX and road racing. Something my max would have never been compeditive on. Now that I have a dialy driver I can put in a new engine to fix my max. Now I could have bought another VG30E and been driving the max but I have the chance to put in a stronger engine with greater potential. If my VG30E hadn't died I was going to track and dyno test it the following week. I knew that the car could have ran high 15's sec ET's since I ran low 16's with just intake, exhaust, UDP and 60mm TB. I was going to put a JWT 65 shot NOS kit on it too. Which would have had me in the low 15's or high 14's with traction. On the tombstone it reads Birth 5/87, Death 9/00 with 222,470.4 miles on the odo. Cause of death: F*** ups on my part, impatience, bad luck, accidents. This was my first car it had 190k miles on it when I got it from my dad. I didn't even mod it till 192k was on the odo. With just $700 in mods it went from a 17.3 at 78.0 stock to a 16.312 at 80.86 (I shifted 2-3 at 6500 by accident). I never got the chance to track test the TC or heads/cams. My suggestion to everyone is have the tools and FSM whenever you do work on your car! Its ashame it took me a bent intake valve and ate up timing belt to figure that out .
Old 11-09-2000, 01:41 PM
SeR

this didn't happen to me but...

one guy i know with a max who took it to 170 kph on the freeway and took a turn too fast, slid into the wall (not the gaurd rails) and flipped the car two times before hitting the ground again, at which point he did two or three spins .... you couldn't even tell it was a max afterwords...and the most amazing part of all is that he made it out of the crash without any serious injuries, not ONE broken bone. He did see a chiropractor for a week or so but if you saw the crash....fhew!
Old 12-18-2000, 08:22 PM
Foo90SE

I know this post is old but i saw this and just had to respond
One night after my g/f i was madly in love with broke up with me, i decided to take it out on the max...i went and drove over 'speed humps' at 45mph...and went over a total of about 10 of them. Front end was nose-diving to the ground...wasnt nice...but at the time i didnt care. I also got airborne jumping a nice hill in my subdivision.
Now i have to replace my control arms tho and i still dont have the girl back so no good came out of that

Old 12-18-2000, 08:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well......

First I raced my friend's Contour, beat him and then tried to make a sharp 90 degree turn at a ridiculous speed, and went "Cops" style into somebody's front yard mssing a stop sign and tree stunp by inches. F'ed up the alingment and undgerbody & $4gs of damages taught me a lot about being stupid!!! besdies constantly running the gas on E, thats about it, my Max has had a rather calm life!!!(*knock on wood*)!!!
Old 12-18-2000, 10:14 PM

lol i am lucky i guess

the worst thing that ever happened to my max was sometimes when i sleep at night and wake up next morning to go to work i find out that birds have pooped on my hood and sometimes other parts too. damage estimate...50 cents at car wash to wash hood and other dirty parts of car. and oh yeah, one time a dog also pissed on my tire.
Old 12-18-2000, 10:25 PM

Guardrail + Maxima @ 65mph = 8 weeks

I killed my 1992 Maxima SE by slamming it into a concrete reenforced guard rail doing 65. I fell asleep and came off a shallow turn and made a beeline for a bridge abutment, luckily there was a guard rail there to stop me before I slammed into several tons of rebarred concrete.

I ended up breaking my kneecap; my femur in 5 places; punched my hip ball through the socket, shattering it into 5 pieces; and broke 2 bones in my wrist.

I spent 4 weeks in the hospital having 2 surgeries to rebuild my leg, I'm pretty much solid metal from below my right knee to well above my right hip. After another 4 weeks in intensive rehab, I can finally walk again without a walker or crutches, but even with outpatient rehab, I still have a serious limp.

