3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Somethings draining my battery, and wallet :/

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Somethings draining my battery, and wallet :/

Soooo ive been letting my brother drive my 91 around for the past few weeks while his transmission in his truck was being fixed... last week "supposivly" he left the lights on when he got home and killed the battery... no biggy...

So he went out with out telling me and got a brand new optima battery to replace my optima that i bought last year..he installed it him self at napa and the car wouldnt start... so he gave me a call at work and i rushed down there to help him out thinking it was something simple...He DID something god knows what to it im thinking he crossed terminals when either jumping it or swapping the batterys but he blew my fuel pump fuse...

Now he isnt the most mechanically inclined person so instead of checking fuses he just kept cranking it over and over thus causing my injectors to start drying up and now i have a constent missfire on #6...but anyway i checked the battery last week while it was running and the battery was steady draining so today i went out and bought a new alternater...It didnt solve the problem and battery was still losing charge.

Also my dash lights wont come on untill i hit the gas pedal once.... WTH could be the problem fellas??!!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:08 AM

Your brother apparently
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
Also my dash lights wont come on untill i hit the gas pedal once.... WTH could be the problem fellas??!!
that cant be right ,i do know the check engine light will come on
when pushing the gas pedal but only if the ecu is in mode 2
(switches on\off mode)this is useful for installing tps sensors
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM

thx maxkiller that really helps out alot -.- when i find time ima go out there and check the hot going to the alternator and the ground also...im wondering if 1 of the 4 plugs on the positive harness right at the battery went bad... who knows if all else fails ima take it to 1 of these shops that advertise free charging system checks...
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM

A grounded wire possibly? Or ask a mechanic for a complete electrical diagnosis.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

i was trying to install a stereo before and i had my battery connected. so long story short i ended up touching the rca cables to something and they shorted out somehow. replaced the cables and there's been no problem since. so all that to say this change (or add to) the positive wire from bat to the alt and your ground wires. this is a cheap guess.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 AM

thx maxkiller that really helps out alot -.- when i find time ima go out there and check the hot going to the alternator and the ground also...im wondering if 1 of the 4 plugs on the positive harness right at the battery went bad... who knows if all else fails ima take it to 1 of these shops that advertise free charging system checks...
Remove your negative cable and inspect all connector for cleaniness, security, if you're blowing a fuel pump fuse you have a short in your f/p wiring harness or f/p itself!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM

well it blew the f/p fuse when it happond at first but since then ive replaced all the fuses and none have blown so im guessing it happond when he was swapping the battery or maybe he crossed terminals when he was jumping it.. who knows.. but yesterday i took my old alternator and new alternator to napa to get them bench tested and both stores(north/south) neither's tester was working so i just got them to order me up a new 1 coming wednesday... but also i was looking at my old alty compared tot he new 1, my old 1 has a little solinoid lookign thing on the back of it with a wire extending out to the post that i hook my harness up too, the new 1 did not have this on it would that have anythign to do with it not working properly??
Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM

just got back in from working on the car, i put that little solidnoid on the alternator inststalled it and put my new plug wires on to see if it would help with that missfire...i got it running went to the store and put gas in it along with a bottle of stp injector cleaner... i go to check fuses and the tailight fuse is blown... i replace it and check it again and the damn thing is reading 16.65 volts??!!! my battery is holding steady at 11.75 volts how the hell is that 1 fuse reading 16 v?? the terminals at the tailights where the bulbs go in all ohme out, but im not getting any voltage running through the body.. you think its a hot wire on another wire??
Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
LvR

just got back in from working on the car, i put that little solidnoid on the alternator inststalled it and put my new plug wires on to see if it would help with that missfire...i got it running went to the store and put gas in it along with a bottle of stp injector cleaner... i go to check fuses and the tailight fuse is blown... i replace it and check it again and the damn thing is reading 16.65 volts??!!! my battery is holding steady at 11.75 volts how the hell is that 1 fuse reading 16 v?? the terminals at the tailights where the bulbs go in all ohme out, but im not getting any voltage running through the body.. you think its a hot wire on another wire??
Any reading on any fuse or connection on the vehicle found to be higher than the battery (measured on the fat terminals) is a sure indicator your alternator is not properly connected to the battery ............................ check bad ground wires, bad terminals, bad wires etc etc etc. There should be (at full alternator load - switch on everything you can in the vehicle) around 0.2V maximum difference between the voltage on the alternator and the battery - no more. Absolutely sort this issue first

16.65V measured anywhere on the vehicle is a already problem waiting to happen in itself - you don't want to see anything more than around 14.5V ............. if you do get the battery voltage close to the alternator output and the 16.65 is still present you have a funky regulator in the alternator.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Alright good to know man, i had a feeling the alty that i bought was a dud but wasnt sure thats y i went ahead and got them to order another 1 that ill throw in this week... ill also go ahead and trace the wires from the alty back to the battery and see if anything is burnt/shorted or w/e...