3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Re-Wiring a 1994 VG Fuel Rail to a 1992 GXE Main Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Re-Wiring a 1994 VG Fuel Rail to a 1992 GXE Main Wiring Harness

Here's a weird one for you guys:

I'm putting a 94 VG30E engine into a 92 GXE chassis. The old fuel rail of the 92 GXE had a different style harness connector for the injectors. The newer style in my 94 VG30E engine (yellow dot pink injectors) have a harness connector design that snaps in place with a plastic tab, instead of the old metal wire clip thing.

The color of wires (firewall bank) vary coming out of my 94 VG30E fuel rail. One injector has a blue stripe, then no stripe on the second wire. The other injector has a blue stripe on one wire, then red stipe on the other wire. The third injector has both blue stripes.

I basically want to snip off the old wire clip design injector harness connectors, and solder in the 94 VG30E harness connectors.

The color of wires from the 92 GXE main wiring harness appear to be a blue stripe on one wire, then a red stipe on the other. These rear firewall bank connectors, do I just wire them color to color. What about the strange wires where I only have one blue one, and the other is white.

FRONT BANK
These are non-accessible as they under the plenum. The single wiring connector (for all 3 front injectors) that comes off this fuel rail is accessed from the side. Can I connect this 94 VG30E front bank single wiring harness, to the corresponding wiring harness from the 1992 GXE Main harness? Or do I need to do some re-wiring.

Someone told me be careful, as if they are wrong, I might fry the computer.

Curious anyones experience with this.

Last edited by Porky; 09-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM

You could talk to Cmax03 about this. He swapped 94 injectors and fuel rail into his 90SE.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM

Already done for you:
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...onnectors.html
Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 AM

Thanks CMAX. I read your thread, but it only briefly touched on HOW you soldered in the 94 VG firewall side harness, into the older 1992 Main Harness. You stated P-N-P (Positive-Negative-Positive). Did you somehow figure out the wire colours to match?

From reading your thread, am I correct to say that for the radiator side harness, I have to do no splicing. I simply connect the 1994 harness connector attached to the Vacuum Gallery assembly, to the 1992 Main Harness plug, and it's good to go.

Some guidance appreciated.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM

Soldering is soldering.....Use the newer connectors which lead to have the wires cut from a junkyard donor....I chose to cut my wires long so I could hide the wire splice/solder joints safely in the main engine wiring harness and not have to worry about the solder joints cracking due to movement/vibration if I were to cut them shorter! Do one at a time and just match colors....It really doesn't matter even if you don't match color as long as injector #1 is the wiring for injector #1 and so on you'll be fine.....I made mine like factory cause that's how I do my work....you can do it quickly or take the easy route.....I just don't plan on doing it again so I know mine is good to go for a longtime....any other questions feel free to pm me!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Soldering is soldering.....Use the newer connectors which lead to have the wires cut from a junkyard donor....I chose to cut my wires long so I could hide the wire splice/solder joints safely in the main engine wiring harness and not have to worry about the solder joints cracking due to movement/vibration if I were to cut them shorter! Do one at a time and just match colors....It really doesn't matter even if you don't match color as long as injector #1 is the wiring for injector #1 and so on you'll be fine.....I made mine like factory cause that's how I do my work....you can do it quickly or take the easy route.....I just don't plan on doing it again so I know mine is good to go for a longtime....any other questions feel free to pm me!
Thanks bud, this explains everything. I'll cut them long too.