3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

89-91 trunk popper

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM

89-91 trunk popper

Id like to learn about the trunk popper on 89-91SEs that is with the fuel door popper. I would like to convert a 92SE to this style of trunk popper and there are a couple of reasons why:

right now Im doing some work on my 90GXE that has the door button to pop the trunk. Unfortunately this car doesnt have a battery in it at the moment, and I dont like leaving the trunk lid open so everytime I need to open the trunk, I have to put together 2 pairs of jumper cables (15ft & 6ft, because the car is facing the wrong way) and connect it to my other 3rd gen just so I can have 12volt at the door button (I should mention I dont have a key for the cylinder on the trunk lid). Also the keyless entry isnt working at the moment but even if it was I would still have the same problem. this would be the same problem you had if your battery was dead..

before someone tells me to get a key made for the trunk in the future I would like to run a rearview camera that fits where the trunk key cylinder goes...so just assume that there wont be any keyhole in the trunk eventually

on to my questions:

does the 89-91SE trunk popper work when the battery is dead?? im thinking it is a manual (non-electric) type of popper, but I dont know much about it as all my 3rd gens have had the door button..

would it work in conjuction with the popper that opens the trunk from the keyless entry/door button? the door button would get the axe but I would still like to be able to pop the trunk with the keyless entry (if I/you wanted to convert a GXE)

anything else you can tell me about how it works in general, I believe it is a couple of rods connected together but I really dont know...trying to figure out if this is possible to convert?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM

I have a 1991 SE. Yes the trunk popper is mechanical. It works even when there is no power. I don't know the assembly details though...haven't really looked at it before.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM

I did the exact opposite. Converted from manual to electric and wired a custom circuit so only I can, or know how to open it. You should just stick with the solenoid IMO. Manual is simply a cable running from the lever all the way back to the latch, there's a holder bolted close to the latch which keeps tension so when you pull the lever it actually pulls the latch, which IIRC bolts to a different spot than the solenoid so if you want you could possibly use both methods, but it could cause the latch to become jammed.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM

thats a good point...depending on how they hold the trunk shut if I converted and left the solenoid then I might have to press the latch and the button at the same time to get it to pop lol...so it wouldnt be somethin to do on a GXE because youre killing a feature of the keyless entry (by removing the solenoid) but if its on my VE then it wouldnt matter, and would allow me to open the trunk without any power -> thats what i like about the idea
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I have an '89 which has the manual lever. I installed the electric trunk popper solenoid from a newer 3rd gen. Bolts right up and both function perfectly. Wired it into my aftermarket alarm and so.....if I'm in the car I can pull the lever and pop it. If I'm coming out of the store, I can hit the secondary function button on my remote and pop it electronically.
Otherwise, it's been said....you would need to run the manual cable from front to rear (trunk release is the same) and replace the mechanism beside the drivers seat.
Additionall, don't they have back up cameras you can install at the license plate? Either way, your call.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I have an '89 which has the manual lever. I installed the electric trunk popper solenoid from a newer 3rd gen. Bolts right up and both function perfectly. Wired it into my aftermarket alarm and so.....if I'm in the car I can pull the lever and pop it. If I'm coming out of the store, I can hit the secondary function button on my remote and pop it electronically.
i also did this but later unhooked the manual cable popper because it started jamming after a few years with both hooked into the same latch.
but i still have the remote trunk popper .