So what did I do? I went out and bought a 1993 SE of course! Muhahahahahaha!
Old 12-19-2000, 09:18 AM
davis449

OK. My story is really long, but I'll keep it short. Sophomore year in H.S. I got backed into by some piece of **** Ford Ranger and he took off; and I also cut the wheels to soon when backing out of a parking place at some apartments one night and hit a Ford power stroke crinklng my passenger side fender. Junior year had a baseball thrown at the passenger side rear panel. I also have various dents and dings throughout my car that total to about $4000. Haven't had a SINGLE one fixed in three years. A bra is covering the piece of **** Fords Ranger's damage and all the rest is visible. After the first of the year my car goes into the shop and ALL will be fixed and I will have a brand new black paint job on the car. But even with the damage I still love her nonetheless.

Old 12-19-2000, 10:36 AM
Foo90SE

Ohh..yeah..an addition to mine above is i let a 13 year old drive my car..he backed it into a basketball goal

Old 12-19-2000, 10:41 AM

I cant believe all the damage you have done to your cars, Im shocked! You all must have alot of money for all these mods and repairs, after reading that list I cant think of anything Ive done to my max, cept the time i hit an old parked bronco and it rocked back and forth a couple times, luckily it didnt leave a mark!
Old 12-19-2000, 12:53 PM

I ran over a chicken once cruising down a farm road.. Had to clean the guts and feathers off. I guess he thought I would stop and I thought he would move. Guess we were both wrong.
Old 12-19-2000, 02:50 PM

damage

my max...

I was just out cleaning the snow off of it and I was in a hurry and the brush came down too quick and the scraping part hit the mirror and added a nice scratch...god dangit.

other cars/stupidity...

i ahve a permit and never driven a manual before, so my friend let me drive his old mitsubishi pos aroudn the neighborhood, i pulled into a driveway to turn aorund and when i backed down ym toher friend came out of no where in his talon and slammed into the side of me. $2500 for both cars, and I get my license delayed another 2 months. The POS Mitsu. is only worht $800 and we got screwed (very long story!) and had to pay $1400 in repairs for it.

PJ
Old 12-19-2000, 03:09 PM

Re: damage

ok not to sound like a ****, but alot of you are dumba$$es. SEriously. OH i wonder why my motor blew after driving it and pegging the throttle like 20 miles after a rebuild, and oh yea i like took a corner at 90. GEEZE guys, take it easy. you guys got out without a scratch, but you could kill someone. save the rippin around for the track. Now those of you that have gotten hit in parking lots, or backed into and stuff. I have a ton of sympathy for you, and for they guy that scratched his car cleaning snow off, i just did that! Bud to hear "yea i foored it in reverse out of a parking space" HOW DUMB DO YOU HAVE TO BE! I mean seriously. i mean, i hear about people ripping around fast and i have NO sympathy for them. they should have their maximas taken away and be given 3 cylinder GEO's. This is dangerous guys. It's not a joke. DON'T BE DUMB!
Old 12-19-2000, 03:17 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: damage

You don't approve of street racing, blah, blah, blah...but in your sig you say <b>you beat a "wimpy new Accord", was that on the track???</b> and then you talk about pegging it at 145mph, hmmmmm......just curious....

[Edited by DA-MAX on 12-19-2000 at 05:20 PM]
Old 12-19-2000, 04:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: damage

yea man, on striaght and level ground dude, i don't think i'm not dumb enough to nail it out of a parking lot and kill grandma in her toyota
Old 12-19-2000, 06:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Why did the Chicken Cross the Road?

Hitting a chicken!! HaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! How Funny! I can relate though. I hit a friggen COW once near my parents house. It's butt and hind legs came up over the front hood and it went MOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I checked, and not a scratch or I would've called the cops and hunted down that farmer! (they are liable you know!) I hit a couple of birds too. They're really slow in the morning! Cluck.....Cluck....MOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! lol
Old 12-19-2000, 08:50 PM

The Worst thing i ever did to my Max was probly, Cut my factory springs. ever since i did that it had never been the same. like yall have probly heard i hear that huge bang on my front right spring strut area. it sucks, it happens every time i make a hard left turn goin kinda fast, and when i hit a big pot hole or somethin. i dont recommend it. i checked my bump stop and the mechanic said he couldnt find it or it looked fine. could someone give me some info on where it is or how to check it... thanks
Old 12-20-2000, 05:56 PM

damn, I feel left out. I never did anything with my Max LOL

I'll push it off the cliff and top all of you!
Old 12-20-2000, 08:19 PM

Definitely outgunned!

