3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

vg30 lower intake spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM

vg30 lower intake spacers

Just was browsing ebay and came across this...anyone tried them?..I know other from this product, thiers no other spacers for our style intake. Just wondering if these really make a difference. Thanks for the input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-94-Maxima-VG30E-Heat-Shield-High-Perform-Racing-HP-/320744767459
Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Those are just gaskets not spacers. Much like hondata for hondas. Not much gain but Im sure will have a very little differance in IAT if any.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Aaron supposedly doesn't make the manifold spacers for you all anymore. Demand was too low. That was the one if any that worked. You can give him a call or pm and see if he has a set lying around.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by akurtzer57
Those are just gaskets not spacers. Much like hondata for hondas.
wtf? Hondata is a tuning system for Hondas like Nistune, not gaskets
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by akurtzer57
Those are just gaskets not spacers. Much like hondata for hondas. Not much gain but Im sure will have a very little differance in IAT if any.
Actually those aren't just "gaskets" - it specifically says in the ad they're polymer and thermal insulated - meaning they are essentially the same thing as Aaron's spacers. They don't LOOK to be as thick, so you won't get the longer runner type effect as Aarons but we don't know for sure how thick they are so we don't even know that for sure.

The majority of of the benefit from these anyway is the lower intake temps, and these should do the job. And you certainly can't beat that price..

And also, like chromey said, Hondata is a programmable ECU for Honda's..
Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by chrome91
wtf? Hondata is a tuning system for Hondas like Nistune, not gaskets
Please don't post when you don't know what you are talking about just cause you are bored or want to up your post count. Infact go post on supra board and mislead their members instead of mine.

Hondata has been a long time manufacture of insulating intake manifold gaskets for all kinds of cars in addition to their honda/acura tuning ECUs and tools.

The ebay link the OP posted says the intake gaskets he supplies are "thermal insulating polymer" which is hard to determine from his picture. However they are clearly not the OEM unit with rubber around the ports so he may have a legitimately insulating set of gaskets. He also states his gaskets can be reused over and over further supporting his claim.

I would clarify that he is selling a set of 2 for $36.99 which would be cheaper than stock and a great deal. I would personally order a set if this is the case even though Aaron's trial VG set didnt make a large difference. My intercooler never gets hot (even when I try to heat soak it) but my intake manifold gets hot as F so I'm sure it could make a large difference for those boosted.

EDIT for link to Hondata intake gaskets.
http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

Last edited by Maxpwer; 08-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
EDIT for link to Hondata intake gaskets.
http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html
Wow, news to me. And I was all over the Honda scene back 10 years or so ago when Hondata was all the rage and somehow never heard of these. I would venture to think that these gaskets came about AFTER the ECU type stuff, though, no? Otherwise the name would be a play gaskets or something instead

And yeah, Aaron is my boy, and I actually bought the first ever officially for sale VE set, but I haven't noticed anything from my spacers. My IM seems just as hot as my non-spacer'd VE, and it certainly isn't at all cool to the touch.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Hondata has been a long time manufacture of insulating intake manifold gaskets for all kinds of cars
exactly why i figured tuning software, because "much like Hondata for Hondas" implied Honda only hence tuning software and not gaskets for Hondas/other cars
Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 PM

Only way to figure out if they work is to buy them and try them out yourself.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Wow, news to me. And I was all over the Honda scene back 10 years or so ago when Hondata was all the rage and somehow never heard of these. I would venture to think that these gaskets came about AFTER the ECU type stuff, though, no? Otherwise the name would be a play gaskets or something instead

And yeah, Aaron is my boy, and I actually bought the first ever officially for sale VE set, but I haven't noticed anything from my spacers. My IM seems just as hot as my non-spacer'd VE, and it certainly isn't at all cool to the touch.
I don't think Aaron's spacers are supposed to make it cool to the touch. Are they? I believe its something that would have to be tested with a thermometer than by hand.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018
I don't think Aaron's spacers are supposed to make it cool to the touch. Are they? I believe its something that would have to be tested with a thermometer than by hand.
Well, it's not the main point of the spacers to make it cool to the touch per se, but the main point IS to lower IM temps drastically. Going with that, many report IMs that are "cool to the touch" with the spacers as kind of anedoctal evidence to the lower temps. I was just saying my IM isn't cool to the touch and still feels as hot as my non-spacer'd VE. Maybe one of these days buy a laser thermometer and test. But, even if not "cool to the touch", a 40 degree drop in temp should be noticeable when directly comparing both of my VEs side by side.

Now, I'm certainly not saying the spacers "don't work" and I can't really fathom why I'd be seemingly the only person who hasn't had great/noticeable success with them, but that's been my experience so far

I will also add that I do NOT have the EGR delete installed. I have to pass emissions here so the EGR delete is not an option for me. I modified my EGR tube to fit with the spacers. Perhaps a large portion of the benefit actually stems from the EGR delete which would explain my seemingly lack of results. I'm sure preventing hot exhaust air from going back up into the IM would have a noticeable impact.

Last edited by James92SE; 08-21-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM

The best trick to cool your intake is to not allow the water to run thru your throttle body nor the upper plenum and run a CAI....I searched for the eBay listing on that item and never could find it....what page and item #? I would invest in it....the last kits the NWP Engineering offered for the VG's didn't have spacers that fit between the LIM and Heads, it was for the IAV and TB....that's it!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Well, it's not the main point of the spacers to make it cool to the touch per se, but the main point IS to lower IM temps drastically. Going with that, many report IMs that are "cool to the touch" with the spacers as kind of anedoctal evidence to the lower temps. I was just saying my IM isn't cool to the touch and still feels as hot as my non-spacer'd VE. Maybe one of these days buy a laser thermometer and test. But, even if not "cool to the touch", a 40 degree drop in temp should be noticeable when directly comparing both of my VEs side by side.

Now, I'm certainly not saying the spacers "don't work" and I can't really fathom why I'd be seemingly the only person who hasn't had great/noticeable success with them, but that's been my experience so far

I will also add that I do NOT have the EGR delete installed. I have to pass emissions here so the EGR delete is not an option for me. I modified my EGR tube to fit with the spacers. Perhaps a large portion of the benefit actually stems from the EGR delete which would explain my seemingly lack of results. I'm sure preventing hot exhaust air from going back up into the IM would have a noticeable impact.
I have the egr delete. So I guess I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maximo018
Aaron supposedly doesn't make the manifold spacers for you all anymore. Demand was too low. That was the one if any that worked. You can give him a call or pm and see if he has a set lying around.
partly was a demand thing. also he never made lower intake spacers for the VG set b/c he already suspected demand would be low, so the R&D costs of adding even more spacers to the VG kit would have made it far too expensive for anyone to buy it. just an economies-of-scale thing.

Actually those aren't just "gaskets" - it specifically says in the ad they're polymer and thermal insulated - meaning they are essentially the same thing as Aaron's spacers. They don't LOOK to be as thick, so you won't get the longer runner type effect as Aarons but we don't know for sure how thick they are so we don't even know that for sure.
on aaron's kits for the VQ engine, he has 1/8" spacers for the LIM-to-head gaskets, and 1/4" for the other gaskets.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
partly was a demand thing. also he never made lower intake spacers for the VG set b/c he already suspected demand would be low, so the R&D costs of adding even more spacers to the VG kit would have made it far too expensive for anyone to buy it. just an economies-of-scale thing.

on aaron's kits for the VQ engine, he has 1/8" spacers for the LIM-to-head gaskets, and 1/4" for the other gaskets.
Ah now I see.