3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Starter grinding on flywheel 5 speed SE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Starter grinding on flywheel 5 speed SE.

Here is how the problem unfolded through the last few years.

The problem started when the car would click a few times before it started the car, this was on and off. This eventually led to a lot of clicking before start but still on and off. I then changed the started and the clicking persisted. I then changed the key ignition harness and that helped for a few weeks and the clicking came back but then randomly it started grinding on the flywheel and now it grinds every time.

The starter is 2 years old and was tested 1 month ago. it does extend all the way out with great torque.
The starter ground is fine and in place. The power harness looks intact. I have not checked it with volt meter.(not sure how)?
The flywheel was visually inspected and all teeth are there it is just grinding at the teeth from the side. It has removed a bit of material. (the problem IS getting worse)

Ive read a few threads through the forum. I plan on adding a ground and checking for anything loose bolts.

Last edited by junito1; 06-18-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 AM

Has your cam position sensor been touched recently? What year is the car and is it a/t or m/t? (last two are essentials)
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

What do you mean it's "grinding" on the flywheel? I don't see how that's possible. The flywheel teeth have a curve cut into them on the edge from the factory, and unless your starter is either loose or somehow crooked or the shaft is bent internally there's virtually no way it could "grind" the flywheel - the odds of one starter doing this are low enough but two starters doing it is astronomical.

So when it's clicking, it's not even attempting to crank - correct? The clicking has to be from a bad connection somewhere, a loose battery terminal, loose ground, etc.

What exactly makes you think the starter is grinding the flywheel? Pics?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

weak battery?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM

When mine was doing this, it was the starter. Mine went bad and I had to replace it twice till I got a good one. My dad is a mechanic and he said if it was rebuilt/remanned or whatever sometimes they don't put them together right and the gear grinds. The testing equipment most shop/part stores use just test motor etc. Which for most car starters this is sufficient. He said most of the time you won't know the gear part is bad til you put it on. I'd say try replacing the starter with another one and see if that fixed otherwise you're gonna need another flywheel.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
LvR

Most solenoid and bendix assemblies are designed such that the bendix mesh with the teeth on the flywheel before the solenoid applies power to the starter coils - like James92SE said there I also find it difficult to believe that the starter is "grinding" on the flywheel unless there is something loose/missing or really pathetic quality rebuild items were used on the starter to throw off the solenoid/bendix timing.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM

You know what, now that I think about this some more - when I first got my blue VE going (it was sitting for about 5 years and had a blown engine and auto tranny, I did a 5 speed swap and dropped a JDM VE in it), I could not for the life of me get it to start. I actually had a similar issue to this:

Trying to start it, even with a new battery it would just click and click most of the time. Occasionally, it would semi-crank but didn't sound right. I remember thinking it sounded almost like the starter was "missing" the flywheel teeth or something, even though I knew that was impossible. I eventually fumbled around and swapped/replaced just the solenoid on the starter assembly and it fixed it. IIRC, I took put the solenoid from the auto starter onto the 5 speed starter. I remember it being semi-tedious, so it may have been that I had to swap solenoid "guts" or something.

Given my recollection now of my frustrating ordeal it sounds like you do have a starter issue. But I still don't know what you mean by it "grinding" the flywheel, or why it would be sporadic.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM

You know what, now that I think about this some more - when I first got my blue VE going (it was sitting for about 5 years and had a blown engine and auto tranny, I did a 5 speed swap and dropped a JDM VE in it), I could not for the life of me get it to start. I actually had a similar issue to this:

Trying to start it, even with a new battery it would just click and click most of the time. Occasionally, it would semi-crank but didn't sound right. I remember thinking it sounded almost like the starter was "missing" the flywheel teeth or something, even though I knew that was impossible. I eventually fumbled around and swapped/replaced just the solenoid on the starter assembly and it fixed it. IIRC, I took put the solenoid from the auto starter onto the 5 speed starter. I remember it being semi-tedious, so it may have been that I had to swap solenoid "guts" or something.

Given my recollection now of my frustrating ordeal it sounds like you do have a starter issue. But I still don't know what you mean by it "grinding" the flywheel, or why it would be sporadic.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM

I bought this car about 3 yrs ago. It has a junk yard motor. Must be an original 1991 5 speed se. I.saw the starter being tested it extended all the way out and had good torque. It must be spinning as it extends because of how the flywheel is starting to.get.worn.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by junito1
I bought this car about 3 yrs ago. It has a junk yard motor. Must be an original 1991 5 speed se. I.saw the starter being tested it extended all the way out and had good torque. It must be spinning as it extends because of how the flywheel is starting to.get.worn.
Flywheel or ring-gear?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 PM

I say try another one as mention before and see what happens. 3rd times the charm. Standing there watching off the car doesn't say much obviously. When its on the car is where it counts.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM

I know a mechanic that specializes in nissans and says he has a few genuine nissan starters laying around we can try to see if thats the prob. So tomorrow i will let you know.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 PM

I know a mechanic that specializes in nissans and says he has a few genuine nissan starters laying around we can try to see if thats the prob. So tomorrow i will let you know.
GL
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
GL
It was the dang starter!!!! Fixed.

Its official. When this happens to anyone try the starter first!

thanks guys.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 AM

It was the dang starter!!!! Fixed.

Its official. When this happens to anyone try the starter first!

thanks guys.
There you go. Simple annoying problem fixed. This is proof defective parts do exist.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 AM

It did the click click on me last night. Wtf... only twice and it cranked but.....

Here we go again?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 AM
LvR

It did the click click on me last night. Wtf... only twice and it cranked but.....

Here we go again?
You either have more than one problem or more than a few funky starters ................. or both
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 PM

I believe it was suggested already. Start at the ignition and work your way to the starter or the reverse. As long as you start at one end and trace back to the other. My bet is tat you have either have a short or bad connection. Either way a simple fix.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 PM

My car does the same thing. Sometimes it starts n sometimes is scrapes the flywheel. It sounds similar to turning the key to start the car while its already running, makes a scraping sound
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
My car does the same thing. Sometimes it starts n sometimes is scrapes the flywheel. It sounds similar to turning the key to start the car while its already running, makes a scraping sound
OUCH! I hate that sound. After the 2nd time of it doing that I would replace the starter. Not gonna risk my flywheel let alone make more work for myself.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Yes that is the sound it makes. (used to make haha)
Either way i drove the car like that for about 3 weeks. STarting the car atleast 3 times a day. Flywheel was barely scraped and has not affected proper function with proper starter.

It has not clicked on me since that night. starts right up like a new car evrytime now.

Thanks again

chris-
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 PM

Here we go again?
GL Man!