3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear strut upper mount bushing......

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Rear strut upper mount bushing......

For the past several years I've had this squeaking noise in the rear suspension any time the struts compress. The best way I can describe the noise is similar to when polyurethane suspension bushings start squeaking after a while. It’s not a metal on metal squeaking noise, but more of a rubber squeaking noise. It’s been a while since I installed the rear struts, so I don’t remember if I have that rubber bushing between the top of the spring and bottom of the perch. At first I thought it was the rear sway bar bushings (because they are poly) but I disconnected the bar and the noise was still there. I said screw it, I'll deal with it another time. Fast forward a couple years and since I’m now driving the car more often, the noise is really becoming annoying.

As anyone ever changed they upper strut bushing (front or rear) and what symptoms were you having that lead you to the bushing?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Stock, there's nothing on the rears. I had that problem with my Intrax springs back in the day and ended up having to wrap the top coil in clear vinyl tubing I picked up at Home Depot. I seem to recall several of us doing it back in the day but haven't heard anything about it in years. My springs are still wrapped in the clear tubing 10+ years later.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by James92SE
Stock, there's nothing on the rears. I had that problem with my Intrax springs back in the day and ended up having to wrap the top coil in clear vinyl tubing I picked up at Home Depot. I seem to recall several of us doing it back in the day but haven't heard anything about it in years. My springs are still wrapped in the clear tubing 10+ years later.
Now you got me scratching my head. It's been a while, but are you saying there's no upper strut mount in the rear? My springs are also Intrax, and just like you, I was thinking maybe the top coil need wraping.

Here'a video of a 97 front strut, my noise is similiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SQprYI_M9Y
Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

No I meant that there is no rubber in between the actual spring coil and the metal strut mount.

In the video you posted his strut mount is obviously bad, you can see all the movement with the shaft of the strut. If you're getting that noise I'd bet money on the strut mount as opposed to the coils making noise.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

I've come to the conclusion that the noise is from my rear lower control arm and trailing arm bushings. As a matter of fact, I think those are poly bushings that were installed over 10+ years ago. Because of the dirt I couldn't tell if they were regualr or poly bushings.

I took the rear wheels off and supported the suspension with jack stands. Had the wife jump up/down in the trunk while I was searching for the noise. It was definately not the upper strut mount.

I guess I'll drop the rear suspension and re-lube the bushings. Maybe I'll drill and tap grease zerk fittings into the housing for regular lubing.

I've called a few local parts stores and none of them had a complete kit in stock. Some had no bushings at all and others said they no longer carry them. Which leads me to another question, does any on-line vendor still offer a complete rear bushing kit for our cars? I rather go with regular instead of poly.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by CandiMan
I guess I'll drop the rear suspension and re-lube the bushings. Maybe I'll drill and tap grease zerk fittings into the housing for regular lubing.
putting zerk fittings in won't help the squeaking; it's the inner sleeve that twists inside, not the poly. the squeaking comes from the inner sleeve rubbing the poly without lube.
I see no feasible way to properly lube the bushings while not cutting the polyurethane. I may not be any type of engineer, but I suspect cutting the poly to allow a path for the grease to get to the inner sleeve would compromise the bushing, and cause it to work out of place in a bad way.
(hope this post makes sense; I haven't had enough sleep this weekend)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by BenStoked
putting zerk fittings in won't help the squeaking; it's the inner sleeve that twists inside, not the poly. the squeaking comes from the inner sleeve rubbing the poly without lube.
I see no feasible way to properly lube the bushings while not cutting the polyurethane. I may not be any type of engineer, but I suspect cutting the poly to allow a path for the grease to get to the inner sleeve would compromise the bushing, and cause it to work out of place in a bad way.
(hope this post makes sense; I haven't had enough sleep this weekend)
It does make sense, now I need to source a complete rear bushing kit. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Silence is golden, the squeaking is completely gone. Ben, once again you were correct. Taking a look at this pic from my CarDomain site, now I know exactly what I did way back then. Appearantly I must have gotten my hands on a pair of lateral link bars (by the way, they are not called lower control arm bars) with poly bushings. So I just purchase 4 more lateral link bushings and 4 track bar bushings to complete the installation. Since I had a pair of lateral links, I put one on each side. Hence the reason I started hearing squeaking on both sides.

Today I droped the rear cradle, 4 lateral bars and both track bars. Again, similar to this CarDomain pic from the install

I knock out the center pin from all the poly bushings (they came out easy) and re-lube the pin and ID of the bushings. While I had the pins out, I did drill, tap and installed jerk fittings into the bar. I made a hole through the bar, and bushing. So if I had to grease the bushing, the grease will go to the center of the bushing and hopefully around the pin to lube the contact point between the bushing and pin.

My grease gun was empty so I didn't have a chance to try my idea. But for now the bushings are quite and if it stays like that, I'll be happy even if I never have a chance to try my jerk fitting idea.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 AM

Well congratulations on solving your issue.