3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Jacobson power coil????? what can you tell me about them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM

Jacobson power coil????? what can you tell me about them?

So when I bought my most recent 92 GXE, this was installed. It drove home but I was only running on four injectors so I know it works but I took it out to do a factory tune up. I feel why try to better an already good design. Am I wrong? What advantages do I get with this? Has anybody ran this? Should I keep it? What is it worth? Does anybody have a better need for this in their car? I only ask because I have no experience with it. LMK.

IMAG0947 by dadswieser, on Flickr
Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM

This system is a good ignition system it could balance out the engine by sensing those cylinder requiring extra charge compared to those reqiring less charge! I would keep it! or trade it for a MSD/Mallory/Petronix ignition system! It's name is Jacobs Electronics that Mileage Master eliminated all bogs and hesitations...

http://www.jacobselectronics.com.au/

Last edited by CMax03; 03-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I've had several JE devices. Certain components like their coils are nice and work well. But overall their ignition systems as a whole are garbage. IIRC, this was the cheaper version of their I.C.E. Pack system.

The system you have makes use of the stock coil, firing along a 3-4 foot 8mm plug wire, to a secondary trigger. That trigger signals the Jacobs "mileage master" to make a judgement about fire and then signals the Jacob coil to fire. Then we go back to the stock distributor to fire the plug.

IMO, sell it. If you want to keep it, then I suggest you set it up in what they call the "race" configuration. Basically, you eliminate the secondary trigger and tie the fire signal from the stock coil (from the wire off the coil's harness) to the fire signal at the mileage master. Again, you're just bypassing the secondary trigger and allowing your car's system initiate the Jacob system faster. Functions more like the stock system, but faster and stronger. Well, at least that's their sales pitch.

Personally, IMO only thing of value there is the coil. And you could just install that if you wanted.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Get Off My Lawn

+1 on Cmax. The other systems he mentions are MUCH better systems all around.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM

I personally like Mallory's capacitive ignition system and a matching (giant) oil filled coil it's the setup I use and it's bulletproof! Back it the day I never seen oil filled cols fail unless the oil was leaking out of the canister! These Modern day epoxy Nissan coils suck and are always suspect for any part throttle stumbling and hesitations!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think Im just gunna put it up on CL for trade for something. Thing is I dont know how old it is or if it had been abused or not and truth be told I would rather stay as much stock as I can in this area.

Thanks again fellas....