3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Oil Pressure Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Oil Pressure Light

So i need some help with a new issue. I just got back from a ~800 mile roadtrip to the Florida Keys. The car ran great. When I was midway home, I stopped at a toll booth of Florida Turnpike with window open and first noticed that the engine's normal steady operating sound changed into something more like that of an old truck. Uneven, with high peaks at half-second intervals, if that makes any sense. Now today, I drove for a bit here and there, and noticed something else. Sometimes, when I brake semi-hard, the light for oil pressure lights up for a second or two, then blinks and goes out when car is stopped. Doesn't do that when I brake softly. Checked the oil level - it seems fine, a bit high, if anything, but pretty much within the norm. Can someone please pitch in?

Last edited by Deridex; 03-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM

how overfull is the oil? if its a tad overfull it wont hurt anything but if its high over the full line you can blow seals

how many miles on the engine?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
LvR

I would get a oil pressure gauge on there pronto and stop driving it immediately till you figure what is going on .................. bad pickup, wrong oil grade, blocked filter, sludge, bad oil pressure regulator, bad oil pump, worn motor......................
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Hmmm, likely the oil pump going. Not a horrible job, but very time consuming!

Mine did pretty much the same thing, and if it's the oil pump, you are on borrowed time and likely already causing damage to worn hydrolic lifters, rockers, cams, and the crank bearings.

If you can do the work, park it. If you can't, get it in a shop....now.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 AM

connect a wet guage to where your oil pressure switch is and read your actually pressure! You might simply have a bad pressure switch!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the help, guys, but there's one major point im my previous description of the problem that I got totally wrong. First of all, it's been a while since I've used the car. So when I thought I checked the oil last night, I realized today, that I was actually checking AT fluid. Again, been a while. So, anyway, now that we're past that, more to the point. Today, when I checked the actual oil dipstick, there was hardly any oil on the very bottom of it, way below the minimum level. I immediately went to the store and got some 5W-30 oil to fill it back up. Again, the oil pressure light didn't come on until just yesterday, so I assume there was still enough oil in the engine to provide enough pressure until that moment. Now the latest two questions I have are: where could the oil leak out from (most likely culprits)?, and how bad could ithe damage be if, in fact, I was driving all that time with such low oil level?

P.S. I checked under the car for any oil pools a few hours after I filled it back up and found nothing, except a couple of drops, which could've been there before.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Get Off My Lawn

In that case, my money is on the front oil seal.
Of course, you need to refill and run the engine while it sits. That usually produces your drips and can track it down. Other likely sources are oil pan gasket, oil pan drain plug (Likely if you change your own oil but check level via the tranny dipstick.....I kid), the rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, oil pressure sensor, etc.
Again, most likely front seal or rear seal.
Turn Passover wheel all the way to the right, start, and let the car run. Bet oil will start dripping from behind the crank pulley. Seen it many times on the VG.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM

best thing to do is park on a clean surface and see if youre leaking oil, if youve got little to no leaking youre burning oil.

oil can leak out of many places, bad oil pan gasket, bad oil pan drain plug gasket, oil pressure sensor, valve cover gaskets, etc. i had a rear main seal leak on mine but it only left a few drips every few hours. if you know its not leaking badly or more than a few drips my bet is on it burning oil
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Alright, roger that. I'll do a thorough ckeck of all those spots on the weekend. Still can't believe I did that though. In the meantime I'll let it sit till then. Thanks a bunch, guys.