3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Whats the permanent injector fix?!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Whats the permanent injector fix?!!

Ive changed just about every injectors on this maxima se. 5spd

I love my car but damn it. WTF is up with the injectors failing every 3 months. Replaced at least 5 of them ****s and now one of the replaced injectors has gone bad again. For the billionth time im driving around on 5 cylinders. This time i dont just want to change the injector i want to find the problem for good and fix it right!

My car is a 1991 original se 5spd.
JUnk yard motor. I has late maxima vg30e fuel rail/injectors. I wanted to also double check my ecu # to make sure ecu and injector omhs are matching...

I did rain really hard the day before the injector went out. COuld this be due to water getting inside the injector clips? I dont have the underbody plastics.

I bought this car 3 years ago from some spanis
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Are you buying new injectors or putting in used ones?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:43 PM

Stay away from Python Injectors. If you can help it, get some Beck/Arnely injectors. I replaced all 6 at once and haven't had any issues for about 4 years now.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Im using used injectors. All the maximas at the junkyard are missing injectors. I mean all!. Whats the word? Whats causing it?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

stop putting used injectors in, buy NEW not remanufactured injectors....
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by junito1
Im using used injectors. All the maximas at the junkyard are missing injectors. I mean all!. Whats the word? Whats causing it?
The point of using used part's are for temporary purpose only until you either find or afford brand new parts(Nissan). You could possibly have a dirty fuel system and should drop gas tank to service when or before you install the new Nissan injectors (all 6).
Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 AM

They are used nissan injectors out of junkyard motors. Ive changed fuel filter several times and i always drain it in a clear container to get an idea of how dirty fuel is.. well its always clean. ANd there is nothing wrong with used injectors.. Injectors last a long time... maybe not in maximas.. (There i s a common problem on maxima; has to be) but they are supposed to.

MY clips are all busted and i know rain water can easily fall in to the connector area when raining hard here in florida. We just had that tropical storm in florida and after driving in those rain days, my injector stopped.

There has to be a common problem. Im obviously not the only running to Junk yards for them. I mean all 6-8 maxima's at junk yard had their Intake plenum/manifold ripped out for injectors.. What is going on!!?

IS the 10% ethenol destroying our old school injectors or something.

I would get new injectors, but i want to find the source of the problem first. I wouldnt be to happy if i spent over 300$ for new ones and then fry one of those injectors with the problem i never isolated.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Replace those clips first. As for the reason the injectors are failing, I think it's due to the coil, but could be wrong. There are probably 50 threads about them to search.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Well.. how does the coil interfere with the injectors?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM

People are probably tking them to send them off to get refurbished by deatschwerks or some other similar company. Taking an injector from a junkyard car and putting it right in yours is a bad idea. Go get 6 more and send them of to DW and be happy its not more expensive.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

the coil INSIDE the injector is what fails, they do not clog, they fail electrically....

fix all your busted harness retainers, clean the corrosion/greenish crap out of the harness connectors and off the injector prongs, then put some dielectric grease in the connectors...

if you still have problems, then measure the ohm resistance of each injector via multimeter across both prongs on the injector/s....a good injector will read between 11-14 ohms...any other reading will be a failed/dead injector...

good luck
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM

These injectors are coming out of 20 year old cars, then you think you can just pop them in and they'll last forever. Did you even have them refurbished? Have you replaced any of the connectors/harness? Have you tested everything else in the fuel system(fuel pump/sending unit, FPR, fuel pressure, relay, ect.)? After 20 years of use it is a good idea to replace all of the injectors but if that's not your immediate then you should focus on diagnostics. Good wrenching!!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
These injectors are coming out of 20 year old cars, then you think you can just pop them in and they'll last forever. Did you even have them refurbished? Have you replaced any of the connectors/harness? Have you tested everything else in the fuel system(fuel pump/sending unit, FPR, fuel pressure, relay, ect.)? After 20 years of use it is a good idea to replace all of the injectors but if that's not your immediate then you should focus on diagnostics. Good wrenching!!

