3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ok gona try this again

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM

ok gona try this again

im running a 93 maxima with a ve30de,has a T04E turbo @ 12psi everything on it ive had to build myself (see pics) but as we all know there is some stuff we cant build i need help finding parts can you help me out?

(ima copy and paste stuff from last time)

ok as of right now,
yup the turbo is on the car and it is running very good,now ill list **** for you
of the things ive bought NOT built
turbo,9-12psi external waste gate,braided feed line,oil line inlet and outlet flanges,inter cooler & duck work clamps that crap,oil pan flange for the return line,a/r & vac/boost gauges,voltage gauge
neoprene swing arm bushings
(im not counting body kit crap)
the ecu was pop tuned by a shop here in maine other then that i couldnt tell you what they did to it

im not here for bragging rights pissing contests about who spent the most money or paid a ton a cash for the new "cool" part im just asking for advise nothing more nothing less

so if you dont have any real advise why say anything at all? all im asking is things like what i should be running for injectors,TB that kinda stuff i really dont want to spend a bunch a cash on parts i dont need, i KNOW its leaning it self out on the top end and i also know there is a lot more HP i could gain so if you can give me some real advise please feel free i would fn love the help
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM

are you still using the stock ve ecu and what are your goals as far as the power you want to make
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM

yes its the stock ecu they guys at the shop "pop" tuned it and thats it my goals hp wise,as much as i can sneak out of it using whats there with out rebuilding it, it still has the stock 10-1 pistons so boost im pretty limited but fuel and tuning and that kinda stuff is all pretty much untouched from stock the exhaust is 2 1/2 duel from the cat back
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM

do you have a wideband a/f gauge and you may need to go to the junkyard and source some 550 top feed injectors and make a rail to use em or buy 550 side feed whats the rest of your exhaust from downpipe to cat are you still using a cat and from the cat it splits to duels and runs out back. are you using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM

the down pipe is 2 inch to the cat,the cat has been "fixed" then it splits into 2 1/2 out the back. the 550 injectors are the same as the 300zx? the red top ones? if they are thats what is in it when i changed them when i first got the car they couldnt get me the maxima injectors so i ordered those and put em in.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

i'm gonna guess that they pulled the ECU and reflashed it to better compensate it for the turbo. I would advise getting more info on how the retuned the ecu.
Since I'm on the subject of ECUs and tuning, I would advise an aftermarket unit.
Since you seem fond of BUILDING things yourself, I would recommend megasquirt, or NIStune. I expect that would reduce the cost of dyno tuning, since they wouldn't have to tweak, flash, install, test, remove, tweak, install, test....
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 PM

your downpipe needs to be 2.5" or 3" straight back to the duels and yea then get more info on this tune they say they do
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 PM

for a few hundred more you can get an aem fic so all you have to do is build modified maps off of your stock maps
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 AM

ive thought about it, but one thing the guys at f1 dyno(the shop that worked on it) told me to try was to get a ecu from a 300zx turbo i guess they can set it up to run one maf instead of 2 and they said there was a lot more i could do with it and not have to spend a bunch of cash/time building a mega squirt or a diff. management system where the ve30de and the vg30de are so close he said the plug in fine

he took me for a ride in his maxima thing fn screamed and he used a 300zx ecu so im kinda at a toss up ya know,on his ecu he had a plug that was the same as the ecu on the stock harness that plugged into the stock ecu and then the stock harness plugged into that know what i mean? like the 2 plug were plugged into the ecu one on top of the other idk what the h*** that was

and the other thing i was looking into was a jimwolf ecu?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
No turbo, no care!

From the other thread you started; no I don't have a bunch of pictures on here but then again I don't take pictures for a living. I do have a fair amount of somewhat unorganized photos that you are free to check out, there are some pretty detailed pictures of the building of my turbo setup and all kinds of custom parts I've made. I figured you would have a similar group of pictures of the custom work you are capable and proud of.
The pictures are spread out across all 5 pages.
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...rbo91/?start=0

Secondly there is no reason to change to a 300zx ECU. The maxima ECU is virtually the same and can be tuned just as easily. Neither should require two MAFs, I've never even heard of such a setup. If you have exceeded the flow limit of your stock MAF, the 300zx MAF from any Z32 plugs right into our harness without any rewiring needed. (Retuning the ECU to compensate for the extra flow is needed however) Perhaps they were telling you to get a 300zx MAF, and not the ECU as that makes more sense.

It's kinda hard to comment on your current tuning system since no one here is familiar (or even understands) what you have. However, a JWT is a decent ECU IMO but they can be hit or miss. They are tuned by JWT based on what parameters you give them (engine type, compression ratio, turbo, injector sizes, MAF type, etc. The problem is each car is different, and not all injectors react the same etc etc. Since its a one time tune that can't be altered by you, it either works well for your setup or it doesn't. I've had decent luck with them for my turbo systems, others people have had varied success.
Nistune is a much more capable and easily altered tuning system but it requires you to either know how to and play an active roll in the tuning or hire someone who does. It doesn't work out of the box like a JWT ECU. It does have a lot more options, can make changes on the fly, and you can store and swap tunes for different fuels, altitude, boost, road conditions, etc. Nistune is also a lot cheaper than a JWT ECU.

