3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

humming from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 PM

humming from speakers

Recently my OEM Bose stereo head unit went out so i switched it out to and aftermarket sony. Since then i have a humming noise coming from the speakers when i accelerate. When i unplug the radio the humming goes away and is only there when i have my foot on the gas pedal. I still have the OEM bose speakers and the OEM amplifier. Any suggestions on how i can get rid of this annoying sound?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Did you use good wiring? Sounds like some rf interference to me. Make sure all of your wires are covered good. Are you using an aux device to play? Make sure you equalize the volumes so you don't have to turn the volume all the way up and max out the HU amplifying abilities. Provide more info for better solutions
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM

yes the wiring is all good and connections are all good, i've installed about 30 radio's and have never had this problem. this is the first time im installing a radio in a maxima though. I thought it might have something to do with the black ground wire. i read that the ground wire should not be connected to anything, which it is not. I tried grounding the black wire but it just made it worst. im not using the aux mostly just cd's and the radio but it happens on both settings.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Its got to be some kind of interference or loose connection. Same kind of buzzing that happens when you unplug RCA cables right?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 PM

yes. i had a friend hook up some subs and had the same buzzing noise. i helped him rewire starting with the ground wire first. turned out that his ground wasnt fully connecting to the frame. i guess ill pull the wire harness out and try a soldering gun and solder the wires together to establish an accurate connection. ill update by the end of this week. thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Try deleting the bose amps, see if yhe buzz goes away.
If it doesn't, i would recommend getting a better deck.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM

You need a ground loop isolator, Sony decks, especially old ones, do not have them built in. I GUARANTEE this is your problem.

It has nothing to do with the Bose system, although you should still replace your speakers and bypass your amps so the impedance of your speakers matches that of the head unit.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You need a ground loop isolator, Sony decks, especially old ones, do not have them built in. I GUARANTEE this is your problem.

It has nothing to do with the Bose system, although you should still replace your speakers and bypass your amps so the impedance of your speakers matches that of the head unit.

im not using any RCA's though, i thought those were if you were running RCA's?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM

The type I'm talking about goes in line with the positive lead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-CSS-12-C...item1e6c789324

Search noise filter.

Last edited by Hectic; 04-05-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
The type I'm talking about goes in line with the positive lead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-CSS-12-C...item1e6c789324

Search noise filter.
okay i went ahead and ordered it. im not sure how to hook it up though. do i just incorporate them into the existing blue, black and red wires? so ill have 3 wires connecting to the red, black and blue? right now i dont have the black wire even hooked up to anything
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by fduffy25
okay i went ahead and ordered it. im not sure how to hook it up though. do i just incorporate them into the existing blue, black and red wires? so ill have 3 wires connecting to the red, black and blue? right now i dont have the black wire even hooked up to anything
I bought one of those for my system to try to eliminate speaker whine a while back. It didn't fix my problem and degraded the sound quality noticeably.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

^yup. good stereo won't need **** like that. Pay more, get more.
I've spent hundreds on cheap audio components and trying to fix the associated audio problems, then spent half as much, got a real deck, real speakers, and the problems "magically" went away.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Likewise, a quality noise filter isn't going to degrade sound quality. Pioneer used to include in line filters on the stock harness. Modern decks have circuitry built into the unit that either filters or accepts the erratic source.

I haven't used an aftermarket filter since I bought my first new deck in '97 (Sony), but I believe all it is is just a voltage regulator to clean up the dirty power coming from the battery and alternator. So it's actually not a ground loop isolator, that's what I was told it was called back in the day, so it's the first name I thought of, which is wrong. Anyway, I noticed no difference in sound quality except that the alternator whine was eliminated.

You ground the unit and connect one wire to your 12v source, the last wire connects to the (non constant) 12v input on the deck. I'm sure it will come with instructions that will specify which side the yellow and blue wires should connect.

Last edited by Hectic; 04-07-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by fduffy25
Wait, what do you mean you don't have the black wire connected to anything? Black is ground, if not grounded properly, you just might have a loop on your hands. I'm going to assume that you have the deck bolted up to the stock brackets, which should provide a sufficient ground. If not, then it's grounded via RCA or some other weak point which is no good.