Idk. what you maxima guys have been going through... but injectors last a LONG time.(just not in maximas apparently) I have an 1988 rx7 turbo with perfectly working original injectors...Matter of fact i know tons of Early injected cars still on factory injectors. I know enough about cars. I just thought there was a common issue with maxima's.
And why would i need diagnose the fuel system? The engine was clearly running on 5 cylinders. I went around pulling spark plug wires till i found the dead one.
Problem isolated.(somewhat) injector #3. Is completely dead electrically.
As sm1 mentioned the coil must have went bad. A friend has sm injector tester and it is completely dead.

SO. I will get all new pigtail/connectors. change out the single bad injector for a USED one. and lets see if its the weather or not. I will also try to find the underbody splash guard for extra water protection.

Hope it lasts more than 3 to 4 months this time.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Throw some VE/VQ injectors in there and use Nistune to control them...problem solved .
Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Throw some VE/VQ injectors in there and use Nistune to control them...problem solved .
lol
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 AM

I feel one is gonna end up back where (speaking from experience/frustration) I just replaced all mine with brand new OEM. Btw they're not $300 for OEM. Try almost $700 after tax at least for VE injectors $114/each. I believe VG were a lil more. Sorry if that made your day.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
I feel one is gonna end up back where (speaking from experience/frustration) I just replaced all mine with brand new OEM. Btw they're not $300 for OEM. Try almost $700 after tax at least for VE injectors $114/each. I believe VG were a lil more. Sorry if that made your day.
I have 18 properly working VE/VQ injectors heading for the dumpster because I have no use for em. I have RX7 injectors in my VG.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 07-02-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 AM

I'll pay shipping + for 6 of them

I have 18 properly working VE/VQ injectors heading for the dumpster because I have no use for em. I have RX7 injectors in my VG.
assuming they're compatible with my '93 VE, which is my understanding!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Way out West

I sent you a PM about those. I forgot about checking the classifieds for a while. I have been busy with other stuff.

I probably should just sell my Maxima. I completely ignore it and it's covered with stuff in my garage. I feel like one of those guys that has the old muscle car that's going to "fix it up one day..." except my car is worth jack squat compared to most of those.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Idk. what you maxima guys have been going through... but injectors last a LONG time.(just not in maximas apparently) I have an 1988 rx7 turbo with perfectly working original injectors...Matter of fact i know tons of Early injected cars still on factory injectors. I know enough about cars. I just thought there was a common issue with maxima's.
And why would i need diagnose the fuel system? The engine was clearly running on 5 cylinders. I went around pulling spark plug wires till i found the dead one.
Problem isolated.(somewhat) injector #3. Is completely dead electrically.
As sm1 mentioned the coil must have went bad. A friend has sm injector tester and it is completely dead.

SO. I will get all new pigtail/connectors. change out the single bad injector for a USED one. and lets see if its the weather or not. I will also try to find the underbody splash guard for extra water protection.

Hope it lasts more than 3 to 4 months this time.
You said it was raining hard out and you thought that my of played a role with your issue. I would want to make sure my fuel system is 100% but if your sure it's good then it's good. When you combine water with electronics anything is possible because water conducts electricity. Water can cause it to arc and cross circuits instead of flowing through the circuit like it's suppose to. I was only trying to suggest investing in a new injector because you really don't know how a JY Max was maintained and what kind of fuel the owner used or if they ever changed the fuel filter or serviced the fuel injection system at all. Poor quality gas can foul fuel injectors with wax, dirt, water and you don't know what your getting from the JY unless you bench test them first. A customer of mine had a 3rdgen Max that I did the maintenance/repairs(almost no repairs) on with almost 400,000 miles on the original motor/trans and everything was original. Everything was original because he maintained her properly and didn't beat the crap out of her. Anyway, my last post didn't interpret properly in writing, just trying to assist a fellow Max owner. Good luck and Good Wrenching!!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks guys.

SOrry to come off as a douche. Just Looking for real answers. Not looking to just replace all. 700$.... hahaha. I laugh at crap like that. but that will never be me.

BUt heres the funny part to the story. The car has been running on 5 cyls. till today.
I have been busy and havent got around to changing the injector.
This morning i cranked her up to go to work and i couldnt believe she cranked smooth on ALL 6 Cyls. I didnt do anything. SO ow she is running strong as always.

I will weather proof these injectors as much as possible and i still plan on getting splash guard. Hopefully this is the fix.

I will post again as soon as the next one fails or if you guys want me to check up every month i will.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I sent you a PM about those. I forgot about checking the classifieds for a while. I have been busy with other stuff.

