3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Door Insulation Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM
94c Big Max

Door Insulation Leakage

The rubber weatherstrips that run along my doors on both sides (door & body) are cracking so moisture from the outside keeps getting into my car causing oily build up on my windows. It's been very inconvenient having to clean my windows weekly. Anyone knows where can I get the replacement weatherstrip? Is that what they call it? I couldn't find it anywhere since they have to be molded. Haven't called the dealer yet since I don't even know what they're called, it's probably ridiculously pricey. Obviously, I can't hit up the junkyard either since these guys are appearing to be dead glued to the frame and door, removing them will cause damage. Thus, making them unusable.

Last edited by bvtran; 03-13-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1747_1756.html

Looks like 80 bucks a pop for the front door weatherstripping. Or are you talking about the piece that runs along the roof-line?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1747_1750.html

Looks like it's 60 bucks a side.

How do you figure they're not removable/re-usable though? They come off and are re-usable. I wouldn't hesitate to use some good junkyard ones
Old 03-14-2011, 04:32 AM

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=8
http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=3
http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=2

Much cheaper here...better communication too. And it's not glued if you take the time to look at it closely dude.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 03-14-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Funny thing, I called up this JY and they got a 94SE that is getting crushed next week so I flew down there and grabbed some goodies including said weather strips. It was missing the driver side door though . Clean looking engine with tranny (auto) is mine for $300. Should I?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Funny thing, I called up this JY and they got a 94SE that is getting crushed next week so I flew down there and grabbed some goodies including said weather strips. It was missing the driver side door though . Clean looking engine with tranny (auto) is mine for $300. Should I?
Will they let you take just the engine for cheaper or will they not sell it separately? Otherwise what would you do with the auto tranny?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Will they let you take just the engine for cheaper or will they not sell it separately? Otherwise what would you do with the auto tranny?
Same price with or without the tranny. I dropped in the other tranny in the VE today...what a difference, along with clutch kit, EMPI axles, rear main seal and PS pump, I ended up not changing the high pressure hose. It wasn't leaking and I really don't like the aftermarket stuff, it looks too different from OEM. Tomorrow I'm going for the engine .
Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Same price with or without the tranny. I dropped in the other tranny in the VE today...what a difference, along with clutch kit, EMPI axles, rear main seal and PS pump, I ended up not changing the high pressure hose. It wasn't leaking and I really don't like the aftermarket stuff, it looks too different from OEM. Tomorrow I'm going for the engine .
Nice! What was wrong with the other tranny? (you probably told me but I don't remember )

Yeah, if the line wasn't leaking I wouldn't touch it. The aftermarket lines (especially RockAuto close-out) are really nice prices but every one I've had you just can't ever quite get ALL the whining out. You'll always have very faint whining when turning the wheel fully one way or another. It's faint, but enough to bug you if you're listening for it.

One guy on here years ago figured out that the aftermarket lines always whine because they're missing some minuscule restrictor valve or something IIRC.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Nice! What was wrong with the other tranny? (you probably told me but I don't remember )

Yeah, if the line wasn't leaking I wouldn't touch it. The aftermarket lines (especially RockAuto close-out) are really nice prices but every one I've had you just can't ever quite get ALL the whining out. You'll always have very faint whining when turning the wheel fully one way or another. It's faint, but enough to bug you if you're listening for it.

One guy on here years ago figured out that the aftermarket lines always whine because they're missing some minuscule restrictor valve or something IIRC.
Tranny had a noisy ISB, leaking oil and just felt old. The LSD wasn't working either.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
94c Big Max

on a second thought before I mess around with the weatherstrip, do you guys think it's even appropriate to change them? Over the weekend, I pour some water over the doors & windows, there were no leakage. However, I still keep getting grease build up on all inner windows glasses. I've tried all sort of windows cleaners (Windex, dishwashing soap, Turtle, Amorall, Stoner Invisible, Vinegar, Newspaper, Microfiber, etc..). And I'm still getting ridiculous waxy/greasy buildup. It seems to be going out of control unless I clean my windows once a week or I won't be able to see. I have no idea what is causing this problem, I've never leave my windows down after I left the car either. Anyone knows a solution I can try?

Last edited by bvtran; 03-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Its probably condensation. Is your heater core alright? Or do know?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
94c Big Max

There is no leak in my heater & evaporative cores. Those are new, I've changed both cores last year. Also, I live in AZ which is very low in humidity because it rarely rains here except for the summer time. It could be my leather seat evaporating. I notice serious cracking has been forming ever since I move here 4 years ago and it just gets worst. I don't even use any conditioners on them either, well it's too late. But how could leather seat be causing greasy film buildup on the windshield, I've never heard of that before.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM

Its some chemical reaction. I do know that much. What it may be? Time will tell.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Do you smoke?

Do you armor all and/or treat your dash? If so thats likely the culprit. The only time ive ever had weird oily film is when I armor all the dash and get some on the windows. Ive read under certain conditions that armor all (and similar products) can routinely cause the film on the windows due to a reaction like maximo mentioned.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 PM
94c Big Max

no, I don't smoke. I've never treated my dash or leather seat with polish material either. The amorall stuffs that I've used was designed for glass cleaning.