I've only had my Max a couple months, but I've put almost 8000 miles on it (about to hit 100K). hmmm.... dumb stuff I've done.... well I left the hood open a bit too long when it was 25 degrees outside, and the old factory hood struts were giving out, and the hood slammed shut. Good thing I had no tools or anything laying on the strut towers!

I've done a couple of nice burnout and e-brake slides (in the snow of course). almost hit a curb peeling out of a carwash But I lifted and the tires grabbed again.

My Max has lived a relatively boring life comparatively speaking!!!
Old 12-20-2000, 08:20 PM

D*** Birds...

Well before I actually owned my max, it was my mom's car. So one day she was driving around with the windows down and I was in the passenger seat and a d*** bird hit the side mirror and flew inside the car and landed behind the passenger seat. Luckily the bird was dead or we would have had a serious situation on our hands (just imagine a PO-ed bird flying around in you max). Anyways, my mom freaked out and thank God she didn't wreck the car. We pulled over and I got the bird out. Funny thing is that my mom also had a Miata at the time and she was driving it around previous to the above incident with the top down and hit a bird and the bird fell inside the car. It landed in between the seats and scared the crap out of her. I was in the car once again and I had to dispose of the poor thing. Now the car is mine and to continue the saga, I hit a bird on the highway the other day. Poor thing, I thought it would fly far far away, but the stupid thing was too slow (it thought I was a civic) and it got a mouth full of my grill. Anyways, maybe I should change me member name to birdkiller or something. Well, that's my story, sorry that it wasn't as enthralling as the "I pegged my speedo and f***ed my car up" stories, which sound like something out of the movie "Dude, Where's My Car".
Old 12-21-2000, 06:18 AM
OG and counting...

The worst that Maxine has had to encounter

Truthfully, the worst thing that Maxine has had to encounter since I have owned her is this winter.
First of all, I have to park my car in the alley because they are in the process of plowing the streets. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the alleys.
Every morning when I leave for work, I am hearing the scraping of packed snow underneath my car (which is equivalent to the sound of raking your fingernails across a chalkboard). Secondly, I have had to gun my car in order to free it from being stuck on several occasions (one of them was after I helped another Maxima get free).

Before that, I accidentally backed Maxine into a fence. The only damage from that was scratches on the bumper which can be buffed out.

Prior to these incidents......

'87 Mark VII LSC:
Took off fast and blew the clutch packs for gears 2-3 in the tranny. Price: $2000. Pissed off father: Hell yeah!
Also, I got T-Boned by a Ford Van who decided that yellow meant speed up.

'88 Caprice:
Damn! Where do I begin? This car actually made me realize why the cops used them for so many years. Over the years I owned it, I have......

a) Hit more potholes than I cared to remember, thus screwing up the front end.

b) Drove the car hard, even with an oil leak (eventually led to the demise of the 305).

c) Did a little too much throttle steer and wound up tapping a fire hydrant with the back end of the car.

d) Car got stolen once, broken into once.

'86 S-10 Blazer:
Got into the worst accident of my life. This woman decides to do a "Hollywood Stop", cuts me off and I wind up T-boning her. Damage to the Blazer was $5500 because I wound up flipping my truck and flipped her car on its roof. Other than that, I had a blown head gasket (Ultimately caused the demise of the 2.8), destroyed ball joints from hopping medians and curbs as well as needed to replace a CV boot. After the Head Gasket, I decided to junk it.