I probably should just sell my Maxima. I completely ignore it and it's covered with stuff in my garage. I feel like one of those guys that has the old muscle car that's going to "fix it up one day..." except my car is worth jack squat compared to most of those.
Lol. Man keep it. You'll hate yourself later for letting it go. Other cars will come and go but none will be as fun or hands on as the 3rd gen Maxima. Plus if everyone else sales their cars what am I suppose to admire when I'm tired of looking at my car (hah! like that will ever happen) or at least for inspiration/motivation?

Last edited by maximo018; 07-03-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Way out West

Lol. Man keep it. You'll hate yourself later for letting it go. Other cars will come and go but none will be as fun or hands on as the 3rd gen Maxima. Plus if everyone else sales their cars what am I suppose to admire when I'm tired of looking at my car (hah! like that will ever happen) or at least for inspiration/motivation?
After driving an e46, I will tell you that the Maxima isn't nearly as satisfying. Honestly, I hate to say it, but it's true. My AT wagon is far more fun than my MT Maxima.

I keep thinking if I get something "fresh" that I will spend more time with it. I have been longing for a Datsun 510 or a Datsun roadster. Several times a week I go to Craigslist Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, etc and look up "Datsun" to see what is out there. I also keep thinking about an e36 convertible, but I don't know if I would be as happy with that.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
After driving an e46, I will tell you that the Maxima isn't nearly as satisfying. Honestly, I hate to say it, but it's true. My AT wagon is far more fun than my MT Maxima.

I keep thinking if I get something "fresh" that I will spend more time with it. I have been longing for a Datsun 510 or a Datsun roadster. Several times a week I go to Craigslist Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, etc and look up "Datsun" to see what is out there. I also keep thinking about an e36 convertible, but I don't know if I would be as happy with that.
Yeah it maybe more fun to drive but u give a little to get a little. At least with the 3rd gen you can still afford parts and work on it yourself and have a satisfying driving experience. I know with that BMW maintenance is a p.i.t.a. Parts ain't cheap for that. I learn that from my dad's previous BMW.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Ive changed just about every injectors on this maxima se. 5spd

I love my car but damn it. WTF is up with the injectors failing every 3 months. Replaced at least 5 of them ****s and now one of the replaced injectors has gone bad again. For the billionth time im driving around on 5 cylinders. This time i dont just want to change the injector i want to find the problem for good and fix it right!

My car is a 1991 original se 5spd.
JUnk yard motor. I has late maxima vg30e fuel rail/injectors. I wanted to also double check my ecu # to make sure ecu and injector omhs are matching...

I did rain really hard the day before the injector went out. COuld this be due to water getting inside the injector clips? I dont have the underbody plastics.

I bought this car 3 years ago from some spanis
You're buying Junk yard parts and having junk yard results...buy brand new from ABC Nissan or Nissan ASAP Parts or Courtesy.....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM

well... i think i might have hit the end of the road....

2,4,6 cylinder bank( front of the car) must have jumped timing. barely wants to turn on. just keeps turning.... smells of hella fuel. pulled spark plugs out 1by1 on the right bank.. it doesnt change how the engine runs/idles must..... have jumped 1 tooth. or something? can some1 confirm this?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM

well... i think i might have hit the end of the road....

2,4,6 cylinder bank( front of the car) must have jumped timing. barely wants to turn on. just keeps turning.... smells of hella fuel. pulled spark plugs out 1by1 on the right bank.. it doesnt change how the engine runs/idles must..... have jumped 1 tooth. or something? can some1 confirm this?
Have you checked to see if the marks line up?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Make sure when you install the new injectors, they are seating properly. Coat all the o-rings with Vaseline petroleum jelly. Push the injector into the fuel rail and they should "pop" into place. DO NOT use the injector cap to push them into place! That will cause the small o-ring to not seat properly and you will be blowing gas into the cylinder. That will make you think crazy thoughts like: I have a bad computer- My new injectors are bad- My O2 sensor is bad- My timing is bad- I have a bad connection somewhere.... This has happened to me on my 90 & 94 GXE's when replacing the injectors. I've used the Autozone and O'Reilly's injectors (pink tops) with much success. Do not use rebuilt. You're asking for trouble and you'll wear yourself out tearing down the motor to find what's wrong.
When the Nissan JECS OEM injectors hit about 120-150k miles, they start going bad. Usually they go dead due to internal shorts or bad connections. If you ohm them out, they will show no resistance. They should show 11 ohms or thereabouts. If they're above 20 ohms, they're fixin' to go bad! I've replaced both cars with the Beck-Arnley and BMD injectors and they're are new and work great. Remember, the GXE's use the pink tops, SE's use the red tops. Also, this is a good time to replace all the vacuum lines and little coolant hoses that run into the throttle body and manifolds etc. Nissans hoses are notorious for getting hard and cracking. Post here if you have more queistions on the injector replacement on the GXE.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM

