3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

transmission fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 10:43 PM

transmission fluids?

hey all,

i was wondering if some of you have any reccomendations on transmission fluids for the automatic models?

reason i ask is that my owners manual reccomends dexron II or equivalent. i know that in some transmissions by other companies rated for II, dexron III blends will end up ruining the torque converter. is this true for the nissan transmissions. i know these automatics seem to be kind of fragile...

would a fluid such as the quaker state 'import blend' help to preserve this thing?

also, i'm a bit short of funds for a full transmission flush and refill, but when i do is going the synthetic route reccomended or no?

thanks!
*jared
Old 12-27-2001, 05:51 AM

The owner's manual has been superceeded by TSB's calling for Dexron III. For half the price of Mobil 1, you can use one of the Valvoline synthetic blend ATF's (Durablend (?) or Maxlife).
Old 12-27-2001, 09:20 AM
STFU n00b!

As brubenstein said, jsut use a quality synthetic blend like the Valvoline stuff. they're about $2.50/quart here.

What I did when I drained mine in my auto was to drain what I could out, then refill. drive about a week and do it again.
you'll need about 8 quarts to do that, which isn't much money overall and you can do it in your driveway instead of going to Jiffy lube and paying $100 for a complete flush.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:45 AM

I think he might have a point on Dex II v. Dex III and synthetics. They have different viscosities. Dex II > Dex III > synthetics in thickness. I've not changed over to synthetic on my new Max. auto tranny, but on the Menz, the shift is not a harsh. Is it good or a sign of slipping? I really don't know.

Dex II are not ready available at auto shops, but can be obtained at heavy truck services centers. Been told by pet. tech. that Dex III usage kills many HD truck trannys.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:39 PM

I no longer have access to copies of all the TSBs, so I can't cite the specific number, but Nissan issued a Technical Service Bulletin stating that ATF meeting the specifications for Dexron III (this includes Mobil 1 ATF) should be used in out transmissions.
So you can base you decission on what some guy says about HD truck transmissions, or you can take Nissian's recommendations. It's you car, knock yourself out.

Originally posted by OnTheRoad
I think he might have a point on Dex II v. Dex III and synthetics. They have different viscosities. Dex II > Dex III > synthetics in thickness. I've not changed over to synthetic on my new Max. auto tranny, but on the Menz, the shift is not a harsh. Is it good or a sign of slipping? I really don't know.

Dex II are not ready available at auto shops, but can be obtained at heavy truck services centers. Been told by pet. tech. that Dex III usage kills many HD truck trannys.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by brubenstein
I no longer have access to copies of all the TSBs, so I can't cite the specific number, but Nissan issued a Technical Service Bulletin stating that ATF meeting the specifications for Dexron III (this includes Mobil 1 ATF) should be used in out transmissions.
So you can base you decission on what some guy says about HD truck transmissions, or you can take Nissian's recommendations. It's you car, knock yourself out.

What thinking that since Dex II is not ready avail. that Dex III will work but not as good. Possible Nissian is in the bus. of selling car, that the spec. were to last 12 months, 24 months or when ever the waranty is up and buyer don't get too ****ed over a replacement.

Any hard data on tranny life with Dex III over Dex II? I know they both work. The dealers are hesitant to put in synthetic.

Many of the "gas conservation" oils didn't do too well for engine life. Great on milegage, but poor on wear. The dealer has always used 10W/30 instead of 5W/30. My chevy also didn't like the 5W/30.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:07 PM

The 1991 Maxima FSM only specifies "Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent type Dexron". The most current TSB for ATF is: 98-042, MAY 98 Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Having worked as a mechanic in car and motorcycle dealerships, I would say that the level of technical sophistication is: "According to Old Joe..", or "That's the way we've always done it".
If one were to actually look up the specifications of synthetic and regular ATF, it would be obvious to the casual observer why the synthetic is superior. "Old Joe" still doesn't trust multi-weight oil. You expect him to use synthetic lubricants?