3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd gen 5-speed swap help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM

3rd gen 5-speed swap help

So I have an 89 SE that has a bad motor and a bad title, someone took out a title loan on it and then broke the timming belt, then they dumpped it off on me. Im thinking about stripping it for whatever I can get out of it. I can pull everything needed to do a 5-speed swap but was wondering if it was worth the trouble or not. So what do you think? Is it worth pulling everything needed to do a swap? What all would I need to pull? Do you think I could sell the swap set? I have good shipping options at my work just dont know if it is all worth it and all. I kinda need a project anyways....???? hmmmmm.......
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Would you be willing to keep the car? If so its easier to swap in another motor. The way the 3rd gen crowd is now trying to sale that 5spd swap with no vlsd is gonna be hard. Not many enthusiast left. You do better keeping it and enjoying it. In the mean time while your out enjoying the car you can rebuild the old motor.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

well, kzoosho has been trying to dump a good vg5 swap for a good while now (for a bogusly low price), and not been successful.
the swap is WORTH $500, easily (trans, clutch/brake pedal setup, flywheel, and clutch, lines).
It's totally worth the time to swap out the 5-speed into the gxe, though. the auto saps up a good bit of the VG's power, and there's nothing like the feel of slamming through the gears.
edit: @maximo018
the tile issue is a killer. being that it has an uncleared lien on it, means the OP would need to pay that off to get the tile for the car (another reason not to buy a car without a clear title present at sale)

Last edited by BenStoked; 01-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 PM

@BenStoked, true about the title issue, the car was originally mine then I tried to help out my nephew and sold it to him for $500, which he never paid then took the title loan, (I felt it was safer to let him transfer it into his name rather than drive it around in my name) then he broke the timmiing belt and I had to go get it off the side of the road and he split town...... little SH%&*.... like I always say "no good dead goes unpunnished"...... I thought it would be nice to swap it into my GXE like you said, but then I would just want to go and build up an engine to marry it to...... dont really have the funds for all that. I think Im just gonna strip everything off the SE (and I mean everything) then push it into the street and wash my hands of it. That way I re-coop some of my lost $500........ I will hold all of the stuff in my shop and at least have the swap option at a later date, not to mention I still have three other Maxx's that could use the spare parts......
Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 PM

@Maximo018, I was totally going to go that route at first, I have a spare VG in the shop, swap out the broken one for the spare and Bat-a-boom, Bat-a bing, running VG 5-speed. That is untill I found out about the title loan......... good thing I didnt do all the work to get it running and then go down to the lic place and find out about the title loan then........ hahahaha.

I just cant wait to see the look on the face of title loans tow truck driver when I call them and tell them to come get their car after Im thru with it. .....hahahahaha
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by dadswieser
@Maximo018, I was totally going to go that route at first, I have a spare VG in the shop, swap out the broken one for the spare and Bat-a-boom, Bat-a bing, running VG 5-speed. That is untill I found out about the title loan......... good thing I didnt do all the work to get it running and then go down to the lic place and find out about the title loan then........ hahahaha.

I just cant wait to see the look on the face of title loans tow truck driver when I call them and tell them to come get their car after Im thru with it. .....hahahahaha
well good luck with that.