3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Retrofit heated mirrors onto an SE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:38 PM

Retrofit heated mirrors onto an SE?

I was at the junkyard this morning getting a speedometer since the one I got before is crapping out constantly, gave up on that, decided I needed to find some wheel speed sensors for my ABS (apparently this is a really uncommon option on 1990 SEs because I have not seen a yard car with ABS. At all. And to boot, the interchange is 89-90 Maximas ONLY... awesome)

Anyways, cutting my rambling short. I was rummaging around the yard and found a GXE with heated mirrors, and I got to thinking - they look similar enough that I do believe that they'd fit on my 1990 SE, and assuming I got the wiring harness and dash switch, I could totally dig putting a set of these on my car... buuuuut, I'm not sure if its as simple as getting the two mirrors, the switch and the harness that feeds from the switch to the mirrors.

Firstly, anyone got any idea what I'd need to accomplish this (Mirrors, switch...?) secondly is it even feasible, I mean are they even a direct swap for my SE mirrors? What years can I swap from? I don't remember what year the other Maxima was, I think it was a 93?

I can live with bolt/stud holes not lining up, I can always use a die grinder to widen the existing holes or drill new ones in the door's mirror pocket so long as the mirrors themselves actually fit the mirror pocket/contour of the door.

Maybe its a crazy idea, but whilst I'm sitting here in line at the store, I figured I'd throw this out there, see if its doable. Sorry if this is long, typing it up on my phone so no idea of the scale here!
Old 11-29-2013, 11:54 AM

The door and main harnesses are prewired on all trims, but it ends there, you would have to pull and add one or two wires to the dash harness. Or just replace the dash harness with one wired for heated mirrors.

I did get an antenna mast for you, but the nylon wire was broken, they are repairable though by melting and welding the two pieces together. I've had it for awhile now, kind of held out for another one that doesn't need repaired and the speedometer, it's been slim pickins at the yards.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Levsimus
(snip) decided I needed to find some wheel speed sensors for my ABS (apparently this is a really uncommon option on 1990 SEs because I have not seen a yard car with ABS.
Change your car from an ABS to a non-ABS car. Less components to potentially fail and easier and cheaper to find parts for when they do.
Firstly, anyone got any idea what I'd need to accomplish this (Mirrors, switch...?)
Mirrors, switch - yes, at a minimum.
secondly is it even feasible, I mean are they even a direct swap for my SE mirrors?
Yes.
What years can I swap from?
1989 - 1994
I can live with bolt/stud holes not lining up, I can always use a die grinder to widen the existing holes or drill new ones in the door's mirror pocket so long as the mirrors themselves actually fit the mirror pocket/contour of the door.
They are a direct bolt-on. No drilling or grinding should be necessary.
Maybe its a crazy idea,
Naaah, not a crazy idea at all.

What is crazy is worrying about heated mirrors when your car has brake issues that need fixing!
I figured I'd throw this out there, see if its doable.
I would mount the mirrors, change out the switch in the dash, then run new wire(s) for the heating element. The heating element is just a resistor, needing only power and ground that is switched by the mirror control on the dash. Forget changing the entire dash harness like the PP said, that would require an enormous amount of work pulling the whole dash and replacing the harness. Just run one or two new wires for power and ground to each mirror, then connect them to the switch for the heated mirrors that you pull out of the yard car (or install a new switch for the heat and keep your existing mirror switch).

No matter what you do, do not expect much improvement. I live in a land of ice and snow, I do not have heated mirrors on my max and not once have I ever needed them (to melt snow/defrost the glass, etc).

IOW heated mirrors are pretty much a useless, unnecessary option IMHO.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:05 PM

ive never come across a scenario where ive needed to use heated mirrors, imo its alot of work for minimal gain to convert to them
Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
The door and main harnesses are prewired on all trims, but it ends there, you would have to pull and add one or two wires to the dash harness. Or just replace the dash harness with one wired for heated mirrors.

I did get an antenna mast for you, but the nylon wire was broken, they are repairable though by melting and welding the two pieces together. I've had it for awhile now, kind of held out for another one that doesn't need repaired and the speedometer, it's been slim pickins at the yards.
Prewired even on my older model? Interesting. I suspected it might be, but wasn't sure.

As far as the antenna and speedo, don't sweat it, I got an antenna I've yet to install, it seemed straight when I extended it at the yard by hand. I really ought to get around to installing it so I can return it if its bad. I noticed someone was going around collecting masts at the NoPo yard, one of the cars had like three of the motor/actuators in it, sans masts lol... was that you?