I did some testing... injectors is my last worry. easy fix. but this seems different.

HArd to start. Needs a batt. charger on it to start. Turns a lot and then it slowly fires up till it idles rough as if it were on 5 cylinders. Also, I have to give it a small amount of throttle to help it start. Before when it had 1 dead injector it used to fire right up.

A lot of unburnt fuel coming out of exhaust.(visual smoke and smells of fuel) It backfires pretty loud when decelerating in gear.

I have to redo this to see. my mechanic claims it didnt do it when he checked.
But, i had it idling and i pulled the spark plug from 2,4,6 one at a time. NO change in idle while i did this to 2,4,& 6. Which it why i thought it must have jumped timing on the front head.

If it did jump timing... on one cam gear... how do i go about checking.. SHould a normal timing check on the crank pulley tell if its off? or would it not show on the crank pulley and my only option is to take timing belt cover off?

Last edited by junito1; 08-20-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM

MY mechanic thinks the #2 cyl has low compression... but uh.... an n/a vg doesnt go down like that... thats gotta be BS
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Im in the middle of the EXACT SAME THING. I figured mine was off with a compression check. Front head was reading lower psi than the back (which were in spec according to fsm). I'm just going to match my front to the rear head on timing marks (of course with the motor at tdc).
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 PM

If you haven't done anything to the timing belt tensioner, then there's no way you jumped a tooth by just working on the fuel injectors. CHECK THOSE O-RINGS IN THE INJECTORS!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldpuck81
If you haven't done anything to the timing belt tensioner, then there's no way you jumped a tooth by just working on the fuel injectors. CHECK THOSE O-RINGS IN THE INJECTORS!!!
Unless the timing belt is old, and just happened to have failed at this same time.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM

I did some testing... injectors is my last worry. easy fix. but this seems different.

HArd to start. Needs a batt. charger on it to start. Turns a lot and then it slowly fires up till it idles rough as if it were on 5 cylinders. Also, I have to give it a small amount of throttle to help it start. Before when it had 1 dead injector it used to fire right up.

A lot of unburnt fuel coming out of exhaust.(visual smoke and smells of fuel) It backfires pretty loud when decelerating in gear.

I have to redo this to see. my mechanic claims it didnt do it when he checked.
But, i had it idling and i pulled the spark plug from 2,4,6 one at a time. NO change in idle while i did this to 2,4,& 6. Which it why i thought it must have jumped timing on the front head.

If it did jump timing... on one cam gear... how do i go about checking.. SHould a normal timing check on the crank pulley tell if its off? or would it not show on the crank pulley and my only option is to take timing belt cover off?
It will tell if its off, but you'll also want to look at the belt cogs, to see if one is missing.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Porky

Unless the timing belt is old, and just happened to have failed at this same time.
Oh you would know if it failed. There wouldn't be any compression if the loud pop doesn't scare you first.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Got Retrofit?

You guys gotta start running this stuff.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...troke-oil.html
Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
You guys gotta start running this stuff.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...troke-oil.html
I don't think so.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Got Retrofit?

I don't think so.
Did you even read the thread(s)? I think it could really benefit the third gens.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Don't get me wrong. It sounds interesting but Idk how many are willing to test this out on there almost/if not 20 year old HIGH mileage car. Especially considering they are mostly used as dd. I interested to see what the results would be if anyone is willing to try.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Got Retrofit?

Don't get me wrong. It sounds interesting but Idk how many are willing to test this out on there almost/if not 20 year old HIGH mileage car. Especially considering they are mostly used as dd. I interested to see what the results would be if anyone is willing to try.
I don't see your point.

Quick Reply: Whats the permanent injector fix?!!