3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

On some occasions, forward feels sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM

On some occasions, forward feels sluggish

My 1989 Nissan Maxima has been a decent car for a while, only 91k miles on it, but i have noticed on some occasions that it will feel liek it has very little power going forward, almost like the breaks are stuck, but this only seems ot happen in forward gear. If I turn the engine off then back on again, this issue goes away and may not show up for a while. I have had the fluid replaced and they found no metal shavings or anything, and usually it is ok. Someone did mention that vaccum hoses can do some really odd things and the hoses are pretty old. I did notice that when trying to push forward on the street it does not really get the chance to rev much. It feels like its breaks, but that really does not make much sense since it is fine going in reverse.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
I miss my VE

You gotta do the basics first. Change your oil, do a tune-up, plugs, wires, air filter, check your brakes and make sure non of your calipers are stuck closed, and also make sure the tire pressure is good. Check the vacuum lines so non are cracked. Could also be a bad knock sensor. And it's a very good chance it's one or some of the injectors. Does it go "put-put" from the tail pipe? How does the tranny shift? Might be on it's way out as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
You gotta do the basics first. Change your oil, do a tune-up, plugs, wires, air filter, check your brakes and make sure non of your calipers are stuck closed, and also make sure the tire pressure is good. Check the vacuum lines so non are cracked. Could also be a bad knock sensor. And it's a very good chance it's one or some of the injectors. Does it go "put-put" from the tail pipe? How does the tranny shift? Might be on it's way out as well.
Tranny seems to shift fine after a restart when the problem occurs, just seems something is holding it back, and when the car is restarted, problem goes away. THe vaccuum lines are very old, they don't feel much like rubber anymore, cannot really be bent, a lot of lines too. The last time I had the engine and such checked was in 2007.