Got a speedo that I'm unsure if works or not, haven't installed that either. I JUST buttoned up the dash when this latest yard speedo started acting up. Fingers crossed this one works. Swapping clusters is easy, I'm just lazy. I need to replace the heater core anyways so I suppose it has to come out regardless

Originally Posted by GluteusMaximus
Change your car from an ABS to a non-ABS car. Less components to potentially fail and easier and cheaper to find parts for when they do.
I like having ABS, its just never worked since I've had the car, both front sensors are broken because the wires were apparently routed wrong at some point and got torn out of the sensors by the tie rod. I want to get it working again but finding these sensors is a pain since they didn't seem to make very many SEs with it from 89 thru 90 - with that said my shop has a great used parts network so I'll just have them do the legwork and get them for cheap. I can probably actually get the entire wiring harness for the heated mirror assembly for pretty cheap just by having our parts supplier do the work for me. I've got to pull the dash for heater core replacement so I'll have most of that crap apart already. Anyways, thankfully the brakes work fine otherwise though - but calipers probably due for replacement due to age. When I pulled the motor a few months ago, I had everything apart and holy hell one of the front calipers was almost impossible to compress Probably replace all four calipers next time Napa does a Second Saturday sale, cheap insurance!

On all other notes, thank you for the input! I admit you're probably right on not needing heated mirrors but I like the little stuff, even if its not really all that useful - I'm still on the fence about doing a powered rear-view mirror, among other things, and on the lookout for a HUD and power seats as well. Feaaaatures!

Last edited by Levsimus; 11-29-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 PM

3rd gen ABS is meh, when i had mine i modified it so the ABS never kicked in. cant stand ABS in general
Old 11-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
3rd gen ABS is meh, when i had mine i modified it so the ABS never kicked in. cant stand ABS in general
Eh, I'd rather have it myself. No point in it being in the car if its not working, might as well get 'er fixed, I say. Gives me a good excuse to tinker anyhow. I rather enjoy wrenching on this car
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Prewired even on my older model? Interesting. I suspected it might be, but wasn't sure.

As far as the antenna and speedo, don't sweat it, I got an antenna I've yet to install, it seemed straight when I extended it at the yard by hand. I really ought to get around to installing it so I can return it if its bad. I noticed someone was going around collecting masts at the NoPo yard, one of the cars had like three of the motor/actuators in it, sans masts lol... was that you?

Got a speedo that I'm unsure if works or not, haven't installed that either. I JUST buttoned up the dash when this latest yard speedo started acting up. Fingers crossed this one works. Swapping clusters is easy, I'm just lazy. I need to replace the heater core anyways so I suppose it has to come out regardless
Pretty sure it's prewired on all years. I don't ever recall seeing one without the blue female connector in the doors.

I haven't been to the North yard for several months, so someone else is to blame for the missing antennae. They are usually the first thing to go. A lot of them get to the yard already missing the antenna because the owner removed or broke it either because it was bent or the guide wire broke.

If you're having continued problems with speedos, it's possible the speed sensor is to blame, I think you already ruled that out though IIRC.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 PM

i find my heated mirrors on my 94 se very useful every winter. i don't have to scrape or spray my mirrors with anything. best of all, they always clear up within a minute
Old 12-04-2013, 05:01 PM

I've always used my heated mirrors in the cold and when it's raining. And then there is my power fold feature that I use constantly. As for the OP; I would imagine your car would be per wired for the heated function.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 AM

I was at the junkyard this morning getting a speedometer since the one I got before is crapping out constantly, gave up on that, decided I needed to find some wheel speed sensors for my ABS (apparently this is a really uncommon option on 1990 SEs because I have not seen a yard car with ABS. At all. And to boot, the interchange is 89-90 Maximas ONLY... awesome)

Anyways, cutting my rambling short. I was rummaging around the yard and found a GXE with heated mirrors, and I got to thinking - they look similar enough that I do believe that they'd fit on my 1990 SE, and assuming I got the wiring harness and dash switch, I could totally dig putting a set of these on my car... buuuuut, I'm not sure if its as simple as getting the two mirrors, the switch and the harness that feeds from the switch to the mirrors.
Heated mirrors ar.e great...especially when there's condensation or when it's snowing.

Have you looked on ebay for the speed sensors? I ask cause I know how difficult finding used sensors will be in the JY and that's if there not broken.
Get the mirrors, switch and what ever wiring you need to swap in the heated mirrors. Wish I had ABS on MAX when I slid in the rain because my brakes locked up when some idiot pulled out in front of me so this *** could make an illegal turn.

Last edited by shiloh51933; 12-06-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
I've always used my heated mirrors in the cold and when it's raining. And then there is my power fold feature that I use constantly. As for the OP; I would imagine your car would be per wired for the heated function.
Thanks for reminding me that i still have to wire my power folding mirrors. I'll do it in the spring. Too cold to do now in Ohio
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
Have you looked on ebay for the speed sensors
Not to any great degree, no. Our used parts supplier said they don't have any either, so forums or eBay are my next steps it would seem.

And what's all this about power folding mirrors?? Since when was this an option? I have no practical need for this feature but if it's Oem, I might have to find me some of these heated folding mirrors!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Not to any great degree, no. Our used parts supplier said they don't have any either, so forums or eBay are my next steps it would seem.

And what's all this about power folding mirrors?? Since when was this an option? I have no practical need for this feature but if it's Oem, I might have to find me some of these heated folding mirrors!
The power fold feature was never available for the 3rd gens to my knowledge. I jumped the gun on this due to all the HONDA guys doing the JDM power folding mirror conversion. Since I saw none available for the 3rd gen max, I went a little deeper and figured how to do it while maintaining the factory housings.