3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wiring up a Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Wiring up a Sound System

I have a 12" and a 10" sub in a box in my trunk I have all the wiring from the amp running under the carpet though the car but I'm puzzed as to where to run the power wire to the battery. I'm trying to find a way to do it without drilling a hole in the firewall, and right now its just running along the front driver side door jam and I cant stand to look at it any longer. Is there any advice available?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM

Find where nissan ran the stock wiring through the firewall, it will be through a rubber type thing. You just poke a hole in it and run the power wire there.

I can't help you on locating that though. I know when I did this to my 5th gen, it was behind the drivers side wheel and I ended up doing a really clean installation. Start looking under the dash or go into the engine bay and I'm sure you'll find it.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

if you drive an auto, you can find the plate where the clutch would go, and drill a hole there.make sure you use a grommet on the wire.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM

no no no, take off the driver side wheel and wheel splash guard. Feed the wire to the fender under the hood strut. Next, you would see the grommet where you can shove your power wire into when you have taken out the splash guard ( I got my 4 awg in there). Next go inside and take out the side plastics and pull your power wire through. 30 min job since i have done this twice.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's better to drill the hole. Running the wire through the fender is unsafe and can cause a short or wire overheating and burning. I've seen many people doing this and a some sorry..most get away with it. If you are doing something, do it correct the first time

Tx
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by khemraj1999
It's better to drill the hole. Running the wire through the fender is unsafe and can cause a short or wire overheating and burning. I've seen many people doing this and a some sorry..most get away with it. If you are doing something, do it correct the first time

Tx
my system has been running for the past 3 years with at least 500watt rms, and alot of people here has been doing the same. I don't see a harm unless you use like 16 AWG cables for a 1000watt system.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by coolsun
my system has been running for the past 3 years with at least 500watt rms, and alot of people here has been doing the same. I don't see a harm unless you use like 16 AWG cables for a 1000watt system.
Mine isnt pulling a whole lot of power, the lights really dont even dim when the bass hits. I'm gonna try what coolsun suggested tomorrow, no time today
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by coolsun
no no no, take off the driver side wheel and wheel splash guard. Feed the wire to the fender under the hood strut. Next, you would see the grommet where you can shove your power wire into when you have taken out the splash guard ( I got my 4 awg in there). Next go inside and take out the side plastics and pull your power wire through. 30 min job since i have done this twice.
This is what I was referring to.

Running it under the fender wont cause any kinds of shorting, why would all the stock wiring be put there then? Run it through there just like the stock wires are and you'll be fine.

Drilling a hole is irreversible and may cause corrosion down the road.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM

My system does not draw alot of power either, I dont see the lights dim or anything like that. Ive got 2 15s and an audiphonics amp, which says its 1000 watts but I know its not really pushing that much. I am currently running a 8 to 10awg power wire and negative wire, just until I get a bigger amp though, Ive already got a 4awg kit, but not installing it yet. My trunk rattles and rattles something else under the car or somewhere when the bass really hits! Gotta figure out how to eliminate some of the unpleasant rattling lol! I ran my power wire through the top side of the driver side fender and along the driver side door. Feels good to have some beat in the MAX!!