3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Headlight housing material

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Hi,

Unfortunately these are discontinued. We may possibly reintroduce these
lights in the future but as to when or if that may happen, im unaware. Sorry
for the inconvenience.

Spyder Auto
Sean Bremner
Tech Support
This question may be outside the scope of your job, but do you know if the glass parts (on any given glass headlight product you make) are produced in-house or if they contracted to a glassworks company of some sort? IE if they were made by another company, that the other company might still have the tooling for them, to be able to make just the glass.
Well originally these were produced overseas in Taiwan by a specific manufacturing company (to which I have no idea of) but I believe we no longer produce items using that manufacturer ( which is why they are discontinued).

Other than that, I really have no clue =(

Sorry!
Perhaps an explanation for WHY they aren't available...
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM

You would have to buy atleast 100 sets to get anyone to even consider making a run. I originally wanted black but I was blessed with a chrome set from one of my people. Only other clear lenses that kind of fit are the E36 headlights for a beamer. They make e36 glass lenses with projectors as we all know...I'd look into retrofitting those.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
You would have to buy atleast 100 sets to get anyone to even consider making a run. I originally wanted black but I was blessed with a chrome set from one of my people. Only other clear lenses that kind of fit are the E36 headlights for a beamer. They make e36 glass lenses with projectors as we all know...I'd look into retrofitting those.
i have seen people do retrofits even with fluted glass, and tbh it depends on the layout of the flutes as to whether you'll have issues.... as well as the distance betwen the projector lens and the fluted lens. The closer the better, since the projector output will only have 3-4 in^2 of fluted glass to contend with, rather than the whole face of it.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933

100 sets? that seems kind of high to me..Also NO e36 projectors are not a viable substitute. Unless your only intentions are ruining the car by hacking the crap out of the radiator support. Ive done it like many others, however Ill never do it again. The clear ebay glass was made from a direct mold of the stock glass, so it could be made again. No point in making black/chrome or all chrome brackets/housings, thats a waste of time.

As far as Im concerned those clear ebay headlights are one of the best aftermarket mods made for the 3rd gen. ever. Even though everybody bashed them when they came out; probably because they knew people would be driving around with 9004 bulbs in them, claiming its "better than stock"

The ability to have amazing headlight output + glass + 100% flush + not hacking up the car = more than anyone with an e36 conversion can say, even those that took the time to do an e36 conversion the right way..

Fact of the matter is I was lucky enough to snag a pair of the ebay headlights before they were gone. So if another run never happens I cant say thatd bother me too much..but with the shear amount of OGs and people that actually mod there 3rd gen left around this forum youd think there would be the motivation to get some made..especially with the knowledge and resources some around here have..
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
100 sets? that seems kind of high to me..Also NO e36 projectors are not a viable substitute. Unless your only intentions are ruining the car by hacking the crap out of the radiator support. Ive done it like many others, however Ill never do it again. The clear ebay glass was made from a direct mold of the stock glass, so it could be made again. No point in making black/chrome or all chrome brackets/housings, thats a waste of time.

As far as Im concerned those clear ebay headlights are one of the best aftermarket mods made for the 3rd gen. ever. Even though everybody bashed them when they came out; probably because they knew people would be driving around with 9004 bulbs in them, claiming its "better than stock"

The ability to have amazing headlight output + glass + 100% flush + not hacking up the car = more than anyone with an e36 conversion can say, even those that took the time to do an e36 conversion the right way..

Fact of the matter is I was lucky enough to snag a pair of the ebay headlights before they were gone. So if another run never happens I cant say thatd bother me too much..but with the shear amount of OGs and people that actually mod there 3rd gen left around this forum youd think there would be the motivation to get some made..especially with the knowledge and resources some around here have..
I'm not saying the e36's are a good substitute but that there the only lenses out there that come close to fitting. Fortunately I have a set of clear euro lenses on my 3G that need some miromoto's fitted into them. Keep trying to get some made...I'd copp another pair if a run is made!!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DMad8724

yea the reason we bashed them is because 99.9% of the people that got them either installed them as they were, or put in a HID kit (if not a blue/purple HID kit) and called it "good" because "i can see better". The only thing aiming the light on the stock lamps is the fluting, because unlike cars from the late 90s onward, the chrome reflector is smooth rather than fluted (such as the 5.5gen's lights)

cheap/poor people have a horrible habit of doing all the wrong mods to their cars... while ignoring the important stuff either due to ignorance or stubbornness. And 3rd gens are usually a poor/cheap person's car.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
for side-by-side retrofits such as J30

Note dust on my hand

I had to do the same for my Z31 retro as well (mini projectors in what turned out to be a bad choice in aftermarket headlight housings)

CapedCadaver: Did you ever finish retroing them j30 dual projectors?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
i died from it a few years ago...I'm feeling much better now though
Lol> Greeny: I Think I died as well too!....Ive cut up my many shares of headlights.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
CapedCadaver: Did you ever finish retroing them j30 dual projectors?
no, all that stuff got thrown out when i moved out of my grandparents' house in 2009. INCLUDING a nice-shifting fully-functional VG5 transmission
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM

I did

I usually keep things under wraps but whatever, it's headlights, it's nothing too unique. I did put my own twist on it though. It's quite an upgrade even with the stock lenses.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Hectic
I did

I usually keep things under wraps but whatever, it's headlights, it's nothing too unique. I did put my own twist on it though. It's quite an upgrade even with the stock lenses.
stock lenses as in the fluted glass maxima stuff? or stock as in the stock J30 projector lenses?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM

Maxima lens. Like I said in one of those PMs I sent you, I've had some a31 lights for years but eventually realized I wouldn't be satisfied with the alignment and fitment of anything but the factory lenses. Glad I held out.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Hectic: what are you using for your headlights? To do ur retrofit?