Ultimately there is probably no good reason to change what you already have. I think a Z32 MAF will solve your dual MAF situation and maybe some fine tuning to get where you want to be.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 AM

ok after yapin on the phone wit f1 what they are talking about is using the 300zx ecu, and jumping the 2 inputs for the mafs so they read as one chris down there is using that set up in his maxima and told me it works mint because the vg and the ve are so close in design that there pretty much programed the "same". the biggest diff. is you can get a lot more out of the 300zx ecu because the parts are out there
what he did to my ecu was just POP tune (timing, a more little fuel)

what im asking about is basic parts i guess,a good starting point. what injectors would you run? how big of a tb? that kind of stuff im building the car but when it comes to tuning it ill leave that to the guys that can get on there computers and "adjust the points" know what i mean?

im old school my turbo ta was a 301ci v8 had hei ignition and a carb,with a pull threw turbo i could tune that all day,i can hear it, i can smell it, i can feel it that kinda thing my problem with ecus i cant find the fn adjustment screws or go buy a bigger set of jets.get where im coming from now?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by drkwlf
ok after yapin on the phone wit f1 what they are talking about is using the 300zx ecu, and jumping the 2 inputs for the mafs so they read as one chris down there is using that set up in his maxima and told me it works mint because the vg and the ve are so close in design that there pretty much programed the "same". the biggest diff. is you can get a lot more out of the 300zx ecu because the parts are out there
what he did to my ecu was just POP tune (timing, a more little fuel)

what im asking about is basic parts i guess,a good starting point. what injectors would you run? how big of a tb? that kind of stuff im building the car but when it comes to tuning it ill leave that to the guys that can get on there computers and "adjust the points" know what i mean?

im old school my turbo ta was a 301ci v8 had hei ignition and a carb,with a pull threw turbo i could tune that all day,i can hear it, i can smell it, i can feel it that kinda thing my problem with ecus i cant find the fn adjustment screws or go buy a bigger set of jets.get where im coming from now?
injectors...i think someone mentioned that you can get a set of top feeds injectors...but then you need to change your program. you have to determine how much psi u want to run to how much fuel you need to deliver. what injectors do you have now b/c there's no way the stock ones can handle the boost pressure...even low boost the stock ones are virtually at their peak.

TB...for VG i think you're stuck unless you want to redo the intake manifold from a Z31 or custom one. for VE you might be able to find something.

here's my set up...unfortunately i changed it 3 times after this pic...but you get the idea.
Name:  DSC03198.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  112.6 KB

fabrication...
Name:  DSC03397.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  97.1 KB

part of a 3" DP V-band clamp
Name:  DSC03401.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  93.7 KB

so yeah...before you come out and ask total random questions you need to give us some info on what you have now instead of rambling out a list of parts that's available off the shelf. i'm talking about the technical details.

yeah...i'm old school too...
Name:  DSC03096.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  100.2 KB

see look...i have pics...and i'm not even a pro..LOL

so cut the BS excuses man. it's 57 degrees and clear in maine so don't tell me there's snow on the ground.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM

how are you increasing fuel pressure for the boost increase and your throttle body is fine unless your goin for major power
Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

i haven't touched the fuel regulator yet, and yes someone said i could use 550 injectors and yes i know ill need to get the ecu re-mapped again but like i said ill leave that to the guys that know how to do it.

im not trying to build a huge amount of hp, im just working on getting what i know it could have without a huge overhaul and spending a stupid amount of cash ya know

as far as the pics go when there posted there posted, i dont care if think im full a bs or not to be honest with you

ok im gona ask direct questions instead of just trying to shoot the S***

fuel regulator,what kind and how many psi you think i should be running?

injectors? are these what you were talking about? if so i think thas whats in it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-fuel-injec...def05a&vxp=mtr
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i haven't touched the fuel regulator yet, and yes someone said i could use 550 injectors and yes i know ill need to get the ecu re-mapped again but like i said ill leave that to the guys that know how to do it.

im not trying to build a huge amount of hp, im just working on getting what i know it could have without a huge overhaul and spending a stupid amount of cash ya know

as far as the pics go when there posted there posted, i dont care if think im full a bs or not to be honest with you

injectors? are these what you were talking about? if so i think thas whats in it
if you have the round injector connectors instead of the rectangle ones then those are it.

if you have rectangle connectors then you need the older injectors.

fuel reg...that depends on what size injector and whats your fuel requirement. the ECU can set the latency of the injectors to spray X amount. this is not a simple carb/float set up. this takes a little trial and error and some equipment (WBO2) to test out. i'm running a stock regulator...ppl like the aeromotive and i think there's an adjustable one that goes into the rail also (nismo?).
Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM
No turbo, no care!

So you have 550cc injectors installed already? Also, if you ECU is tuned to work with the regulator you have now, changing it is going to throw everything off. Why change it now if its working, did the shop working on your car say you needed to? Since you don't know anything about your tune you are going to have to ask all these questions to the shop that did the work. NO ONE can faithfully recommend specific changes to your setup without knowing how your ECU will/can be setup to maintain control. Also if you plan to change the ECU for a different one, the parts you have now may or may not work. Unless you can learn about tuning used on your car, you are reliant on the tuner for any advice on parts controlled by the ECU or that effect its function. For example, an AFC can only handle injectors up to 50% larger, so 550s would be out. A JWT ECU can easily handle 550s, but for the most part they are limited to injectors they have detailed data on, like OEM nissan injectors, NISMO injectors, and a few others. A Nistune ECU on the other hand can accept specific changes to injector lag, dead time, flow rate, etc so virtually any type of injector can be tuned for and controlled accurately.
The point is, the parts out there that could be used on your car are limitless. You are limited only by what your ECU can do, so ask the people that know.